Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Police "Interceptor" SUV

It could always be worse Rex, you could be riding two to an Impala. Literally the worst police vehicle ever built, rivaled only by the lumina.
    Getting in an explorer from an Impala feels like going from a one bedroom apartment to a 3,000 square foot house.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    It could always be worse Rex, you could be riding two to an Impala. Literally the worst police vehicle ever built, rivaled only by the lumina.
    Getting in an explorer from an Impala feels like going from a one bedroom apartment to a 3,000 square foot house.
    Never had the misfortune of driving a lumina on duty but did have a Chevy desiel wagon from 00' with 300K+ miles on it. So I'm assuming it's the same thing as it has a weight and height requirement.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Never had the misfortune of driving a lumina on duty but did have a Chevy desiel wagon from 00' with 300K+ miles on it. So I'm assuming it's the same thing as it has a weight and height requirement.
    The Impala came out in 2000 as the better lumina. 16 years later it is still total shit after many revisions and "improvements". So take it's predecessor, the origin of what is still shit after 16 years of "innovation", and use your imagination.

In my first posting with this agency, there were seven G-sleds in the fleet. Five were silver Dodge Intrepids - all the same year. One was a Gold Pontiac Grand Am widetrack (the supervisor's car, naturally), the last was a Grand Cherokee (also silver) for our "crime scene" vehicle. It was LOTS of fun doing surveillance, let me tell you.

When that crop of leased vehicles expired (circa 2005), we got an Impala, some mid-size Ford (don't remember what model), and four matching Dodges - what was the model smaller than the Intrepid? Don't remember, all I know was that they were all the same color, all had CRANK windows, and all had AM/FM radios - no tape deck, no CD player. I traveled the most so I pulled the Impala - at least it had power windows! But, I can tell you, driving from coastal SE TX to FLETC Artesia NM in a day was NO FUN AT ALL in that Impala...

When I got into a protection gig, the procurement folks at our HQ leased a fleet of black suburbans (soft), but had them tricked out like USSS vehicle - limo tint all the way around, light package, etc. Someone must have seen them in "Line of Fire" or something, and decided we had to have them. They also had run flats, which would go out of spec about once every 100 miles, and the darned things would shake like the front end was going to tear off. I can tell you, trying to do close-order "detail" driving at night with limo tint all the way around is NOT fun, or safe. Luckily, my Boss' staff was cool with paying to strip the tint and have them retinted to a workable shade. They also paid for new tires and wheels to get rid of those POS run flats.

Ah, yes, car stories...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    In my first posting with this agency, there were seven G-sleds in the fleet. Five were silver Dodge Intrepids - all the same year. One was a Gold Pontiac Grand Am widetrack (the supervisor's car, naturally), the last was a Grand Cherokee (also silver) for our "crime scene" vehicle. It was LOTS of fun doing surveillance, let me tell you.

When that crop of leased vehicles expired (circa 2005), we got an Impala, some mid-size Ford (don't remember what model), and four matching Dodges - what was the model smaller than the Intrepid? Don't remember, all I know was that they were all the same color, all had CRANK windows, and all had AM/FM radios - no tape deck, no CD player. I traveled the most so I pulled the Impala - at least it had power windows! But, I can tell you, driving from coastal SE TX to FLETC Artesia NM in a day was NO FUN AT ALL in that Impala...

When I got into a protection gig, the procurement folks at our HQ leased a fleet of black suburbans (soft), but had them tricked out like USSS vehicle - limo tint all the way around, light package, etc. Someone must have seen them in "Line of Fire" or something, and decided we had to have them. They also had run flats, which would go out of spec about once every 100 miles, and the darned things would shake like the front end was going to tear off. I can tell you, trying to do close-order "detail" driving at night with limo tint all the way around is NOT fun, or safe. Luckily, my Boss' staff was cool with paying to strip the tint and have them retinted to a workable shade. They also paid for new tires and wheels to get rid of those POS run flats.

Ah, yes, car stories...
    There's a guy on this board who had a fucking purple Dodge Neon as his first g-ride.

No, not me. I had a Focus and did a drug deal to switch very quickly into the Explorer. Most people seem to want the Chargers......

I remember growing up my favorite police car was the Dodge Diplomat. Don't know why, I just thought it looked cool. Now everytime Blues makes one of his posts reminiscing about the start of his career, I think of him cruising around in a Diplomat blasting Eminence Front by The Who on the way to a raid with a single wheelgun.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I still drive a Crown Vic daily...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    (snipped)

I remember growing up my favorite police car was the Dodge Diplomat. Don't know why, I just thought it looked cool. Now everytime Blues makes one of his posts reminiscing about the start of his career, I think of him cruising around in a Diplomat blasting Eminence Front by The Who on the way to a raid with a single wheelgun.
    I started my LEO-ing in Dodge Diplomats, in 1984. The city starting buying Crown Vics in 1984, but it took a few years for me to have the seniority to move into a Crown Vic. The driving instructors at the academy liked the Diplomats more than the Crown Vics, but patrol officers, who had to manuever through narrow city streets, normally preferred the Crown Vics.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There's a guy on this board who had a fucking purple Dodge Neon as his first g-ride.

No, not me. I had a Focus and did a drug deal to switch very quickly into the Explorer. Most people seem to want the Chargers......

If you're on your way to a bust listening to "Eminence Front", you should be packing a Bren Ten, and your partners first name is Rico.. That said, I too am still driving an 18 year old Crown Vic. I actually will miss that car when it's gone. We bought a bunch of the new Ford Taurus Interceptors, which are universally hated. No visibility in any direction, bang your head getting in/out of the car, etc. We're now fielding the new Explorer based Interceptors to be the new patrol vehicle, but it's slow going. The last guy in charge of fleet just retired, and took all the books with him. We got a call from an LE vendor is Texas who said, "Hey, anyone gonna come get these 80 cars you guys paid for and outfitted?" That is not a joke, by the way. Tamanny Hall by the Bay, I tell ya.

Our Chief told fleet one time we needed unmarked plainclothes cars for our street crime units. So Fleet ordered Crown Vics in different colors. Then they couldn't understand what was wrong.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    You guys getting exhaust fumes in the cabin at wide open throttle?

I just got out of a 2014 Explorer limited because the exhaust fumes were getting drawn into the cabin. There is really no solution as far as my research indicates.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/driver...exhaust-fumes/

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/06/auto...investigation/
    Last edited by fixer; 03-16-2017 at 06:31 AM.

User Tag List