Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How a red dot is changing my shooting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    usually a red dot does not help an astigmatism. Not insurmountable for most, but not a benefit.
    I think I misspoke or mistyped or have been trapped in my office for too long, I like the T-1 due to the fact the RMR dot is a 45-degree football blur. I think this runs contrary to others with an astigmatism. I feel like my competencies with irons are still growing but I have heard from many that a pistol RDS is well-received for shooters with vision issues, I just don't have the experience to judge that yet.

I have a class with Bill Rapier weekend after next, so hopefully the Balor I just ordered arrives in time so I can familiarize myself with it to decide if I want to use in class.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 03-14-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Can you post a picture of your SC set up? That's some scary good shooting with a pistol that size.
    Name:  IMG_0464.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  99.4 KB

Pick up the baseplate from a forum member on another forum. Nexgen tactical I think. I can get my pinky finger on the grip and it makes a difference to have a essentially a full grip.

Is that a complete SC Model or SC grip module on a compact upper? That's what I really want to see. A SC Grip module with a compact upper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Name:  IMG_0464.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  99.4 KB

Pick up the baseplate from a forum member on another forum. Nexgen tactical I think. I can get my pinky finger on the grip and it makes a difference to have a essentially a full grip.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Is that a complete SC Model or SC grip module on a compact upper? That's what I really want to see. A SC Grip module with a compact upper.
    Yes, it's a compact slide (RX) and the sub compact grip module. The subcompact slide would be flush with the end of the grip module, so the compact slide adds roughly 1/4 inch as you can see in the picture.

Below is the true subcompact to give you a comparison. The difference is it has the medium grip module with a rail, the fde with the optic is the small grip module and no rail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Does she conceal it? Any general commentary on it? Thank you in advance.
    I would say cover more than conceal.

She likes the DP Pro for shooting, but we don't trust the battery life, based on personal experience across multiple units. Likes RMR battery life and controls, don't care for the RMR display. Besides small, we have experienced issues with wet and sun light angle distorting the dot, so that it appears as many dots.

The Aimpoint is bulky, has a display smaller than the DP Pro, but seems to have durability, battery life and weather performance going for it. Here are a few shots from her Saturday and Sunday exploits last weekemd.

Name:  IMG_3134.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  101.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    usually a red dot does not help an astigmatism. Not insurmountable for most, but not a benefit.
    I just got my P320RX compact and my worsening astigmatism (farsighted) has something to do with my buying decision. Haven't shot it enough to know but it seems easier to focus on the target instead of the blurry front sight. It will take much more practice before I can figure out how it affects my shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Battery life on the DP Pro is rather dismal compared to Aimpoint and RMR...
    Doc...I know you've recorded it elsewhere, but which model Trijicon RMR do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For applications where an Aimpoint would not work, we ended up using the RMR06 pretty much across the board--handguns, SMG, shotgun, rifles.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I'm not currently running a RDS on any of my carry pistols, however I am experimenting at the range because these eyes aren't getting any younger.

Last night I needed to sight in a .22 pistol with a new rail w/ iron sights and then a RDS, which was a great opportunity to compare. Here are the results of a few groups, this is with a fairly new Browning BuckMark, with cheap lead round nose 22LR ammo (Aguila). All groups were shot freehand at about 15 yards. Two five-shot groups to get the iron sights zeroed, then a 10-round group with irons; then mounted the RDS (the relatively inexpensive Browning one made for the BuckMark) on the rail and it was dead on so shot one 15-round group. That's all I had time for since we had a full house and two of us had to take turns backing up the primary range officer. Anyway here are the results:

iron sights 5-rd group = 2.5 in
    iron sights 5-rd group = 3.0 in
    iron sights 10-rd group = 3.1 in (without one flyer, it would have been a hair under 2.0 in)
    red dot sight 15-rd group = 1.8 in

Limited data set, but certainly an edge to the RDS. What the numbers don't show is that I was able to shoot that smaller group more quickly and more easily.

Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  38.5 KB
    Last edited by Salamander; 03-17-2017 at 12:00 AM.

I've been spending the past ~month shooting my MK25 RX. This pistol has totally transformed how I view the effectiveness of pistol optics. It has made shooting just...easier. Sure, irons are still faster at close distances, but for me, that's where the advantages stop. I've got 1200 rounds through this setup so far and I've shot it in the last 3 local pistol matches I entered. Think USPSA style. I usually place top ~10 overall at local matches with my iron sighted guns (lately Berettas), and top ~5 in my division (15 round mag capacity). The only thing I've changed in the past 3 matches has been the gun, and my standings at each match have risen dramatically. I took the overall win at a local indoor match Thursday night with the MK25 RX (shooting against Open guys, other 15 division shooters...40ish competitors).

My shooting hasn't sped up per say during matches or practice, but my accuracy has tightened up a fair bit. I thought I was pretty good at sight tracking, but after reviewing some stages I would often see that I missed shots I thought I had called correctly (head shots for instance). With the red dot setup, I have hit and called every shot successfully. Last 2 matches I've shot completely clean, no mikes or hitting a no-shoot.

Sample of one but I've been very impressed so far with this setup and the increased ease at which I can make accurate hits at speed compared to iron sights.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 03-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List