Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Beretta safety - too low profile

Wilson Beretta safety - too low profile

I just finished installing Wilson low pro safety on a Vertec, and it's too "low" profile. I have difficulty activating/deactivating it, compared to the OEM version.
    Has anyone tried to machine off the right side of the OEM safety to match the Wilson's profile in order to get a larger lever on the left side of the slide?

Thanks!

I've had the same thought after installing the WC safety. It would be pretty straight forward, however there would be the holes for the pins and the slot where the right side lever used to be. Some spot welds or even JB epoxy could fill those spots and then smoothed out.

I have found that pressing in towards the slide helps when working the WC safety
    Last edited by timotab; 03-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.

I recently snagged a Beretta 92FS from a coworker, and tried the Wilson low pro as well. I had the same issue. My short stubby digits have a problem reaching it.

I've got one of the new G conversion safety units sitting here on my desk, and am going to install it after I get back from the Rangemaster Conference.

Apparently, Wilson Combat makes exactly what I want - safety with standard lever. Time for another Brownells order:
    Last edited by Andy T; 03-14-2017 at 11:55 AM.

I ordered the standard single side from Wilson. It is SHARP. As in I tore into my hand when I was overhand racking. I took a dremel stone to it, rounded it off some. Also made it a tad narrower. So it is bigger than the low profile, a tad smaller than standard profile... I like it much better now. But I had to have it re finished for $20...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Just for reference, Below is the Wilson single side standard safety after I shaved it down and rounded it off. It originally had three ridges on it, I shaved off one...

Below is the Factory Ambi safety on top, Wilson single side (shaved down and rounded by me), and the bottom is the new G retroactive kit for 92/96.

And this is for comparison. It's the new Beretta G kit installed. It sticks WAY out on the right side of the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Just for reference, Below is the Wilson single side standard safety after I shaved it down and rounded it off. It originally had three ridges on it, I shaved off one...

Below is the Factory Ambi safety on top, Wilson single side (shaved down and rounded by me), and the bottom is the new G retroactive kit for 92/96.

And this is for comparison. It's the new Beretta G kit installed. It sticks WAY out on the right side of the slide.

What's up with the portly starboard profile? Es no bueno. A conversion for my 92a1 was on the to-do list but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the trade-off of the extended right side lever.

I must admit, the extended right side is.... less than optimal. But it is mandatory with the retrofit. The slots cut in the slide to install the right side roll pins on the safety lever are used to retain the G retro fit spring. That forced the roll pin on the right side to the outside of the decocker.

I understand why, but it makes it a bit bulky on one side.

The red arrow shows the new G return spring in the opening that once allowed roll pin install and removal... I don't think I will be buying a second kit.

Gadfly,
    Thank you for the comparison. Now that I had the chance to work the Wilson low pro safety, it's not as stiff. I also have their regular one sided safety en route to compare. It's definitely much easier/comfortable to cycle the slide as compared to the M9A3 G lever. I will probably replace it with a low pro safety.
    While I understand the appeal of G lever, my short time with Berettas it seems having a medium profiled lever, carrying off safe, and always setting it to fire after decocking is simpler/better.

Thanks for the photo of the new G piece. I wouldn't like that either

User Tag List