Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P225-A1

Site Supporter
    I was gifted a 225-A1 for my wedding present last May. It is my main carry and dry-fire gun for the last 8 months (though only 4 months of live fire b/c knee surgery). I have 3500 rounds through it (and many more dry fire reps).

Practically, if you can carry this, you can carry a Glock 19, but in your case the capacity doesn't matter much. I think it carries just a bit better than the Glock 19 as the slightly thinner and more rounded butt tends to make less of a shelf for a shirt to hang up on.

I think it's one of the best Sig values for a new gun because it is essentially a Legion without the Legion non-sense on it. SRT, undercut trigger guard, and G10 grips. I've ended up with 8 magazines and they all work well. The thin mags are easy to conceal, but I did sand down the base plate edges off the mag I carry because they were too sharp and dug into me when I wear it without an undershirt.

It is a bit big and heavy for what it is, but that makes a quick full grip easy and the gun pleasant to shoot. I shoot is as well as I shot my 229. Since it's my only DA/SA 9mm it's nice that I can compete with it, carry it, and practice with it and it's a gun that doesn't feel like a compromise (again, capacity aside).

ETA: The front sight is recessed down into the slide a bit making some fiber optic sights (I tried the ones from Sig) unable to fit. I'm okay with the stock tritium sights for now. Would like a #6 front X-RAY, but they only sell sets for now.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 03-15-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Excellent thank you. Sounds like a winner for me. Not a lot of downsides.

This may be obvious to most of you guys but I was unaware, not being a Sig guy. I just had a return on a holster for the P225. A new gun owner bought a Sig P225 Shaggy only to find that his newly purchased "Original" P225 did not fit.

The gun is not marked as an A1 and he had no idea that it was a completely different pistol than the Original, original P225.

So just keep in mind that "The Original" P225 from Sig Sauer is not the same as the the original P225 and order holsters for the A1, at least when going with most Kydex manufacturers.

</PSA>
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 03-15-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Site Supporter
    If you want the P225 just because, that's good enough. There is a mystique for me about the P225, and it makes me think Jason Bourne. Haha

If you end up going the P225 route, please keep us updated. Did NY get rid of the even more insane 7 round mag limit?

One of the courts ruled it an arbitrary number and struck it down. I suppose it can be gray area as the court only rules over certain counties upstate. The state seems to have abandoned the 7 round rule anyway.

Mostly collecting info. If I end up buying one it'll be a long time from now.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have a 1979 West German interior ministry P6 that I am considering selling specifically to fund a P225A1 (more likely I'll just keep the P6 and save for the 225A1 so I have both).

It is a gun that I cannot justify for any practical purpose with my carry and home defense system revolving around the Glock Gen 4 9mms and a Walther PPS M1, but I didn't get into guns just for practical purposes. It's a svelte, ergonomic, aesthetically pleasing pistol. On my "will-buy" rather than "may-buy" list eventually.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The ergos of the P225 in both incarnations are superb. There is every sign that the new P225 A1 has eliminated the Achilles heel of the original, with its redesigned magazines. For what is primarily a concealed carry weapon, I do not find its 8 + 1 capacity to be inadequate in the least.

While other similar-sized handguns (such as a Glock 19 or an HK VP9/P2000/P30) may have lower weight, more weather-resistance, larger capacities and action alternatives, the P225A1 is still, in my opinion a very viable handgun-with the exceptional ergonomics being a significant factor in its favor (and in my opinion, the A1's ergos are slightly superior to the originals).

Best, Jon

All good to hear. Thank you.

how much are you guys finding these for?

User Tag List