Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Annoying Habits

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The hillbilly equivalent is "the game isn't worth the candle." I said this in the Academy once, and class was stopped so that I could explain to the class what it meant. Hillbilly is my native language, and I am an official translator.

In short, it evokes a very low stakes poker match. The saying indicates the contents of the pot are so low, the candle is the most valuable thing on the table, thus the game is not worth the candle burning so that it can be played.
    Learning has occurred.

As a keen student of aphorisms, I appreciate the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The hillbilly equivalent is "the game isn't worth the candle." I said this in the Academy once, and class was stopped so that I could explain to the class what it meant. Hillbilly is my native language, and I am an official translator.

In short, it evokes a very low stakes poker match. The saying indicates the contents of the pot are so low, the candle is the most valuable thing on the table, thus the game is not worth the candle burning so that it can be played.
    Excuse me Professor, but shouldn't that be "ain't"?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    IF YOU USE THE TOILET CLEAN IT!!!! HOW HARD IS THIS???

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Excuse me Professor, but shouldn't that be "ain't"?
    ain't, or hain't, are also acceptable. Depends on which hill or holler you're from, I reckon.

"Ain't" is how I heard it down by Cut and Shoot
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    "Ain't" is how I heard it down by Cut and Shoot

I've got a friend who actually studies the linguistic variations as a hobby. There's actual names for the various dialects of hillbillies based on region, how much scottish/irish influences the grammar, etc. Maps of how dialects traveled, etc.

Site Supporter
    Going to a restaurant where the menu is posted and you can study it. Then you order at a counter. Then engage a long conversation of indecision for your all gang of unruly kids and discuss the nutritional variants of each sandwich. Figure it out before, Mommy and Daddy.

SO dudes at a match who preface every discussion and call with : At the Nationals , I blah, blah - ed and I calleded infraction Blah - Blah. Well, aren't you so special!
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 04-24-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Where I live, a lot of the rural paved roads don't have a center stripe. A lot of folks seem to think that makes it ok to drive down the center and just swerve to the side when they see a car coming. Drives me nuts.

I realize that that's normal on the smaller dirt roads, but on two-lane blacktop? Move over!

Eh. If the roads are in a similar condition as over here, the shoulder of the road may not be in such a great condition.

When you can't rely on the side of the road not collapsing under your tires, it tends to condition people towards staying on the middle part when possible.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List