Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: For those of you that have done so, Dillon 550 versus 650 comparisons?

One of the challenges I see with newer and lower volume reloaders is the inability or unwillingness to put in the energy required to buy components at optimized prices.

My buddies and I are very opportunistic and keep a loose network onstantly identifying deals, one-time opportunities, occasional leveraging sponsor relationships, business buy-outs, etc. We always buy in bulk and occasionally pool resources to get bulk discounts, minimize shipping, taxes, etc. Some vendors will cut deals or set up codes for consistent bulk buyers as well.

Some indoor ranges might be more willing to sell brass for cheap in large quantity - e.g. 55 gal drums. I’m not picking up much these days but I picked MANY 10’s of thousands of cases in the past. At the price I last bought I’m not sure I can justify picking...

I hesitate to order powder unless it is the max capacity that Hazmat shipping allows, preferably during a free shipping event, with an attractive powder price. One of us makes the combined order, then the rest descend like vultures to get our cut.

I am also quick to work up a new load or re-spring my guns or whatever to take advantage of a particularly cost-compelling component that might not be optimal (hard primers, powder, etc.) to drive down total cost.

Investign energy trying to get to know the people who reload in bulk in your area can have a strong ROI.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Looking for real world experience, emphasis on speed difference.

#Dillon550

#Dillon650
    I don't know anyone who bought a 550--and who is even casually serious about shooting--who didn't end up with a 650 or 1050. And everyone who told them to spend the extra few hundo roll their eyes and try not to say "I told you so". And it's hard to find anyone who wants to buy a used 550.

Whoops, just realized I quoted a necropost.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-20-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    One of the challenges I see with newer and lower volume reloaders is the inability or unwillingness to put in the energy required to buy components at optimized prices.
    And also not willing to take the plunge and invest in a faster machine. One of my "I aint gonna screw around loading nine if I can buy it that cheap" friends is using the Square Deal. I have never owned one, and I am sure it is a fine tool, and maybe one day I might have one and set it up for something low volume, but I wouldn't be screwing around loading nine either if that is all I had.
    Some indoor ranges might be more willing to sell brass for cheap in large quantity - e.g. 55 gal drums. I’m not picking up much these days but I picked MANY 10’s of thousands of cases in the past. At the price I last bought I’m not sure I can justify picking...
    Most all of the places I shoot I can recover what I shot, and lately I get what is left behind by my friends who are not reloading it. Often we just sequence our shooters where the guys that are leaving it go before me. Sometimes I leave it and wait till one of my buddies that is in my pool of brass shoots. We still take care with the 45, 38Super and 10mm casings, but the nine is sorta communal.
    I hesitate to order powder unless it is the max capacity that Hazmat shipping allows, preferably during a free shipping event, with an attractive powder price. One of us makes the combined order, then the rest descend like vultures to get our cut.
    I also shoot skeet and have strived to, and finally have, standardized on one of the shotgun powders being suitable for pistol. At my volumes I can get 8 pounds at a time, and the gun club on base has decent prices and no hazmat shipping issue.
    Investing energy trying to get to know the people who reload in bulk in your area can have a strong ROI.
    I think the willingness to buy into future needs also is a big impact. When I run out of primers I buy a bunch, I keep the powder on hand for shotguns, and that just leaves buying the bullets that have no hazmat shipping.

But who am I shitting, if it saved $5 I would probably still do it, I have been bending over and picking it up for nearly fifty years, I don't think I could stop if I wanted to...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't know anyone who bought a 550--and who is even casually serious about shooting--who didn't end up with a 650 or 1050. And everyone who told them to spend the extra few hundo roll their eyes and try not to say "I told you so".
    Sorta like boats, I used to tell people to pick out what you think you want, then get one two feet longer with the largest engine they build in it.
    And it's hard to find anyone who wants to buy a used 550.
    My progression was from 550 to two of them, and when I did I didn't have any trouble selling mine to a friend who was making the step into two 550s. I still have one and might always will, but I sure do like the 650 even more than I thought I would. I ended up getting the SL900, that is built on the 650 frame, and when I got used to that I realized I could be doing the same thing for metallic.
    Whoops, just realized I quoted a necropost.
    Well, I sorta started it...

Picked up a 650 last Monday. As a brand new reloader, I was a little hesitant to get a progressive. But based on various PF threads and the advice of a couple local shooters, I went with the 650 over the 550 and the Square Deal.

Spent a few hours setting it up and was turning out rounds by Wednesday evening. I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Picked up a 650 last Monday. As a brand new reloader, I was a little hesitant to get a progressive. But based on various PF threads and the advice of a couple local shooters, I went with the 650 over the 550 and the Square Deal.

Spent a few hours setting it up and was turning out rounds by Wednesday evening. I'm loving it.
    I can see arguments for having a good single stage around for various reasons, but I really don't understand why anyone would purchase a 550 when the 650 and the Hornady LnL are available. Auto-indexing + 5 stations is just flat-out better, no way around it.

I started with a 550. Still have it.

I have a single stage, 550, 650/case feeder and a fully automated Mark 7/MBF/1050 with RF100 primer filler.

I probably should sell the 550, but then I’d need to invest in 650 caliber conversions and I’m not sure it’s worth it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I started with a 550. Still have it.

I have a single stage, 550, 650/case feeder and a fully automated Mark 7/MBF/1050 with RF100 primer filler.

I probably should sell the 550, but then I’d need to invest in 650 caliber conversions and I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I know this is an old thread, and the water is under the bridge, but I've had a 550 for a long time now. At times I do wish I had one more station, and the case feeder options are far better for the 650, but the added cost of the additional bits ( case feeder, bullet feeder, automation usually comes after that) has kept me out of the 650 game. I know as soon as I get a basic 650... I'll want to ad the rest of the upgrades to it. I don't have time to shoot enough to justify the increased cost, vs keeping what I have. I'm 100% sure it'd speed up my loading times, but I do appreciate the simplicity of the manually indexed 550 I've had for a long time now. The biggest time/labor saver it would probably be fore me is being able to size/trim/de-crimp 5.56mm cases without handling each individual one.

The good thing about Dillon stuff, is that generally, even an old clunker machine commands a pretty decent price vs brand new, and Dillon will help you get things running even if you are missing parts, or have broken ones. They also still do machine refurbs, IIRC. So if you buy a 550 to start, and go to a 650, you can get a fair bit of your initial investment back out of the 550.

I'd probably keep mine, even if I got a 650. Caliber swaps are super fast.

I can load 100 rounds in about eight minutes on my 650.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List