Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RFI Hunting Revolvers

Here are a few pics from a Water Buffalo Hunt I had in Australia in 2009. The load was a Hornady 300 gr xtp at 1250 fps. It worked well, although I would have prefered a 454, 475, or 500. Due to Australian Law I was limited to the revolver the outfitter had, which was a Ruger Redhawk in 44.
    Name:  DSCN0100.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  89.0 KBName:  DSCN0063.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  81.6 KB
    Last edited by jamautry; 03-16-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Two thoughts:

It sounds like you are leaning towards .44 Mag, which I think is a good idea. It's been described as the ".30-06 of the handgun world" and I think that is apt. However, if you decide for some reason you want something bigger, I'd suggest the .480 Ruger. I've limited exposure (about 20 rounds each) from both .454 and .480. I'm a big dude, and not terribly recoil sensitive, but I found the .454 to be too much in the recoil and blast department to really think I'd ever shoot it well. The .480 definitely had recoil, but it was sort of fun to shoot.

Also, I'm under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that you are in the 20's or 30's age bracket. While an optic may not be important now, as you age, it might become a thing you want. You could certainly switch platform into something that is optic ready, but it might be nice to plan ahead for it. I don't get attached to CCW type guns, but I get a little nostalgic about hunting implements that I've fed my family with. The Super Blackhawk Hunter scope mounting system is pretty nice. You could always use the irons until it was time to mount up a scope.

Do you handload?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Two thoughts:

It sounds like you are leaning towards .44 Mag, which I think is a good idea. It's been described as the ".30-06 of the handgun world" and I think that is apt. However, if you decide for some reason you want something bigger, I'd suggest the .480 Ruger. I've limited exposure (about 20 rounds each) from both .454 and .480. I'm a big dude, and not terribly recoil sensitive, but I found the .454 to be too much in the recoil and blast department to really think I'd ever shoot it well. The .480 definitely had recoil, but it was sort of fun to shoot.

The .480 looks interesting from some quick Google-Fu, but for my needs right now I am all but set on the .44. In my mind, I would get a 7-8" gun for hunting and a 4-5" gun for general backcountry use interchangeably with my G20.

Also, I'm under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that you are in the 20's or 30's age bracket. While an optic may not be important now, as you age, it might become a thing you want. You could certainly switch platform into something that is optic ready, but it might be nice to plan ahead for it. I don't get attached to CCW type guns, but I get a little nostalgic about hunting implements that I've fed my family with. The Super Blackhawk Hunter scope mounting system is pretty nice. You could always use the irons until it was time to mount up a scope.

Yes to the age bracket and I am 100% along with making sure it can take some glass. I am in the habit of buying guns for longevity, unless they are my Glocks.

Do you handload?

For this I will. Just starting out with .308 currently.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

My hunting revolver is a Freedom Arms 83 in .454 Casull. I also have one in .44 Magnum. They are the finest, most accurate factory revolver one can get as the cylinder is line-bored to that gun. The tolerances are amazingly tight, and the gun's accuracy and precision proves the tolerances are worth it. The only negative is the Model 83 is NOT safe with a round under the hammer, so the five-shot gun is really a four-shot. Recoil is stout and the muzzle blast is intense with full-power loads, but the .454 can easily be loaded to less than full-power. I like to load 260-grain bullets at a bit over 1200 fps and 300-grain bullets at no more than 1200 fps. The 300-grain loads are for hogs, and the 260-grain loads work for everything else I have tried.

Here is the Model 83 behind a Model 97. Big gun to carry. The Model 97 is much easier to tote.

PNWTO,

I have a bit of experience hunting with handguns, so I figure I will join the conversation.

This will likely be kind of a mix of random thoughts on the subject.

I definitely think you are on the right track sticking with a .44 magnum. I have killed stuff from small to large, and found the .44 can handle such chores well.

I prefer a Model 29/629 for all around use. That said, I have a small assortment of .44s that have been accumulated over the years, to include Redhawks, Bisley, Blackhawks, etc.

Many people really like single action revolvers for hunting, but it has been my experience that I personally shoot double action guns more accurately. I have tried about every frame style known, on the single action side, and still find an N Frame or Redhawk DA grip works best for me. But that is highly personal, and it is pretty hard to know what will work best for someone else. I would strongly suggest you don't go just by "what feels best" without actually shooting the different styles.

If you are looking to shoot top end, heavy for caliber loads, don't discount the Redhawk.

The Redhawk actually has a slightly longer cylinder that allows projectiles to be loaded a bit longer, thus allowing a heavier charge of powder. That said, you can load a typical single action Blackhawk with some pretty stout loads, so I would not worry about maxed out loads, especially when just getting started. In fact, I would avoid them.

