Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
Blues - I agree with everything you said (as usual!). The difference here at PF is that a lot of us get the privilege of "rubbing shoulders" with shooters who are, literally, legendary; and, frankly, a lot of folks who through work or relationships, have access to shooting equipment and training opportunities that the average gun owner will NEVER have.

To whit, the new hawtness 9mm 1911ish things (whatever you call the thing that was the rage at SHOT and Wilson's new pistol). I have NO DOUBT those things are works of art, worth every penny they cost, but, frankly, the cost of just the pistol (not to mention magazines, holsters, etc) is more than most shooters will spend on a Glock/M&P/VP9/P320 AND all the ammo they'll ever shoot through it. I could buy a triple of G19s and attend 4-6 good training classes for the price of the Wilson. Doesn't mean the Wilson isn't worth the cost, just means that for 99.9% of us, it's completely economically unfeasible.

But, there are folks on this board who have the resources to get them and wring them out, and I don't doubt they'll be breaking all kinds of personal performance records with them. Does that mean the rest of us will get KILT ON DA STREETZ with our G19s? No, just means we won't look as good in the gunfight (kidding).

Even the "mid range" Px4CC with the appropriate Robar package will set you back nearly three Glocks, or one glock, a couple cases of ammo, and maybe a quality training course.

Again, not bashing any of these options, and, by God, for those of you who can afford them - good on ya! Buy all you can and keep the gun business growing.

On the question of Glocks vs DA/SA - I used to be issued an M11 (P228), and I've frequently told people that if I could get my beat up old M11 re-issued to me in place of my current issued P229R DAK in .40, I'd probably carry that Sig over my G19. Why? Because I loved that pistol, even if it was heavy and held less rounds than the smaller G19. It was easier to shoot well on low probability targets, and I could run it like a raped ape on speed drills. So, I can definitely understand the draw of the DA/SA pistol (in fact, I've been beating myself regularly to keep my cc in my wallet and not buy a P07, just because).

Anyway, none of this has much to do about the original topic, and I'm in agreement with the earlier comment that the PM9, G42/3, and Ruger LCP all seem like better contenders for the "modern derringer" title...
There is a big difference between the PX4cc and the Wilson. The PX4cc ends up being reasonable if you want the upgrades it offers while the Wilson is way too expensive in my opinion. The compact carry vs a Glock 19 isn't that big a gap either if you end up upgrading the G19 (beyond the sights you don't I suppose, but you can). You could get a 92g Brig Tac or equivalent refined Beretta then have nearly $1500 left for a G19, G43, and accessories for everything.