Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How a red dot is changing my shooting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Kennydale,

I don't think the mako product will give you red dot performance - it is still an iron sight and will require you to split focus between the sight and the target.

The eye focuses by using the eye muscles to change the shape of the eye. As we age, we lose "elasticity" in the eye and it takes us longer to switch focus such as from near to far etc.

A big advantage of RDS is you look through the optic, superimposing the dot on the target which is your focus point so you only have a single focal point.

As far as slide milling the Dueck defense and Raven concealment Balor mounts are solid, reasonably priced and require no modification to your Glock.

The RMR is the most proven optic but the leupold delta point pro is another option. It has a SOCOM contract and other than GJM's experience here I've not heard of any reported issues. GJM was an early adopter and you know the deal with being a beta tester. Optics planet has the DP Pro for $399.
    That's something to think about. in the meantime i drool over the people i know that have RED DOTS on handguns -Thanks !
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Battery life on the DP Pro is rather dismal compared to Aimpoint and RMR...
    Results / feed back on this have been mixed. I would like to hear any feed back you have Doc.

For myself, shooting the through RMR is like shooting Indoors with sunglasses on. I'm not a fan of the tint or the small window.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-12-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Results / feed back on this have been mixed. I would like to hear any feed back you have Doc.

For myself, shooting the through RMR is like shooting Indoors with sunglasses on. I'm not a fan of the tint or the small window.
    I agree that reports are mixed. Others have reported good battery life. I have seven DP Pro optics, on a variety of Glock and CZ pistols, and if I don't religiously turn the optic on when beginning shooting, and then off when done, none of mine have EDC duration battery life. When left on, my battery life is measured in days or weeks, but certainly not months.

Whenever I see someone at a match with a Pro, invariably they report having no battery issues, but they turn the optic on at the beginning of the stage, and off afterwards, just like an Open shooter does with a C-More. (Incidentally, I left my C-More on my AR9 on at the end of stage five today at 1130 am, discovered it at 6pm, and will need a new battery before my next session with it.)

Given that my DP Pro optics span a variety of manufacturing months, I just can not reconcile my battery experience with claims of long life suitable for EDC.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I change my RMR batteries every couple of years; the DP Pro batteries get changed every couple of weeks.....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I'll throw in another data point from a newbie to red dot optic on handgun. I just installed a J point red dot on my Glock 22 a few weeks ago. It is a basic install using the rear sight dovetail with no co witness and just a standard Trijicon front sight as I am trying things out to see how it works for me. I have had the sight I got used in a trade with a friend who ran it on his off duty Glock for a few years. It has to be at least 10+ years old and has scratches and nicks on the housing and lens and the lens coating is peeling or deteriorating near the edges of the lens near the housing. It works with just a new battery so I am running with it for range use for now. My eyes are aging so the need for reading glasses has come and this is one way to adapt to it.

So far I haven't fired many rounds through the gun but have fired 40 and 9mm with a conversion barrel. My experience so far has been positive with the usual improved groups overall and especially at distance where they really tightened up. I am not a group shooter and often have the flyer or two ruin a good group but that is on me. With the red dot it seems like groups are smaller even with flyers. I have shot the red dot with and without RX glasses and it seems to make no difference as I had hoped and expected. Picking up the dot was a small issue in initial dry firing at home but seemed like it quickly went away and at the range didn't seem to be an issue at all in faster shooting. I haven't pushed hard for speed yet but running it as fast as I can pick up the dot seemed fairly close to my usual fast speed. I'll have to use a timer to get hard data.

Battery life I cannot comment on other that to say I am using Harbor freight batteries and I cover the sight when I am done dryfiring each day or storage to and from range.

So far so good and I am happy with the results and use. More to come as I get more time with it dry and live fire.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Can you post a picture of your SC set up? That's some scary good shooting with a pistol that size.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

These threads are encouraging me to step up and put an extra T-1 to use. I'll probably pick up Raven's Balor mount and see what happens. I have a strong suspicion my astigmatism will be thankful.

Anyone have any comments or anecdotes on running a T-1 on a handgun?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

My wife has started running a T1 on an Atom Gen 3 19 slide while out boondocking in the desert. It has been completely reliable regardless of grip.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife has started running a T1 on an Atom Gen 3 19 slide while out boondocking in the desert. It has been completely reliable regardless of grip.
    Does she conceal it? Any general commentary on it? Thank you in advance.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    These threads are encouraging me to step up and put an extra T-1 to use. I'll probably pick up Raven's Balor mount and see what happens. I have a strong suspicion my astigmatism will be thankful.

Anyone have any comments or anecdotes on running a T-1 on a handgun?
    usually a red dot does not help an astigmatism. Not insurmountable for most, but not a benefit.

User Tag List