Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" 9mm making IDPA power factor

3" 9mm making IDPA power factor

First post. Hello.

Do subcompact 9mm with 3" barrel make 125 power factor?

The reload data I see for lead round nose bullets show it is mostly at max loads that you get there, and the data is for a 4" barrel.

That's the question, here's the less relevant intro stuff. I reload for my revolvers, rifles and shotguns but am shopping for my first pistol and want to compete. There is a regular IDPA match nearby. I don't know how much that short barrel will cut velocity. I like the feel and utility of the subcompact, but if I can't compete with it I need to broaden my choices.

Last comment, if you want to suggest a load, I'm all ears. Naturally I would want to use Clays or Universal since I have a few cans, I have some Blue Dot as well, but as usually happens when you pick a new round you get a few new powders to try.

Any insight is appreciated.

-John

#IDPA
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-12-2017 at 12:59 PM.

I haven't spent much time with shorter barrels. My 134PF competition loads shoot through my Shield just fine but I haven't cronographed them.

I suggest:

Use polymer coated lead bullets.
    Get access to a chronograph.
    Use a fast modern powder - there are new choices available.
    Experiment with light (124 gr), medium (135 gr) and heavy (147 gr bullets) for power factor, reliability and accuracy.
    Watch for pressure signs on the primers. I prefer federal primers for this - they are soft enough to actually read signs (for me some flattening is normal). Other harder primers may not show signs until you are well past acceptable pressures.
    Don't be afraid to try bullets from a different manufacturer - bullet profile/width can matter.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I haven't shot IDPA for a few years [I do miss it] so check this out for yourself. But I think you are allowed to use the longest barrel length allowed in your division to make power factor. So, if your 3" doesn't make it then you are allowed to test in the longer barrel. Almost every match I've been tested in they used a test pistol of the longest allowable length, not my pistol.

Depends on just how "sub" your subcompact is.
    I have read that The Box with BUG spacers is built around the S&W Shield.
    So if your choice is no larger than a Shield, it can enter BUG where the power factor is only 95 to accommodate .380s.

If it does not fit the BUG Box, then it must make f125. Look at Ballistics By the Inch to see what your prospects are.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I haven't shot IDPA for a few years [I do miss it] so check this out for yourself. But I think you are allowed to use the longest barrel length allowed in your division to make power factor. So, if your 3" doesn't make it then you are allowed to test in the longer barrel. Almost every match I've been tested in they used a test pistol of the longest allowable length, not my pistol.
    No longer the case.
    Your ammo is chronographed in "the gun furnished by the shooter."
    Now I have had one bedroll lawyer to say he could "furnish" a gun different/longer than what he is shooting in the match, but he would not get away with that on my range.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    No longer the case.
    Your ammo is chronographed in "the gun furnished by the shooter."
    Now I have had one bedroll lawyer to say he could "furnish" a gun different/longer than what he is shooting in the match, but he would not get away with that on my range.
    Thanks for the up date. That "lawyer" gives lawyers a bad name. Gamers, IMO, are folks who read the rules, know the rules and follow the rules but use imagination to find a better way, one not thought of by those who came up with the rules.

Thanks for the comments.

I have a chronograph, just haven't bought the gun! The data seems to show very marginal to make f125, that Ballistics By the Inch is interesting. I'm looking at the XD 9mm, it won't fit the BUG box. I'll just go out to the next local match and talk to some folks to ask around if this gun will do what I want. My son has the same gun in 40S&W and the 180, and 165gr bullets make about f136 if I recall, without even trying. Since I want to reload and shoot a lot, I want to use the 9mm since it's so common and a bit less costly to hand load.

If your shooting a local no one is going to chrono ammo. Just make a decent effort to make PF and roll with it. It won't help you win so don't worry about competitive advantage.
    Last edited by Leroy; 03-13-2017 at 05:49 PM.

I found some old info on my handloads. A G-17 was 130.9 power factor, a different G-17 was 130.6 PF, a G-19 was 127.9 PF and a G-26 was 125.9 PF. A different load was 134 PF in a G-17 and 129 PF in a G-26. The only way to know for sure is chronograph. Most local matches don't chronograph, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are shooting your sub compact in BUG, PF only needs to be 95.

Your comments got me to read the IDPA rules more closely. Running below power factor gets you a DQ but still allows you to shoot the match. There's my solution on the remote chance that anyone cares! I'm really just competing against myself anyway, just to get some stress shooting practice and fresh air. Maybe I'll post back once I get things in order.

User Tag List