Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Police "Interceptor" SUV

We have a few Explorers in our fleet. I haven't even driven one let alone ride shotgun. All my passenger seat FTO days were in Crown Vics. I used to drive a 2003 Expedition SUV before I got my Tahoe. It was governed at 98 and wasn't pursuit rated. But you could get in and out of the passenger seat easily.

The only time I can think of a Tahoe rolling here was a driving instructor doing a reverse 180 on the track. One downfall is that Tahoes aren't rated for reverse 180s. A fact he wasn't aware of until after it rolled. Doh!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    So first and foremost the new taurus sedans aren't designed for uniformed officers in mind. I am not the biggest officer out there and I have issues getting in and out with snagging my radio or whatnot. The doors just don't open far enough. Aside from that, they aren't nimble like the 12-14 Impalas. They are big and heavy, lots of guys crash them because the design doesn't allow you see behind you when reversing and we don't have the versions with a camera.
    I was just going to say this. I am not uniformed, but god the Taurus would be a nightmare if I was. I don't mind driving it, (hated it when I took one to NYC though). Nice hook-up with the AWD, good dynamics and stability. Terrible visibility, and almost impossible to back up well. Embarrassingly bad turning radius. There is leo parking outside my AUSAs office, but it is all parallel spots along a row of jersey barriers set in a slight curve down a hill. I am pretty good at parallel parking, I have had some terrible moments trying to not humiliating myself because I might as well be driving a uhaul for all I can see out of it (especially when the cars you are parking around are clearly seized sports cars.

Anyone using the current Caprice?

NJSP switched to those a few years ago. I haven't seen anyone else driving them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I love my 2015 6.0L caprice PPV. Fast, smooth, comfortable and well thought out. I'm short but the taller guys like the car too. The only issue I could see with it, especially the 6L version, is that it could get away from the officers that suck at driving.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 03-15-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Hope this is OK to post (as I'm not LEO), but a funny memory: back home in the mid-80s I was acquainted with a pair of Texas DPS troopers. One was probably​ 6'3" and lanky, the other about 5'9" and over 200 lbs. So they were an odd looking pair anyway.
    What was funnier was watching them wedge themselves​ into and out of their Ford Mustang patrol car 😁
    IIRC those things were crazy fast but not roomy at all, especially with all the cop stuff installed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

NJSP switched to those a few years ago. I haven't seen anyone else driving them.
    We have a few. No one uses them for patrol as they break down pretty quickly.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Omaha Police Department was last time I checked. Last I heard, they were not held in high regard by the officers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...we have at least 15-20 of the 2013-2015 Caprices and I haven't heard anyone complain. . What kinda problems are you guys hearing about?

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Interesting...we have at least 15-20 of the 2013-2015 Caprices and I haven't heard anyone complain. . What kinda problems are you guys hearing about?
    Overheating mostly.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Last night, I found I was starting to get used to exiting a bit more smoothly from passenger side of the Explorer-based PI. A bit. I think I need to bring some old clothes to work with me, and practice some dive-and-roll exits.

I dread having to work a felony vehicle stop in one of these coffins. I need two hands to pull myself into position to exit, with any degree of certainty and speed, because I have to tuck my legs high, to clear.

Getting my Benelli out of the vertical rack, located between the seat backs, is a challenge, due to less vertical clearance, and of course, I need both hands to get out the passenger-side door. Realistically, I need to dismount completely from this coffin, and then reach back inside to get the Benelli.

I considered the move to Tahoes to be a career-extender. The attrition of the Tahoes may be my swan song.

User Tag List