Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the TDA Bug - Wilson Brig Tac Questions

Getting the TDA Bug - Wilson Brig Tac Questions

Before I go out and battle the Blizzard of '17 (that is still raging) I thought I'd post this request.

This past Sunday the club where I shoot steel plate matches had a fun shoot - it was not weighted and was just for fun. Good thing as the weather was cold so gloves were required. It was an excellent learning experience on two fronts: shooting with gloves in the cold AND I ran my 18 year old Beretta M9 Special Edition. I recently got the TDA Bug and figured this was a decent way to gauge how I would do initially.

What did I learn? Lots. Gloves and cold really change how you shoot (duh). Disengaging the safety/decocker on an M9 when your fingers are numb really really sucks. When your hands are cold a shitty DA trigger is shittier. With gloves you can short stroke the SA pull on an M9. However, I did do well enough to want a better 92-series pistol. After having run my PX4 Compact Carry just a little I realize that I want a better DA trigger (who doesn't?).

So, my questions are basically: is the Wilson Combat 92G Brig Tac worth it? Does it live up to the Wilson name? Will I have the same reaction to it as I did to the PX4 Compact Carry at SHOT 2017 and subsequent range experiences with the one I bought? (I know that question is not really answerable)

Thanks for any input and for those of you with me in the path of Stella, enjoy digging out!

A stock Brigadier Tactical comes with a 'D' spring installed, which is certainly an inexpensive and easy upgrade you can make to your M9's trigger. However, the Brigadier Tactical with either the Action Tune from the factory or their new trigger bar installed has an outstanding trigger. Though the Brigadier Tactical is pricey, I recommend the upgraded trigger to get the most out of it. I'm also a fan of the 'G' operating system over the 'FS' (though the recent conversion kit has changed this dynamic). Last - and there is some debate on this - but I very much like the sights on my Brigadier Tactical. All in all, I think it is a significant upgrade over a stock M9. Put another way, since I acquired my Brigadier Tactical, my M9 has sat neglected in the safe.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 03-14-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Have you considered swapping some small parts to explore your current Beretta more before you drop $12-1300+ into a new gun? If your gun isn't a G model, try to get a hold of the Beretta USA conversion. If you special order one through Brownells you can avoid the multi-week email wait list.

I'm not familiar with the special edition M9, but I'm going to assume it comes with the stock 20# hammer spring. I'd swap to either a D spring (16#) or a 14# hammer spring from Wilson Combat. Both of those will lighten up the DA considerably...the 14# a little more than the D spring. Try those simple changes first and see how you like it.

Almost all of the items that come standard on the Wilson gun can be added to your M9...rear sight, guide rod, mag release, G conversion, D Spring or 14# hammer spring, grips...only thing after that is front sight and an action job if you were to spur for a Brig Tac that has an Action Tune.

Edit: My Brig Tac is my favorite Beretta. Mine has the Action Tune and it is fantastic. I certainly wouldn't fault you for picking one up, but I'd also consider trying some of the upgrades to see if they're worth it to you before dropping the coin on the Brig Tac.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 03-14-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Shoot more, post less...

I ordered on in early December last year.

They are now filling orders placed last March.

Sigh.

OP,youre better off sending in your M9 for custom work -including a G conversion if so desired.

Beretta USA is hardcore backlogged from moving their factory, so the only way youre getting a Wilson Combat 92 this calendar year is if you send them a pistol yourself. You'll be just as happy with the results and you get to specify the finish, sight options, etc.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    OP,youre better off sending in your M9 for custom work -including a G conversion if so desired.

Beretta USA is hardcore backlogged from moving their factory, so the only way youre getting a Wilson Combat 92 this calendar year is if you send them a pistol yourself. You'll be just as happy with the results and you get to specify the finish, sight options, etc.
    bummer.

guess it might be this year's Christmas present to myself, instead of last year's.

so i'll keep shooting my 1988 vintage 92F. i dressed her up with new wood grips!

saw a 92A1 in the gun shop last week...worth the upgrade?

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. My M9 has been in the sentimental collection and shall remain there in stock condition.

The wait for the WCBrigTac is ok with me as the PX4 CC is going to be my primary focus for a while. Buuuut...maybe buying a Brigadier and sending it in for a more custom-to-me would be the better choice. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    saw a 92A1 in the gun shop last week...worth the upgrade?
    If you like a rail, it gives you one, and a dovetailed front sight. The 92A1 is an oddity in the M9/92 family line-up. I don't think the slide swaps with any of the other models (other than the 96A1 and 90-Two), and it has a different takedown button. It is round and all the other M9/92 buttons are oval. I don't know if it affects anything other than it is different.

My crystal ball says the 92A1 is a dead end in the Beretta line-up. The Vertec/M9A3 slide gives the dovetailed front sight without a Brigadier slide, or using the odd 92A1 slide, and can go on all the other models. I expect the Vertec/M9A3 slide to become the default slide for dovetail sights and the 92A1 will only live as long as somebody needs a 92 Series gun in .40 S&W which would keep the 96A1 line open and they'd keep making the 92A1 just because.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. My M9 has been in the sentimental collection and shall remain there in stock condition.

The wait for the WCBrigTac is ok with me as the PX4 CC is going to be my primary focus for a while. Buuuut...maybe buying a Brigadier and sending it in for a more custom-to-me would be the better choice. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Look around Gunbroker. Brig Tacs are out there and if you're patient you can find them for non-gouging prices. I saw a few NIB Brig Tacs last week with the Action Tune and Mag Guide for $1395. That's a pretty good price. If you don't want to wait a year and are willing to pay a $50-100 premium over waiting that's a good option.
    Shoot more, post less...

You can improve your current trigger without having to get a whole new gun. Trigger bar, 12/13 lb cs spring, wilson hammer, etc.

User Tag List