Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: P225-A1

since there is no plans from Sig to make the 225A1 in .40 I'll stay with the 239

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    since there is no plans from Sig to make the 225A1 in .40 I'll stay with the 239
    More 9mm for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    More 9mm for me!
    not really I use a lot of 9mm for the games, like, target practice and matches, for self defense .40 S&W or .45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    Or perhaps consider using a P225A1 with Winchester 127 gr +P+, or similar. Seriously, even though the previous several guns I've obtained have been .40s, I've obtained them for a variety of reasons (i.e., in case of a future ammunition shortage, decent cartridge for wilderness/biking use, etc.), I really think that there isn't all that much that a .40 does that can't be done by a decent 9mm (regarding both cartridge and gun selection) with less drama (lower recoil/impulse pressure spike characteristics), cost, wear on platform. Not that the .40 is "bad," or not viable, but there are some trade-offs inherent to it, and 9mm has significantly moved up in the effectiveness scale in the previous several years.

Best, Jon

Vending Machine Operator

P225-A1

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Or perhaps consider using a P225A1 with Winchester 127 gr +P+, or similar. Seriously, even though the previous several guns I've obtained have been .40s, I've obtained them for a variety of reasons (i.e., in case of a future ammunition shortage, decent cartridge for wilderness/biking use, etc.), I really think that there isn't all that much that a .40 does that can't be done by a decent 9mm (regarding both cartridge and gun selection) with less drama (lower recoil/impulse pressure spike characteristics), cost, wear on platform. Not that the .40 is "bad," or not viable, but there are some trade-offs inherent to it, and 9mm has significantly moved up in the effectiveness scale in the previous several years.

Best, Jon
    I live in the mountains, so while I agree with you and I've retired my .40s in favor of Gold Dot 124+P 9mm for HD and carry, I carry FMJ .40 in the woods for greater punch against critters. In my opinion, it's a marvelous woods cartridge. Plus as a bonus the flat front makes the FMJ more viable against two legged critters than FMJ 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 03-16-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    By Achilles heel... do you mean the tendency of the feed lips to spread over time? I've heard that could lead to "nose diving."

I had a P6 that I put well over 1000 rounds through. And an original P225 for a short time. I did notice that the rounds tended to cantilever down a bit when feeding (i.e., nose dive). But I never had a FTF with either gun. Also never used HPs.

There's definitely less of a nose dive with my P239. Though it still not quite as direct as, say, a Beretta 92.
    Yep-but Jeep45238 is my certified and approved spokesman on this! I've spoken on it at length on this (and other) forums at length, but the P225 magazine feed lips were pretty much at the edge of their performance envelope, and pressure from loaded cartridges tended to spread their feed lips. They were workable UNTIL you needed to perform a slide lock reload, at which point the first cartridge would nose-dive and stumble, precluding the gun from going into battery, and also setting the stage for a hard-to-resolve double-feed jam. Apparently slide velocity was sufficient to overcome this problem when the slide was reciprocating from normal firing/chambering; it was only when you had to manually chamber the initial cartridge that the problem arose. The field-expedient fix was to download P225 magazines by 1-2 rounds. SIG apparently learned, and the later P239 has a totally different magazine, which ha been noted for being problem-free since its inception. I'm glad the P225A1 capitalizes on this, and the P228-like curved trigger guard is a bit more ergonomic than the P225's squared one-and easier to re-holster.

My assumption is that with the P225A1 using the solid stainless steel slide durability/longevity will be a bit longer with the new variation, and also more +p/+p+ can be cycled through with less wear.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Yep-but Jeep45238 is my certified and approved spokesman on this! I've spoken on it at length on this (and other) forums at length, but the P225 magazine feed lips were pretty much at the edge of their performance envelope, and pressure from loaded cartridges tended to spread their feed lips. They were workable UNTIL you needed to perform a slide lock reload, at which point the first cartridge would nose-dive and stumble, precluding the gun from going into battery, and also setting the stage for a hard-to-resolve double-feed jam. Apparently slide velocity was sufficient to overcome this problem when the slide was reciprocating from normal firing/chambering; it was only when you had to manually chamber the initial cartridge that the problem arose. The field-expedient fix was to download P225 magazines by 1-2 rounds. SIG apparently learned, and the later P239 has a totally different magazine, which ha been noted for being problem-free since its inception. I'm glad the P225A1 capitalizes on this, and the P228-like curved trigger guard is a bit more ergonomic than the P225's squared one-and easier to re-holster.

My assumption is that with the P225A1 using the solid stainless steel slide durability/longevity will be a bit longer with the new variation, and also more +p/+p+ can be cycled through with less wear.

Best, Jon
    Huh. You know, I do recall my P6 choking a time or two chambering from slide lock. So... I guess I can't say it never had a FTF. But it never had a FTF when firing... or when slingshotting... which corroborates exactly what you've described.

[QUOTE=JonInWA;577981]Or perhaps consider using a P225A1 with Winchester 127 gr +P+, or similar. Seriously, even though the previous several guns I've obtained have been .40s, I've obtained them for a variety of reasons (i.e., in case of a future ammunition shortage, decent cartridge for wilderness/biking use, etc.), I really think that there isn't all that much that a .40 does that can't be done by a decent 9mm (regarding both cartridge and gun selection) with less drama (lower recoil/impulse pressure spike characteristics), cost, wear on platform. Not that the .40 is "bad," or not viable, but there are some trade

I have a few 9mm guns the one I only carry is an H&K P-7 and that's because the few times I AIWB (road trips) the short barrel in the P-7 doesn't bother me when sitting/driving and by design, there is no way is going to go off.

Site Supporter

Best, Jon
    Well, spokesperson on a topic that I hoped I wouldn't be

Seriously, the mags were the reason why I didn't keep the p225 as my carry, or around at all. There were other harder to obtain parts, but nowhere near the delicacy or rarity of good oem mags. When you found them, they were very expensive/worn/part of a package that wouldn't get split up.

Now I've got a p226, still a west German, and am much much happier with it. I'm looking to augment it with a 229/239/225a1 down the road, but that's a ways off and the platform I'm leaning towards most is a 228/229, just since they have the most in common with a 226.

Vending Machine Operator
    I will never carry or seriously use my P6, and I kinda regret dropping the $400 on it for that reason. The lack of reliable magazines was a killer for me. However, I collect former police-issue handguns with markings, they're my favorite thing to collect, and it's a West German Interior Ministry (BMI) pistol, issued in 1979, with all papers, markings, box, even the police property # on the box, so I can't get rid of it. It's so, so ergonomically perfect, but the magazines are definitely...not optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Well, spokesperson on a topic that I hoped I wouldn't be

Seriously, the mags were the reason why I didn't keep the p225 as my carry, or around at all. There were other harder to obtain parts, but nowhere near the delicacy or rarity of good oem mags. When you found them, they were very expensive/worn/part of a package that wouldn't get split up.

Now I've got a p226, still a west German, and am much much happier with it. I'm looking to augment it with a 229/239/225a1 down the road, but that's a ways off and the platform I'm leaning towards most is a 228/229, just since they have the most in common with a 226.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List