Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The P35/Browning Hi Power in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Sounds like a great project gun that came out exceptionally well. Holster-wise, I've been pretty satisfied with my Galco Royal Guard horsehide IWB that I've used for years-mine is their RG213, which works perfectly for both the Hi Power and a 5" 1911.

Best, Jon
    Quick semi-corrective note: Apparently the Galco Royal Guard has slightly different order numbers for right- and left-handed models; a Right-Hand model is RG212, the Left is RG213. The 2013 and later Generation 2 Royal Guards (which now have a sweat shield and slightly modified, reportedly more aggressive cant) have a "B" suffix to the model number. Still rough-out horsehide. I've had several of the original "Gen 1" Royal Guards, for Beretta 92, SIG P225/P228/P229 and for 1911/Hi Power. They've all been quite good, comfort-, concealment-, and operatically-wise.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-24-2017 at 12:20 PM.

I'm no expert but here's my 2 cents anyway. I'dkeep an eye on gunbroker for a decent Isreali Mk III which can be had for $400-500. Check the date codes to get one with a forged frame. A lot of them have fresh parkerizing which I find appealing and appropriate for a classic military sidearm. Slap a set of Trijicon sights and Spegel checkered grips and see if that setup doesn't scratch your itch. If you end up not liking it you can easily get your money back out of the Hi-Power and parts (you haven't paid for any labor), and if you want to go all out you're only a few hundred bucks away from an upgraded trigger, safety, and maybe barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I'm no expert but here's my 2 cents anyway. I'dkeep an eye on gunbroker for a decent Isreali Mk III which can be had for $400-500. Check the date codes to get one with a forged frame. A lot of them have fresh parkerizing which I find appealing and appropriate for a classic military sidearm. Slap a set of Trijicon sights and Spegel checkered grips and see if that setup doesn't scratch your itch. If you end up not liking it you can easily get your money back out of the Hi-Power and parts (you haven't paid for any labor), and if you want to go all out you're only a few hundred bucks away from an upgraded trigger, safety, and maybe barrel.
    Especially in a parkerized, matte, or epoxied finish Hi Power, why would you want a forged frame instead of a cast one? Most Mk IIIs (except for relatively early production 9mm ones) will be cast anyhow, which is harder and considered to be significantly more durable. The impetus for the stronger cast frames came about due to the development of the .40 Hi Power, where the forged frames were found to possess insufficient durability; concurrent with .40 production, FN standardized the cast frames (and more thorough-hardened components) throughout the Hi Power production line-up.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-29-2017 at 04:55 PM.

So this thread reminded me that I had a C series Belgian beauty sitting in the back of the safe, in a classy purple evening gown, with gold accents (aka Crown Royal bag).

I decided I had better undress her and take a look.

For a piece made in 1969, it has aged fairly well, and it appears that it was carried more than shot. An old trooper buddy hit me up, when he was needing some cash, and I helped him out. This thread reminded me of it, so I decided to snap a couple pics.

At the time I remember him talking about "C series" and "red grips" like they were supposed to mean something (to me). I have never really been into BHPs and was just helping him out, so I only half listened. I should have paid better attention in retrospect.

I have heard a couple different stories/versions about the red plastic grip inserts, but never from anyone I know as an SME.

I looked on GB today and was surprised to see what a C series went for . The one on GB is a little nicer than mine though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/606510657

I really should not participate in threads like this, as they usually end up getting the "Project" monkey firmly attached to my back.

Looks like about all that gun needs is to be shot some.

Very nice.

Hammertime
    Okay wow I checked the safe because my dad had an unshot Hi Power that looks just like your C series. Turns out it is a T series HP in perfect condition.

I am also shocked at what these are going for on Gunbroker.

They're so damn pretty.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Okay wow I checked the safe because my dad had an unshot Hi Power that looks just like your C series. Turns out it is a T series HP in perfect condition.

I am also shocked at what these are going for on Gunbroker.

Yeah I was pretty surprised myself.

I guess it is a perspective thing.

When I think of BHPs, I think of the cardboard boxes full of 1951 Helwans, CZs, P35s and other frankenguns that I have cobbled together overseas for various people/reasons. Literally sometimes making rear sights with the file from my leatherman, and other such nonsense. It is not until these threads that I get reminded of the fact that there are a bunch of ones that don't look like they came off the set of "The Road Warrior".

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I always seem to be a few days late to the picnic on these great threads.... Lots of good info here as usual. When on my own time, I carried one pretty exclusively a few years back. Now maybe more to laziness, I tend to either stick a snub in my belt or strap on something more substantial revolver-wise in the woods. No doubt that the BHP, in all its forms, is perhaps THE sexiest autoloader ever made. We're talking "Grace Kelly sexy" here of course. (Some of the younger guys prolly googling the name now...lol) Currently, there is a stock Practical (minus the lost Pachmayr wrap arounds) and a slightly Novak modified MKII sitting in the safe.

Personally, I dont see a difference in the out-of-the-box abilities of the BHP vs the 1911. Both are designs from a different era that while certainly able to run stock...really require a bit of TLC to be treated as a 21st Century defensive handgun. Ive found both my triggers to tune quite easily. The Practical has the mag safety still installed, while the MKII has it removed. A bit of polishing on the magazine face and the shoe does wonders. Same with a bit of Flitz and patience on the rest of the trigger and transfer bar components. Folks seem to want the reset to mimic the 1911 or the Glock, but the geometry of the components make that next to impossible. Both of mine have the "tactile click" but its subtle and van be easily blown thru. Muscle memory here. Same with the safety. The older teeny stock ones are next to useless (kinda like to old teeny 1911 safetys) but a newer MKIII or a C&S solves that. Clean out the frame detent divot CAREFULLY with a pin drill, and give a bit of attention to the spring and detent ball tension and you can get a quite satifying result.

The older sights just stink if you're over the age of about 25. Better off just using the entire slide as an index point. The MKIIIs arent too bad, better if you black out the rear bars. My MKII has a set of Novak's and a "Ray Charles" fiber front and wide notch rear that matches my own middle aged wide notch rear. Makes hitting possible even when I loose my cheaters.

Like my lovely wife, they can be finicky and require subtle observation to tune into. Theres a lot of information out there on spring weights that I found confusing but very important if you want a happy relationship. Pay attention to the bullet weights too. There are a few 'smiths that recommend the 115s exclusively for the older forged frames, and certainly not +P in those.

There is a gentleman out of Toole, UT named Wes who runs an outfit called Privateer Leather. He's a BHP diehard himself and makes some really nice rigs for the gun. I cannot recommend him enough. I have several, including the "Navigant" that actually came about after a bit of discussion with me on a high ride rig. Check him out for holsters.

Here's the all day/workaday MKII:

screen capture

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

There is a gentleman out of Toole, UT named Wes who runs an outfit called Privateer Leather. He's a BHP diehard himself and makes some really nice rigs for the gun. I cannot recommend him enough. I have several, including the "Navigant" that actually came about after a bit of discussion with me on a high ride rig. Check him out for holsters.
    +1 for Wes, he is the first holster guy I have ever found who completely gets the HiPower. He built his "Cutthroat" models (very similar to Sparks VM2) for both my full size and compact (Argy Detective) BHP's. His work is absolutely as good as Sparks in terms of quality and durability, and I frankly find his Cutthroat design a better fit for me than the original VM2 I have. Add to that his work is about half the cost and half the wait time.
    Last edited by fatdog; 03-30-2017 at 11:09 AM.

User Tag List