Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Department history

I love the 440 emblem!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Those of you who started out with revolvers.

Did you carry dump pouches or speed loaders? How useful where dump pouches?
    LSP issued dump pouches and I dumped them for speed loaders as soon as i graduated the academy in 1978. Speed loaders and a 6 round belt slide until I moved into investigations. I personally thought the dump pouches were worthless, but that just me. I actually remember an idiot wearing them flap up. Guess he was going to stand on his head to reload.....
    Last edited by LSP552; 04-11-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Those of you who started out with revolvers.

Did you carry dump pouches or speed loaders? How useful where dump pouches?
    I started with Dade Screw Machine Co. speedloaders in '77 in a quad pouch. Some of the Olde Guys were very fast from belt loops loading 2 at a time.

We were a "any revolver .38spl or better you could qual with" agency, except no .44mag. You could carry a .44spl round in your M29, but no magnums. Several guy carried .41 mags, most .357. I started with a 6.5" M27.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I think up until sometime in the '70's, most agencies in SoCal specified the dates when you could switch from long sleeve to short sleeve shirts and back again.
    We still do, although it's opened up a bit with some 'optional' months where either is ok. I remember them as AMMO. April May March October. You can wear short or long those months. Any other "warm" month, S/S only. Any other "cold" month, L/S only. Exceptions exist for L/S for tac units, etc.

We used to have mandated uniforms based on month with a transition month, even though we span three states from just north of New Orleans to just south of Nashville. We argued the point for years. They'd hate it when we pointed out that they trusted us to know when to shoot people but not when to wear the correct shirt.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    We used to have mandated uniforms based on month with a transition month, even though we span three states from just north of New Orleans to just south of Nashville. We argued the point for years. They'd hate it when we pointed out that they trusted us to know when to shoot people but not when to wear the correct shirt.
    That is an interesting area, geographically, a large piece of the Old South.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    That is an interesting area, geographically, a large piece of the Old South.
    We exist in large part to commemorate the history of the Old South......
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List