Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry fire is boring

Dry fire is boring

I know, I know... It's a valuable training method and I'm not suggesting otherwise. Still....

I've got a friend who is a new shooter who've - I think - I've impressed on him the many benefits of dry fire, even 10 minutes, 2/3 times a week.

Still, it's simply not as much fun as punching holes in paper or plinking beer cans.

So, how do you keep yourselves motivated, and how do you help others maintain the quality of their dry fire when motivation wanes?

When you dry fire every day for a week and your group size is cut in half on your next range visit, that's good enough "motivation" for me.
    Then you don't dry fire for 2 weeks and see your groups double. Proof that it works.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 03-13-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I recently picked up a laserlyte 9mm training cartridge which displays a red dot on the point you are aimed in at (if you do your part) I use it with 1/3 scale IDPA targets I place around my house. I printed these and pasted them to cardboard backers so they last longer. They can be found on the net but I used Ted in PAs sight for mine. It adds some fun and realism. i plan to add some laserlyte reactive targets in the future for audible and instant feedback.

Going to the gym and working out is not a lot of fun. It can, however, be a key to good health.

Dry practice sessions are similarly a boring routine. And some day, just possibly, they may also be a key to good health.

Have him ponder that.

I genuinely enjoy dryfire, sometimes more than live fire, as it seems I'm much better at it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I genuinely enjoy dryfire, sometimes more than live fire, as it seems I'm much better at it. :-)
    Serious question...how often do parts / springs require replacement when dry firing on a regular basis? I will admit that it's something I rarely do as I do not have "training" guns that are not "carry" guns.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

A Laserlyte cartridge and target does make things a lot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Serious question...how often do parts / springs require replacement when dry firing on a regular basis? I will admit that it's something I rarely do as I do not have "training" guns that are not "carry" guns.
    I use a G17R for 99% of my dryfire. Never needs nutt'n.

When I used to use my 229, I used a snap cap. Never needed nutt'n else.

I've worn out a lot of guns over the years, but never from dryfire. That probably means I don't do it enough. I have used 1911's and revolvers and just about everything at one point or another, but my heavy volume stuff was all with Glocks or Sigs. The rest all get snap caps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I use a G17R for 99% of my dryfire. Never needs nutt'n.

When I used to use my 229, I used a snap cap. Never needed nutt'n else.

I've worn out a lot of guns over the years, but never from dryfire. That probably means I don't do it enough. I have used 1911's and revolvers and just about everything at one point or another, but my heavy volume stuff was all with Glocks or Sigs. The rest all get snap caps as well.
    which snap caps do you recommend, mine are about beat to death.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    which snap caps do you recommend, mine are about beat to death.
    I have the A Zoom in many calibers. They have the rubber primer thingee, and they are generally made pretty well, at least compared to the cheap florescent ones that schools use for malfunction clearing and stuff.

https://smile.amazon.com/Zoom-Luger-...ies*=0&ie=UTF8

Just checked. No mention of the rubber primer. Maybe I'm confusing them with another. I haven't bought any in a LONG time.
    Last edited by SLG; 03-13-2017 at 08:28 PM.

User Tag List