Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Department history

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Department history

I occasionally scroll through the department's historical photographs and records for fun. I'm waiting on a search warrant to be granted and was killing some time when I ran across this:

The Indianapolis Police Department’s recruit class which was appointed Oct. 21, 1968 had a large number of male and female members. When the scores for accuracy with a .38 pistol on the firing range were calculated, Gracie Bickel, a 22-year-old former beautician, had the highest score – 275 out of a possible 300. She was the first female police officer in Indianapolis history to achieve this distinction. She had never handled firearms prior to applying to IPD.
    “I just did what I was told and practiced a lot,” Officer Bickel said. Having 20-20 vision was apparently part of her skill set. The graduate of Central Beauty College began shooting at the bull’s eye but soon was targeting the center of the chest on the male figure on the cardboard target. Officer Bickel also became skilled at skeet shooting with a shotgun. Her male classmates all came up to congratulate her after she finished first.
    When her class graduated on Jan. 25, 1969, Officer Bickel received a special trophy in recognition of her marksmanship. Most of the 20 women in her class, including Officer Bickel, became the first female dispatchers in IPD history after graduation.
    Officer Bickel was in charge of the IPD Indoor Range later in her career and, from 1978 on, she was in the Missing Persons Bureau. She resigned on March 9, 1980 to raise a child. She married Patrolman Robert Layton of the Indianapolis Police Department (and later the Marion County Crime Laboratory). They reside in central Indiana.
    Also: 1967 IPD women's pistol team:

and...some things never change as this 1903 cartoon shows:

1973 police car interior:

1966 Plymouth:

1953 Traffic branch photo:

-withdrawn-
    Last edited by blues; 03-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Very cool, BBI. Love the vintage images. (Sorry for the blank reply above but I wanted to make sure first that you didn't want to keep this thread strictly about your dept.)

Here's some images from back before U.S. Customs ceased operations under the Treasury Dept. and morphed into ICE under Homeland Security in 2003.

I'm still trying to find some images of when Customs agents used to patrol the southwest border on horseback way back when but I'm having a hard time finding them online.

The images below while not mine depict a couple of the types of operations I was fortunate enough to participate in during my 17 years in South FL. I missed out on the stuff in the final image which contains a number of pix. (I'm not that damn old!)

The former U.S. Customs Service was the nation's oldest federal law enforcement agency, created in July of 1789 by an act of the U.S. Congress. In it's modern era, the U.S. Customs Service Office of Investigation's Special Agents conducted criminal investigations in the areas of narcotics smuggling and interdiction, money laundering, import fraud, cargo theft, auto theft, arms smuggling and high tech/export violations. In 2003 the U.S. Customs Service was formally disbanded and merged into the Department of Homeland Security.

Last edited by blues; 03-19-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Yeah, I meant for it to be a thread for anyone to share their department historical what-nots.

Department history

Cool stuff in here. I remember when I was in elementary school Customs came and did a demo. They had agents fast rope out of a MD500E with Steyr Augs. 10 year old Mind was blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 03-19-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Cool stuff in here. I remember when I was in elementary school Customs came and did a demo. They had agents fast rope out of a MD500E with Steyr Augs. 10 year old Mind was blown.
    I was one of those guys assigned an AUG...and I think I can recall when some of the guys on my SRT team did some fast roping demos. When I worked out of Homestead AFB where our air wing was located, we participated in the air shows as well. Pretty cool stuff back then.

When I was about the same age as you my neighbor's dad (a Customs Inspector) came to our school and arranged for us to "search" a ship with his crew on the Hudson River. Never suspected that some day I'd join the agency that employed him, albeit in a different part of the organization.

Another fun outreach was having the narcotics detector dogs perform at public libraries and other venues. I once set my wife up when we were coming home from abroad and she got freaked when one of the dogs alerted on her bag as we prepared to go through Customs.

Name:  Cash - Edited.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  Scan_008.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  Scan_018.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  77.4 KB

Which one of those dudes is you Blues?

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    One of the ones standing out of the line of fire in both images...

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    The wiseass on the left taking a moment after an entry...

Name:  Scan_009 - Edited.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  60.4 KB

User Tag List