Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I Load Fast

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    GL, you add more to this forum than you know. Thanks for hanging out here,p.
    Thanks. For context in the above post, my goal with the CSB-6 was to reliably meet and preferably exceed 125 Power Factor (bullet weigth in grains * fps / 1000) so I had a “valid” USPSA Production load for my (and my only) personal practice. If this isn’t a goal then you have more margin to work with than I did.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Completely agree, thank you.
    I’ve learned about reloading from your videos and forum posts here and elsewhere than I’ve been able to anywhere else.
    Last edited by holmes168; 06-12-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Thanks. For context in the above post, my goal with the CSB-6 was to reliably meet and preferably exceed 125 Power Factor (bullet weigth in grains * fps / 1000) so I had a “valid” USPSA Production load for my (and my only) personal practice. If this isn’t a goal then you have more margin to work with than I did.
    No, that's pretty much my goal as well.
    #RESIST

I’ve got my jug of powder and my 124gr Acme bullets. Time to work on the load below.

This powder is CSB-1M, like CSB-1 but with a slightly smaller flake. CSB-1 is reportedly what the ill-fated / Expansion Industries ETR-7 powder was, rebranded.

Recently I discovered that Hi-Tech Ammo was reselling CSB-1M and has a good supply. I spoke with the owner and got 1 lb powder for evaluation. I worked up a load and shot a pound's worth - basically just like CSB-1/ETR-1 but the smaller flake might meter even better. This is a high bar as the bigger flakes already meter extremely well.

Short version: Fast Powder, Meters Well, Good Fill Volume, Temperature Stable, Burns Clean, Great Price.
    Availability - Just Hi-Tech Ammo - for now.

I have no reservations about this powder.

My last load workup:
    124gr ACME New Nose Profile polymer coated, < 1.130 COAL, 3.8 gr CSB-1M, 128 Power Factor

Here are some old threads on ETR-7:

http://www.doodieproject.com/index.p...etr-7/?hl=etr7
    http://www.doodieproject.com/index.p...ition-powders/

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    I’ve got my jug of powder and my 124gr Acme bullets. Time to work on the load below.
    Let us know how it goes. Be honest.

Let us know how it goes. Be honest.
    The rounds ran perfect yesterday- ended up only making 50 for the range due to time constraints.
    I could tell a big difference between the Acme 124 rounds and the Everglades plated rounds that were the same grain.
    The Acme rounds were mush softer to shoot and the powder was much less smoky.

Great workup- thanks for the advice.

Awesome on the CSB-1.

Assuming the Commercial #5 is the same as CSB-5, which is, IIRC, just slightly slower than CSB-6 (a rather fast powder) - work up your load carefully. In 9mm I would also suggest using harder primers, lighter bullets and longer COAL's. Why? I could get enough pressure and resultant primer flow to cause primer piercing with CSB-6, 124gr polymer coated bullets and (soft) Federal Primers. With harder CCI primers I got to a consistent, reliable 126-127PF load right at the outside edge of what I was comfortable with pressure-sign wise.

I've shot many thousands of these as practice ammo - but this isn't a combo I would recommend for anyone that isn't experienced and meticulous.
    FYI Win SPP's and Win Mag SPP's are hard enough for the CSB-6 / 124 ACME's, Federal SPP's are NOT. No, I'm not listing a charge weight - work up your own dumb load.

My CSB-6 load is IMHO still on the edge pressure wise, but is very clean burning and a consistent 126-127PF is possible from a Stock2. I've shot a BUNCH in practice and my confidence is rising. Since I got a bunch of it (CSB-6) uber-cheap I am using it for my low-cost practice load and with Win primers I'm contemplating it for match ammo. (I can't use Federals and CCI's are too hard for my match ammo preference)

I definitely wouldn't go out and buy this powder (CSB-6) for 9mm, but it is an interesting data point on the upper-end of 9mm fast powders.

Go buy the CSB-1M. Good stuff.

I Load Fast

Velocity on that Remington hull load is 1240. It is a published load by Hodgdon. You could get it to 1300 FPS but the pressure would probably be over 11,500 PSI.

No offense intended here but, that seems like a pretty good solid load. Whats the reason for 1300 FPS?

User Tag List