Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is AIWB truly "for experts only"

Is AIWB truly "for experts only"

Hi guys -

I just passed my CWP course, so it'll be a month or three before I can start carrying. I have been doing a lot of research into what style of carry I should be doing. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it seems like AIWB is the better option over IWB in terms of speed and comfort. At the same time, I keep seeing warnings all over the place about the perils of AIWB, and how is "for experts only" or "not for beginners". Is this really the case? From what I can tell (having never carried before), AIWB seems to be no more likely to result in an accidental/negligent discharge, but that the consequences of one are much higher.

If it helps, I'm going to be carrying a P30S V3, starting with it decocked and perhaps also on safe, and if I feel comfortable enough in the future, moving to cocked and locked. I have a very good ability to train myself in habits, processes, and routines for all sorts of stuff, so I do feel that I can internalize whatever technique I need to use to ensure a safe reholster (like keeping a thumb on the hammer). At the same time, safety is a huge consideration of mine, and it would certainly seem that an AD/ND on a sloppy reholster is a lot more likely than getting hurt because I gave up a few tenths of a second on a draw from 4:00 compared to 2:00 or 1:00, just comparing the difference in frequency of reholstering vs. defending myself.

So... is AIWB acceptable for a person who is new to carrying, but has a good awareness of safety, and a very safe pistol? Or should I stick with 4:00 for a period of time first?

Thanks in advance, I really value the opinions of the folks here.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

We are diminished
    The AIWB mantra: if you fuck up, you die.

Where you go from there is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Nothin' like in your face honesty. Love it!

I carried a gun daily for nearly 5 years before I started carrying appendix.

I would not suggest, endorse, or support anyone carrying a gun AIWB without first having significant experience.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I do think it is only for people with significant experience. It does provide a very good draw but, like everythink else involving concealed carry it is body type specific. For me, strong side 330 iwb conceals better than AIWB. Given I have only tried the fricke archangel and ccc shaggy. Right now I am trying to decide if the extra speed and danger are worth the tradeoff in concealment. The point is, no matter what anyone says you have to actually see what works for you. Have to go to work but may have more thoughts later.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Site Supporter
    .... Threads like this make me think my Dad's going to kill himself. He's scary to watch on the gun range...

He's like the little kid brother that follows you except it's with gun purchases.

You need to be cautious, as cautious as possible carrying a gun, IMHO, AIWB it just happens to also be pointing at a vital organ that will kill you.

ETA: I would just install an LEM trigger, decock it and put on the safety, and just turn the safety off coming out of the holster.

I'm kind of warming to the idea of AIWB, (I ordered a holster), but... carrying a gun without a safety + AIWB, still makes me hesitant.

ETA 2: The Gadget being a solution for the glock re-holstering and riding the hammer down after decocking it in the P30. Congratulations on your CWP though.

I live in S.C. as well, and honestly, I got mine early, but it took about 70-80 days IIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Nice way with words you have

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I carried a gun daily for nearly 5 years before I started carrying appendix.

I would not suggest, endorse, or support anyone carrying a gun AIWB without first having significant experience.
    Same here, several years in conventional IWB before AIWB.
    In addition, I don't carry some pistols, i.e. Glock, in AIWB.
    In addition, every time I put a new pistol in AIWB, I carry with empty chamber for a month or so. Carrying with empty chamber is a bad, indefensible practice that's barely better than not carrying at all. Still, I do it for a limited time until I've sorted out intricacies of handling each pistol type in that position.

I'm a noob myself and still very much in the process of figuring out how to carry. FWIW, I'd recommend against deciding on any carry method until you have some experience.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I moved to AIWB pretty quickly after I started carrying. It's simply the only comfortable, concealable way that I've found to carry a G19 or larger size pistol. Having said that, it's very body type dependent so it's hard to say what's going to work for you. Honestly, while I am perfectly fine carrying AIWB there are lots of times that I would like to be able to carry behind the hip - mainly classes and matches - also it makes an easier transition from OWB to IWB although I pretty much never carry OWB. If I carried OWB for a living, LEO etc. I would for sure want to carry in a similar spot concealed.

AIWB has a lot of advantages, it also has a zero tolerance fuck up meter. I think the only meaningful advise that we can give you is to keep your options open and be realistic with both your own tendencies and needs. If you even think that you may have any issues with finger/trigger discipline then AIWB is not for you, in fact CC may not be for you until that gets sorted out. Carrying behind the hip because "It's OK if I shoot myself there" doesn't make any sense either - if you have doubts about your adminstrative gun handling then that needs to get squared away with lots and lots of dry work before you carry the pistol.

User Tag List