Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 642-1, going back to S&W

New 642-1, going back to S&W

This weekend I picked up a new no-lock 642. I was pretty pumped about it since I have been missing the 642 no dash that I sold back to the original owner who decided he couldn't live without it.

After I installed an Apex trigger kit in it I wiped it down, swabbed the barrel and lubed it. I noticed the patches were hanging up in the forcing cone a little. Upon closer inspection I noticed a burr that runs around the entire inside diameter of the forcing cone face. I thought about just shooting it and not worrying about it but I figure this could negatively impact accuracy. Calling S&W today to get a return label. Guess I better get the Apex kit out of there before I send it. Pretty bummed but honestly I was afraid this would happen. I've heard a lot about bad S&W QC and now I see it first hand.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

That's disappointing. The one I picked up over the holidays hasn't shown me any warts yet. The trigger pull is heavy but I was expecting that and truth be told I wanted a heavier pull for pocket and AIWB carry. In the limited shooting I've done with it it appears to be on the mark.

Keep us posted if they take care of the issue to your satisfaction.

I have shared your pain, however. I had to send my M&P15 TS to S&W after successfully firing a grand total of one round. To their credit they had the rifle back to me within a week but disappointed doesn't begin to describe my anguish at the time. (Turned out it was an issue with the bolt which was apparently machined out of spec.)
    Last edited by blues; 03-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks blues.

My holsters and speedloaders haven't arrived yet so hopefully I get the gun back fixed up when everything else arrives.

Site Supporter
    I've had my 642-2 since 2004. Only issue is the finish mostly peeled off. One of my favorite guns. Only way I'd like it better is if it didn't have the Hillary hole.

They should fix you up.

Just got a JM IWB universal for my 442. I really need to do the Apex spring kit. Did you install all the components? Seem pretty foolproof?

Quote Originally Posted by James_f View Post
    Just got a JM IWB universal for my 442. I really need to do the Apex spring kit. Did you install all the components? Seem pretty foolproof?
    The Apex kit works well.
    I have it in two J's and both have substantially improved trigger pulls.
    Never a light strike.

Make sure to install the Apex firing pin and spring that comes with the kit.
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 03-14-2017 at 01:45 PM.

FWIW Irelander, I've had 2 recent 642 no locks; one was ok, but there was always stuff rubbing and causing minor hitches as the cylinder turned; it never stopped making little squeaky noises during dry fire. Always went bang, and was as accurate as any J-Frame though. That one went to a friend in a state where dealers can't get no locks, but no law prevented their ownership, so it turned out ok. I'm told it still works fine for tertiary duty. The one I bought most recently is nearly identical, only without the minor rubs and squeaks. I get a lot of use out of it.

Point is: the company is putting out a great, proven design using manufacturing techniques aimed at keeping the street price below 4 bills. It's not inconceivable that an enthusiast might have to go through more than one to find a really nice example. JMO.

Mine has a lock, but otherwise seems to have good tolerances. What is the reasoning to convert to no lock? Is it a fear of failure of the lock. To be honest I don't understand how the lock functions and I don't even know if I have the key/tool.

There have been enough reports of locks kicking on in the middle of shooting to make me want a no-lock version or convert to no-lock with the plug.

I install the Apex parts myself. The video on their website makes things pretty straight forward.

Site Supporter
    James, you can use it, ignore it, stress about it, or remove it, or replace the gun with a -1 with no lock. If you need a key, you can get one from S&W.

The lock disables the action so the trigger and hammer cannot move. When I have used the lock on mine, it has been to disable the gun while it is in checked baggage. If it were not for that sole, very limited application, I would remove it from mine.

There are reputable reports of locks failing and tying up the gun. The failures tend to happen during live fire on heavy recoiling light guns, such as an Airweight .44 magnum. I do not know of any on an Airweight jframe, but it is possible.

User Tag List