Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: P225-A1

deleted.
    Last edited by Willard; 10-10-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    No, it's not really a one-handed re-holstering situation. Which would be nice to have... but, for me, isn't an absolute mandatory. I will take comfort and concealability over quick reholstering.

With a thick, 1.5 inch belt, it's very stable. The belt engages the "prong" at the end of the plastic clip, and keeps in place. And the tension of the belt and the body against the gun holds it pretty tight. I haven't tried sprinting... but a sprightly jaunt here and there isn't an issue. And actually, I did do a fair amount jogging one time, to get out of the rain. Gun stayed put.

It's not a full "combat grip" either. But I can still get my thumb behind the grip and get it out pretty quick.

No, it's not perfect. And that's why I waited almost 5 months for a $200 custom leather holster. Maybe there's still something that will work better out there. But I'm in no rush to wait another few months for something that...... might. So we'll see.
    I use the Mitch Rosen Clipper for my P239:

https://mitchrosen.com/order-online/...egory=10984035

Really well made, arrives in about 2 weeks.

Apropos of not much, but, site supporter JMCK can make all sorts of close-to-the-skin goodness for the P225 A1; IWB, AIWB, you name it. Just saying.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I have a hard time warming up to the 225A-1. I carried a 229 for a long time. It was my do everything pistol for concealed carry, classes, matches, etc. The newest ones have their issues but they are really a great overall package if you are willing to take the time to learn them and test them.

The 225 is really nice but it's not much smaller than a 229. Almost exactly the same height, length, and unloaded weight. The 225 is less than a 1/4" thinner and carries 7 fewer rounds. For a ban state pistol or a fun gun, I think it would be fine but I just don't know if it's worth it for anything else.

The P225A1 is an anomaly to me. My personal gun safe is just that a safe. Small and mediocre at best. I have a few friends with what I call dream rooms of multiple large safes full of all sorts of broomsticks and hand cannons. I have not been as blessed but am just as happy and content with my small safe. I know many don’t even have that. Each gun that makes its way into my limited space safe typically has to be useful for multiple purposes.

The P225 is one of those pistols that should do nothing for me. It’s too large to be a small gun. And too small to be a large gun. I lose the capacity of a P229 but keep the price. It’s not as small as the P365, which has a larger magazine capacity, PPS, Shield, or G42/43. But for some reason even though I would not personally carry it or use it as a nightstand gun and have better options as range toys, I still want one. I just find it sexy for lack of a better term.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I have a hard time warming up to the 225A-1. I carried a 229 for a long time. It was my do everything pistol for concealed carry, classes, matches, etc. The newest ones have their issues but they are really a great overall package if you are willing to take the time to learn them and test them.

The 225 is really nice but it's not much smaller than a 229. Almost exactly the same height, length, and unloaded weight. The 225 is less than a 1/4" thinner and carries 7 fewer rounds. For a ban state pistol or a fun gun, I think it would be fine but I just don't know if it's worth it for anything else.
    I don't know this, but isn't that the width at the widest point (slide in the 225's case). I think their grip widths (part I actually have to conceal) might have more of a difference?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I use the Mitch Rosen Clipper for my P239:

https://mitchrosen.com/order-online/...egory=10984035

Really well made, arrives in about 2 weeks.
    Interesting. How's the ride height? I find that keeping the grip low, roughly parallel with my belt conceals the best. Anything higher generally pukes forward over my belt.

I've been using a JM4 Tactical Magnetic holster, lately.

Works great for my P239 and my P245.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Interesting. How's the ride height? I find that keeping the grip low, roughly parallel with my belt conceals the best. Anything higher generally pukes forward over my belt.

I've been using a JM4 Tactical Magnetic holster, lately.

Works great for my P239 and my P245.
    Basically, the grip is at belt level. Have one for my P229 , works just as well. I don't really obsess that the grip might poke out a bit if my belt isn't as tight as it should be, many people around here wear phones and other accessories on the belts so something on your belt under a shirt doesn't scream "gun". I can wear either my 229 or 239 with a Hawaiian style shirt, no problema senior. With a T-shirt, maybe a wear a light vest, or a fleece vest if it's a bit chilly. I don't like kydex next to my skin, leather feels better.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 10-12-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Basically, the grip is at belt level. Have one for my P229 , works just as well. I don't really obsess that the grip might poke out a bit if my belt isn't as tight as it should be, many people around here wear phones and other accessories on the belts so something on your belt under a shirt doesn't scream "gun". I can wear either my 229 or 239 with a Hawaiian style shirt, no problema senior. With a T-shirt, maybe a wear a light vest, or a fleece vest if it's a bit chilly. I don't like kydex next to my skin, leather feels better.
    Yeah, I haven't been thrilled with Kydex. I've found that something flexible is a lot more comfortable than something rigid. I wear mine at 11:45 (for right hand draw)... as long as the grip is reasonably short, it really doesn't print.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post

Add me to the list of 6 or 7 who actually like the 239. It’s enough smaller than the 225a1 to make a difference to me. I understand the ban state mag issue because I commute to MA every day from RI. I’d be inclined to go 229 over the 225a1 for my uses since RI doesn’t have a mag ban (yet).

If I lived in a 10 rd state, then maybe I’d give the 225a1 another look.

User Tag List