Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excitement on I-20

Excitement on I-20

So, I'm toodling east on I-20 in GA near Hotlanta in a constuction zone, doing the speed limit int he right lane because I am a goodly law abiding citizen and because Waze has ID'd a couple of PoPo vehicles coming up. I notice a couple of conspicuous identical white SUV's coming up fast behind me in the passing lane and slow it down further. The pass me and I see Volusia county Sheriff markings on the sides. Right about then I see 2 state police cars on the right and the literally pull out and virtually cut me off when I am doing 50 MPH into them broadsides.

I slow down and all 4 vehicles take off fast. About a 1/2 mile up or so I see them light someone up and multipel vehicles start pulling to the right as I am closing in. Most of the vehicles in front of me are just sliding past in the left lane as the shoulder and now right lanes are blocked. The vehicle in front of me is trying to get far left with me in his right rear. The two Volusia vehicles block the left lane all the way to to median and we are now front row spectators.

There are a BUNCH of vehicles, hard to count but multiple unmarked vehicles in addition to the 4 marked ones that I can see. Dudes start jumping out, pulling on bulletproof vests and forming a skirmish line right in front of me. I see a couple of FBI windbreaker type jackets far right. I don't see any long guns but it dawns on me that this is about to get real. It also dawns on me that there is at best 1 SUV between me and the action maybe 35-50 yards in front of me tops, and cars aren't too good at stopping bullets. I am now contemplating crawling down behind the engine block or pulling a Yeager and jumping in to the median ditch.

Before I can act I can see everyone pause and stutter-step, then start running back to their vehicles. A sport coupe of some sort breaks from the sea of vehicles and shoots out down the road. Moments later a veritable herd of vehicles takes off in hot pursuit.

We get back rolling and everything is clear road for about 5 miles or so and then I see lights ahead. I pulled out my cell phone, clicked record, pointed the camera and watched for the vehicle in front of me to hit their brakes. Yup, always happens.

Reviewing the video: Sure enough, lots more vehicles (unmarked multi-colored SUV, sedan, minivan & sport station wagon), what looks like a silver ragtop Miata or something similar nose down in the ditch and lots of people out of their vehicles. A Sheriff with a K9 is starting up the hill. Multiple others are running up the hill. I look up to the highway fence and see multiple people on both sides of the highway fence and at least one climbing over. It looks like there are houses ont he otehr side. Some unattended Collie is between the road and the last (9th!) LEO vehicle. ???

I kept rolling....

That's an awful lot of setup, staffing and coordination across County, State & Federal for taking down 1 2-seater vehicle that they clearly were expecting.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Rubber knecker
    i used to wannabe

Good thing you are signed up for Gabe's course.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just another day in Hotlanta!

Us boring civilian types don't see too much action in our mundane sheeply world. This is a good thing(tm).

I was impressed with the sheer # of vehicles and coordination across County/State/Federal. Curious what would bring in Feds although I guess the sport coupe could have come in from Alabama to the west.

I was also on the way to a training class. A while back I had almost come up short so I had thrown a stupidly excessive amount of ammo on the back. Multiple batches...better part of a 50 cal and 3 30 cal ammo cans full of 9mm.

Not that they needed it but it humorously occurred to my buddy that their secret/unknown logistical supply chain in my vehicle could have supplied enough pistol ammo to overthrow a small county.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 03-16-2017 at 05:31 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

"Pulling a Yeager..."

Ha! I think you just coined a phrase.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I was in my backyard taking a study break a week or two back when I heard a ton of sirens. Looked around and saw 6-8 vehicles - marked and unmarked - running code to a location probably 4-5 blocks away. Turned out to be this, so not really any real threat to me, even if I didn't know that at the time.

I went inside, locked my doors, and continued to study in the basement just in case... not my circus, not my monkeys.

GL and his mentor.

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    GL and his mentor.

Dayum, son, that's some GOOD HATE right there!

If you need that many guys to stop a car, you need to use an AT4 to take that asshole off the road
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List