Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I Load Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I resent that.

I haven't been to guanos man cave in a little while. Other skanks have. Doesn't bother me though. He can do what ever he wants with who ever he wants. It's what ever. I don't even think about it really.
    If you weren't out there slacking on the range Sunday you could have come over. :devil:
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I resent that.

I haven't been to guanos man cave in a little while. Other skanks have. Doesn't bother me though. He can do what ever he wants with who ever he wants. It's what ever. I don't even think about it really.
    I wish that I had a reloading twink @Tom_Jones just escaped my basement today.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-27-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    #RESIST

I did some load workups with ACME 9mm 124gr and 135gr (No Lube Groove) bullets; I normally run Bayou 135's (with Lube Groove) using my two EAA/Tanfoglio Stock 2 pistols.

The Tanfos have a notoriously short throat or leade and a hard chrome barrel which requires a carbide reamer to fix. I'm still working on getting a reamer; it's been more challenging than you might think. A regular reamer doesn't do squat to a hard chromed barrel.

With the Bayou 135's I need to seat at 1.095" to plunk test on the shorter throated barrel. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I've been getting about 132 Power Factor. I'm currently crimping to 0.378".

The ACME 135 NLG's appear to have a similar nose profile/ogive to the Bayou Bullets. I need to seat to 1.105" to plunk test in both S2 barrels. Last night with 3.7gr of Prima V I was getting 134 PF, almost exactly what I've been getting with Bayou 135's and 3.7 gr of ETR-7 in the past. FYI ETR-7 is a very nice powder and it no longer available. I THINK ETR-7 is re-branded MAXAM CSB-1, which is occasionally available.

With the ACME 124's I need to seat all the way down to 1.040" (!!!) to plunk test with both barrels. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I was getting 128PF, with 3.8gr I was getting 130 PF.

Using CCI primers I was showing early signs of primer flattening; with more flattening at the shorter OAL and higher (3.8gr) powder chage.

I've got plenty of ammo loaded for the time being, but next sessions with be with the ACME 135's. I would prefer to get my barrel throats reamed and move to the cheaper 124's. I am not thriled with the idea of having to load themn at 1.040" though, that may cause feeding issues with other 9mm guns I have.

My Colt Mag PCC, for example, prefers longer ammo and shorter ammo positioned closer to the front of the magazine. I usually bang the loaded colt magazines on a table to get the bullets in that position.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 04-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    You can rent barrel reamers I think...I don't have a link, but it's a fairly cheap option if you wanna DIY

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bevan can have it back to you inside the week! (Says Enos lol).
    i used to wannabe

I load SNS 125s with lube groove at roughly 1.130 in my Stock 2s if you looking for a cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I did some load workups with ACME 9mm 124gr and 135gr (No Lube Groove) bullets; I normally run Bayou 135's (with Lube Groove) using my two EAA/Tanfoglio Stock 2 pistols.

The Tanfos have a notoriously short throat or leade and a hard chrome barrel which requires a carbide reamer to fix. I'm still working on getting a reamer; it's been more challenging than you might think. A regular reamer doesn't do squat to a hard chromed barrel.

With the Bayou 135's I need to seat at 1.095" to plunk test on the shorter throated barrel. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I've been getting about 132 Power Factor. I'm currently crimping to 0.378".

The ACME 135 NLG's appear to have a similar nose profile/ogive to the Bayou Bullets. I need to seat to 1.105" to plunk test in both S2 barrels. Last night with 3.7gr of Prima V I was getting 134 PF, almost exactly what I've been getting with Bayou 135's and 3.7 gr of ETR-7 in the past. FYI ETR-7 is a very nice powder and it no longer available. I THINK ETR-7 is re-branded MAXAM CSB-1, which is occasionally available.

With the ACME 124's I need to seat all the way down to 1.040" (!!!) to plunk test with both barrels. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I was getting 128PF, with 3.8gr I was getting 130 PF.

Using CCI primers I was showing early signs of primer flattening; with more flattening at the shorter OAL and higher (3.8gr) powder chage.

I've got plenty of ammo loaded for the time being, but next sessions with be with the ACME 135's. I would prefer to get my barrel throats reamed and move to the cheaper 124's. I am not thriled with the idea of having to load themn at 1.040" though, that may cause feeding issues with other 9mm guns I have.

My Colt Mag PCC, for example, prefers longer ammo and shorter ammo positioned closer to the front of the magazine. I usually bang the loaded colt magazines on a table to get the bullets in that position.
    GuanoLoco, have you used the Prima SV also? I have been looking at the V and SV for 9mm for a little while now. I was hesitant as the information for them isn't in QL and I can't find of ton of published data just a little on Brian Enos Forum. Any tips with it? About what price range are you sourcing it at and is it pretty clean? Thanks!

Bevan can have it back to you inside the week! (Says Enos lol).

I'm supposedly on his list to contact when he gets a new carbide reamer; I reached out a while ago and got nothing. Been trying to get my own for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I'm supposedly on his list to contact when he gets a new carbide reamer; I reached out a while ago and got nothing. Been trying to get my own for a while now.
    I'm reminded of a story from a time not long ago. In the story there was a young boy and a kite. The kite needed wind to fly if you wished to fly the kite stationary. Alas, running with the kite created thrust and it soared deep into the sky wind notwithstanding.

You see where I'm going with this?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    GuanoLoco, have you used the Prima SV also? I have been looking at the V and SV for 9mm for a little while now. I was hesitant as the information for them isn't in QL and I can't find of ton of published data just a little on Brian Enos Forum. Any tips with it? About what price range are you sourcing it at and is it pretty clean? Thanks!
    I found it when looking for a replacement for my beloved ETR-7, no longer available after Expansion Industries went tits up, lied and attempted to defraud me. MAXAM CSB-1 is supposed to be the same thing but it is less available and less cost-effective if and when you can find it. I went questing for a new powder (see this thread) and Prima V is what I settled on.

I bought a jug of SV for testing, it's too fast for my needs. For 9mm I think it is on the edge of overpressure yet not quite making 125 power factor - not a place I like to be.

It might be worth testing with PCC though, a bud has been using CSB-6 (faster) powder and getting good results. Or maybe with really light bullets, but again, not what I'm looking for.

For 9mm Prima V seems to be a winner on availability and price (note 1.1 lb or 1/2 Kilo jugs). It burns clean (completely unlike a comparable powder, TiteGroup). It is a relatively fast burning powder, and this is what I want.

I had concerns about metering and settling, but more recently I have been shaking up the jugs before pouring into my powder measure and this seems to help quite a bit. If you don't do this then the granules settle in layers and metering can change quite a bit as (I think) it settles or you work through the layers.

The smaller granules leaks out of primer flash holes if you miss a primer somehow, sort-of annoying relative to large flake powder. Then again, the more dense granules don't fly out of cases during the reloading process as easily.

Powder Valley has it for $14.95 but you get hit with hazmat and I assume shipping which isn't such a good deal.

Grafs has it for $16.99/1.1 lb; put 10 jugs in your cart and you can get free shipping and no hazmat fee! That works out to $15.36/lb delivered, or about $0.008/round. Works for me!!!

User Tag List