Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker design considerations and safety

Striker design considerations and safety

Recently, I have discussed striker design considerations and safety with a number of forum members, in offline conversations.

So, is a partially cocked striker design like the Glock potientially safer than a fully cocked design both in routine use, or in the event of an abnormal situation like with a firing pin safety inoperative or parts worn beyond spec?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've always wondered if a glock striker were to fall from where it normally is at rest if it would set off a primer. If it would, it doesn't really seem like there's a functional difference between a partially cocked and fully cocked striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I've always wondered if a glock striker were to fall from where it normally is at rest if it would set off a primer. If it would, it doesn't really seem like there's a functional difference between a partially cocked and fully cocked striker.

It is certainly possible that the Glock could detonate a primer. It is designed NOT to do that though, where fully tensioned strikers are designed TO do so.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I've always wondered if a glock striker were to fall from where it normally is at rest if it would set off a primer.
    That assumes an inoperable firing pin block safety, right?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That assumes an inoperable firing pin block safety, right?
    Yes.

In safety land speak, risk is probability of occurrence combined with severity of impact.

Obviously an un-intended discharge is bad, so that side of the safety equation is the same. The real question is how likely is that bad occurrence to happen? Obviously it depends on the actual design, but I can't imagine it's all that high given how much engagement there is between trigger bar/sear and the striker on every gun I've taken apart. There'd have to be a lot of part wear.

I'd guess the fully-cocked versus partial thing is, more than anything, a by-product of balancing recoil spring versus striker spring and still reliably setting off military primers. -Disregard this last point, on second thought I don't think it plays any role.
    Last edited by busdriver; 03-11-2017 at 09:15 PM.

We just need someone to load primers into empty brass, remove their Glock FPS, and start dropping guns. Lol! As far as replicating a partially cocked striker releasing... I'm not sure how that would be done.

SOOO, is it safe to assume a PPQ is less safe than a Glock due to a FPS fail?

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    SOOO, is it safe to assume a PPQ is less safe than a Glock due to a FPS fail?
    I think that's the $64,000 question. In theory any fully tensioned striker is less safe. But as was pointed out above - if the partially cocked Glock striker will still detonate the primer, then why not carry a gun with a better trigger?
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-11-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    GJM, in the other thread did you mention a discharge with an M&P?

User Tag List