Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique My (2017) GSW/Trauma Kit

Critique My (2017) GSW/Trauma Kit

Unfortunately, I recently permanently misplaced my Gun Shot Wound (GSW) Trauma kit I assembled last year, documented in this thread: Critique my 2016 GSW/Trauma Kit

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

As an improvement, I actually wanted to 'carry' my kit with me, at the range, or in training. (My previous kit was located in my range bag. Ok, but I wanted it closer.)

After pondering what was important to me, and reviewing previous IFAK suggestions, I ended up splitting the contents into two separate "Units". One unit is meant to go in a front cargo pocket, and the other on my gun belt, snapped at the rear.
    Contents of each unit are as follows:

2017 GSW Kit

Unit 1: Carried on Belt

Consists of: Voodoo Tactical CAT Pouch; Flouride 7 1/2" Med Scissors; NA Rescue CAT TQ

Voodoo Tactical Tourniquet Pouch W/ Medical Shears Slot, Od Green - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YAW0RSE..._nthnXivL2gVc4

Prestige Medical Fluoride Scissor, Black, 7 1/2 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WJHE7E..._QAbsw7QCn9JaY

North American Rescue Military Issue Combat Application Tourniquet, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EGD8YC..._hvaBQm8PanBkR

Unit 2: Carried in Front Cargo Pocket

Consists of: Pair nitrile gloves; 5"x9" Combine Pad; H&H Mini Compression Bandage; 2xQuickclot 3"x24" Strips; Mini Roll Duct Tape; All flat-packed in a 1 Qt Zip Lok Bag (repurpose Zip Lok as chest seal)

H&H Mini Compression Bandage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L5RG6BE..._3zeXybVAFRVS4

QuikClot Advanced Clotting Gauze (3" x 24", 0.54 Ounce) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJTH5L2..._nMH1N2Znasmk4

As per last year, any comments, suggestions or improvements are welcome. TIA.

ETA: I am a retired .civ guy. I have 32 hours of Wilderness First Aid through Boy Scouts Adult training, and a 8 hour TCCC based GSW/Trauma course last year. Am current in CPR. I plan to take a refresher GSW class in 2017 at some point.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Paging Doctor Roberts....

I would add a couple chest seals.

Site Supporter
    What is your level of training?

Regardless I would add another TQ and two Izzy bandages to what some of the others have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    What is your level of training?

Regardless I would add another TQ and two Izzy bandages to what some of the others have mentioned.
    Training edited into original post. I'll see if I can stuff a SWAT in as well. I have an OLEAS which might fit. My Israeli bandages were in the lost kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gear is awesome, but it's all about training and mindset. And if you had training and mindset, you wouldn't need to ask what you need. (Similar to people asking what's the right CCW gun for them to get)

So, my critique is that the item missing from your kit is training, and lots of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Critique My (2017) GSW/Trauma Kit

Also, what is your kit for?

Is it:
    1). A kit for you to deploy on yourself
    1 a). For Catastrophic Injury
    1 b). For life threatening emergencies
    1 c). For medical care
    2). A kit for someone else to deploy on you
    2 a). For catastrophic emergencies?
    2 b). For life threatening emergencies?
    2 c). For medical care?
    3). A kit to deploy on someone else.
    3 a). For catastrophic emergencies?
    3 b). For life threatening emergencies?
    3 c). For medical care?
    4). A kit to give to a medically trained person to deploy on someone else
    4a, 4b, 4c, etc?

I ask because you state GSW but, people often think that is the most likely life threatening danger they will face at a range, and it most definitely is not the most likely.

Last edited by Josh Runkle; 03-11-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    IMHO (ALS level training), the SWAT does not work as well as other TQs. When used in a training role it was very difficult to achieve sufficient tension on larger arms and legs to stop arterial flow. The TQs made of nylon and using a windlass are far more capable. Unless you live/work/train a long way from ALS and surgical treatment, crinkle gauze, Izzy bandages, ace wraps, chest seal, gloves, and CATs or SOFT-W TQ's will take care of it. If you have the training, an NP airway and a chest dart are good additions that take up minimal space. There are other things that would be good to have but since you specified GSW Tx, we will stick with those.
    Last edited by Jason M; 03-11-2017 at 03:16 PM.

I would add chest seals.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Also, what is your kit for?

Is it:
    1). A kit for you to deploy on yourself
    1 a). For Catastrophic Injury
    1 b). For life threatening emergencies
    1 c). For medical care
    2). A kit for someone else to deploy on you
    2 a). For catastrophic emergencies?
    2 b). For life threatening emergencies?
    2 c). For medical care?
    3). A kit to deploy on someone else.
    3 a). For catastrophic emergencies?
    3 b). For life threatening emergencies?
    3 c). For medical care?
    4). A kit to give to a medically trained person to deploy on someone else
    4a, 4b, 4c, etc?

I ask because you state GSW but, people often think that is the most likely life threatening danger they will face at a range, and it most definitely is not the most likely.

I would answer this question first, for sure, and think carefully about the kinds of medical conditions you and/or your loved ones are likely to encounter on a regular basis. Prioritize essential items for life-threatening and common conditions, in that order. Chest seals sound neat, but are as likely to need one (or know when you need one) as a few packets of baby aspirin?

Immediately I can tell you that you probably don't need those trauma shears on your person, assuming that you carry a pocket knife that you keep reasonably sharp. Shears are nice - especially if you're working with someone who might try to use anything within arm's reach as a weapon - but definitely not necessary. Otherwise looks fine, I like Israeli bandages because they are self-adherent but I am sure the 3M product you have works great too.

Also, I know you travel, but unless you're somewhere with significant (>30m) EMS response times, basically the TQ and gauze will be probably all you will need to stabilize someone with a penetrating traumatic injury.

User Tag List