Initially you are far better off practicing with the standard 10 grains Unique, 240/250 grain cast SWC that others have mention. I can attest that that load will drop Mule Deer with ease, and hogs, and coyotes, and rabbits, and.....

Precise shooting with heavy recoiling revolvers takes a bit of practice and it is a perishable skill. If I have not been shooting my heavy loads, I warm up for a while, trying to shoot the medium load (described above) precisely for a while, and slowly work up to the heavies. Then I step up to the 300-320 cast/H110 loads. I also limit my shooting with them to some degree, as they are hard on your wrist and hand bones, whether you may realize it or not. A couple of 50 round practice sessions with the heavy loads is usually sufficient for a warm up prior to hunting with them.

Like SLG, I am a very big fan of the 5" N Frames. I consider them the best balance of "shootability" and "packability" in a traditional belt rig.

I find the 4" N Frames best for just packing,

and the 6.5" best for shooting/hunting with iron sights.

The 5" is the Goldilocks length as far as I am concerned.

It packs well, and still has enough sight radius to allow precise longer shots.

Here is a pic of what I consider the "Classic" .44 mags.

A 4" 29-2, 6.5" 29-2, and a 7.5" Flattop.

Here is my 29-2 that I had cut back to 5"s, shown with a 4" Redhawk.

BTW, the holsters shown are Sparks 200AWs, and I find them to be great all around holsters.

When it comes to Redhawks, I actually prefer the 7.5" best for a hunting gun. It seems to balance best for me.

I tried a 5.5" and I did not care for the balance.

Continuing on with the topic..

One thing I do to keep my revolver/handgunning skills sharp is hunt small game with my hunting guns. It can be rather challenging, and even a somewhat distant ground squirrel can be a trophy.

Last summer my dad, daughter and I did a pack trip into some high mountain lakes, and I had my 5" 29 along. When we were down on the valley floor, we stopped and shot ground squirrels for a while, near a cattleman's line shack.

I was using a light load of 8.5 grains Unique and some 240 grain RNLs.

A great way to keep the skills sharp:

1 or 2 made it back into their holes, but the blood indicated that their omnivorous buddies would be feasting on them soon.

I don't shoot big guns very often. I am only repeating what I have read.

I think I read where Elmer Keith only fired 12 rounds of .44 Mag a week in practice. I read that John Taffin about ruined his wrists shooting the really big guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I don't shoot big guns very often. I am only repeating what I have read.

I think I read where Elmer Keith only fired 12 rounds of .44 Mag a week in practice. I read that John Taffin about ruined his wrists shooting the really big guns.
    The 10g unique load, which I learned about from Lost River, is not a punishing load. With full power loads, moderation is key. Even with the 10g load, I try to stop myself before I shoot 100 rounds. It's easy to want to keep shooting, but I don't think its smart for long term wear on the body.

Speaking of loads:

Years back I bought a bunch of 240 grain round nose lead loads from a guy that was getting out of the casting business.

If a person is buying bullets to reload, I would suggest skipping RNLs, and sticking with SWCs.

My 3 main loads:

Light load: 8.5 grains Unique/ 240 or 250 LSWC. Perfect for small game/paper punching.

Medium load: 10 grains Unique/ 240 or 250 LSWC. Perfect "all around" load. It will do 95% of what you need a big bore revolver to do.

Heavy load: 22 grains H110/ 240 or 300-340 LSWC or LBT wide meplat style. I shoot these sparingly. Pretty much restricted to large animal defense, large game hunting, like elk, dinosaurs, Mack Trucks, etc.

These have served me well for years, all are Smith friendly.

In Rugers you can safely bump up the heavy load 2 grains with no concern.

Using the above formula, you can do everything with 2 different powders, and 2 different projectiles. It makes loading and logistics very easy.

BTW, in regards to .44 Mags,

When out in the mountains/high desert, and not packing a rifle with me, just one of the 5" .44 mags, I never feel handicapped.

It may be one of the most under appreciated tools an outdoorsman can possess, though it has been in around for 60 or so years.

Having said that, I have no doubt I could do all that I typically do with a hot loaded .44 Special as well.

Now with the 3 main loads out of the way, I will add one more, I have mentioned this recently here in other threads. I have been shooting a fair amount of 185 grain double ended wadcutters. Pushed by 10 grains of Unique, they are great for small game and paper punching. Plus, I would not hesitate to use the load in one of my 29s for a self defense load, as the low recoil makes it rather easy to shoot well, and wadcutters tend to do pretty well on the terminal ballistic side.

User Tag List