Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry fire is boring

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have the A Zoom in many calibers. They have the rubber primer thingee, and they are generally made pretty well, at least compared to the cheap florescent ones that schools use for malfunction clearing and stuff.

https://smile.amazon.com/Zoom-Luger-...ies*=0&ie=UTF8

Just checked. No mention of the rubber primer. Maybe I'm confusing them with another. I haven't bought any in a LONG time.
    I have those a zooms, does it matter how beat up they get? I guess I am just worried they are nearing their shelf life. The past few months are the first I have put serious time and effort into dry fire, trying to spare my training gun as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Going to the gym and working out is not a lot of fun. It can, however, be a key to good health.

Dry practice sessions are similarly a boring routine. And some day, just possibly, they may also be a key to good health.

Have him ponder that.
    I have fun working out and I have fun dry firing.

For dry firing, I have a dry fire shot timer app on my phone. For each dry fire exercise, I have a goal time and I record my best times.

For example, I draw and fire at a reduced size target from 10 yards equivalent. I record my times with each gun, concealed vs unconcealed, and I have a goal time. It becomes a game against myself to beat my times and reach my goals. Similarly I have IDPA stages set up and I dry run those, trying to beat my earlier times while maintaining a true firing grip and being honest about accuracy.

The app is called "dry fire par timer" and its icon is a black pistol on a blue background

Likewise for working out I have a notepad and write down the weight and number of reps done for each and every exercise.

If I didn't have the 17R, I would use my training gun, or a 3rd (because I'm lazy) with a Blade-tech barrel in it. I wouldn't worry much about the snap caps on a serious gun, I really just use them now on my nice guns. 45-70's and such. YMMV.

I use a G17R for 99% of my dryfire. Never needs nutt'n.

When I used to use my 229, I used a snap cap. Never needed nutt'n else.

I've worn out a lot of guns over the years, but never from dryfire. That probably means I don't do it enough. I have used 1911's and revolvers and just about everything at one point or another, but my heavy volume stuff was all with Glocks or Sigs. The rest all get snap caps as well.
    Thanks, SLG. I guess I'll just stick with my regular routine...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I bought a CZ-75 because I wanted one and also because I thought extensive dry fire with a heavy DA trigger would help with all other triggers. I'd also heard that some CZs had bad trigger return springs, so when I got the gun, my stated goal was to dry fire until I broke the pistol (or really the TRS). The TRS broke after 85 live fires and two months of dry fire. I was extremely pleased because I thought it would take me longer than that to break it. I use snap caps, but if I break the gun (and not just a spring) by dry firing, it'll be worth it. My shooting has definitely improved.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    I know, I know... It's a valuable training method and I'm not suggesting otherwise. Still....

I've got a friend who is a new shooter who've - I think - I've impressed on him the many benefits of dry fire, even 10 minutes, 2/3 times a week.

Still, it's simply not as much fun as punching holes in paper or plinking beer cans.

So, how do you keep yourselves motivated, and how do you help others maintain the quality of their dry fire when motivation wanes?
    For me, I have to measure my dry practice like I do my live fire to keep me motivated. That usually involves beating a particular par time on a drill or meeting a particular manipulation standard that I'm working on. I also keep my dry fire sessions fairly short, usually under 20 minutes.

I believe you should always be trying to get faster in dry practice. There are many different shades of "faster", but that may be a topic best left to it's own thread.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks, SLG. I guess I'll just stick with my regular routine...

Whoa...I didn't know Les Pepperoni drove taxis....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You get addicted to the results, the act itself is pretty boring. Getting people into dry fire is like getting them into exercise, unless they do it themselves it's largely a wasted effort.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-14-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I have the A Zoom in many calibers. They have the rubber primer thingee, and they are generally made pretty well, at least compared to the cheap florescent ones that schools use for malfunction clearing and stuff.

https://smile.amazon.com/Zoom-Luger-...ies*=0&ie=UTF8

Just checked. No mention of the rubber primer. Maybe I'm confusing them with another. I haven't bought any in a LONG time.

A couple things. First, I believe the ones SLG is referring to are ST ACTION's (orange tip, "rubber thingy"). Then, after years of no problems, recently I had one problem after another (FTF's) with the A-Zooms - brand new A-Zooms no less. My SIG P320 and my new pistol - my H&K P30SK, just wouldn't feed them. I switched to the ST ACTION's and they run perfectly. What I really love about dryfiring with the caps (actually, ST calls theirs "training rounds") is the cycling of the gun just seems more......natural. There's just that great sound of the slide that makes my day! As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go do some right now while watching this snow storm we're getting. 12" on the ground and still making it!
    Last edited by 11B10; 03-14-2017 at 09:28 AM.

I am not a big dry fire kind of guy. While I think it is worthwhile, I find it to be completely boring, and not worth the effort to improve.

Too much like work, lol.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List