Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .300 Blackout; Anyone tried CFE BLK?

My load and velocity data are pretty much non existent at this point. I know what I loaded but I cant get the gun to run and haven't chronied anything. I shouldn't say the gun won't run. It runs fine when the ammo chambers. I haven't really even started to work up a load yet. I was just using up the Lapua pills that have been collecting dust for years. My ultimate goal is to work up a subsonic load for hard cast(maybe coated) heavies. I'm looking at a 247 gr 4 cavity hollow point mold from NOE
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=999

I'll bring some of the formed brass, what I have already loaded(not much), the little bit of S&B factory stuff I have and maybe load up another handful for comparison. I doubt I'll have the RCBS die by Friday, but it's possible.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 03-19-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Sean,
    I'll bring the pistol to VA next week. I wasn't going to ask, but I sure do appreciate your help on this.

GuanoLoco et al,
    I picked up a box of Selier & Bellot sub sonic, 220gn cartridges today and they feed and chamber fine manually. But then so do my hand loads that refused to go into battery yesterday.

The diameter at the shoulder is about .003 greater on my hand loads than the S&B cases. SAAMI Spec is .361", mine measure .360" and the S&B cases measure .357". That is the only measurable difference I can detect. Other than COAL and mine are shorter with lighter bullets. My loads are .17" from contacting the lands.

If all I have to do is get a tighter sizing die for the initial form up, I'll be a happy camper.

GL,
    Just out of curiosity, how would the Sheridan slotted gauge be any better than any other drop in gauge? It can't match my chamber specifically.
    The guages I've seen only help with setting the shoulder and maybe OAL. The slotted gauge lets you see where the round is hanging up in the gauge. I think it is designed to help with diagnosing such issues.

If you are confident that you aren't in the lands then suggest pushing the shoulder back a little further. Manufacturers quickly learn to set up so that their ammo works in the largest # of guns.

Long shot - make sure there aren't any dings or deformities on the base of the case. This can usually be quickly fixed with a file.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    My load and velocity data are pretty much non existent at this point. I know what I loaded but I cant get the gun to run and haven't chronied anything. I shouldn't say the gun won't run. It runs fine when the ammo chambers. I haven't really even started to work up a load yet. I was just using up the Lapua pills that have been collecting dust for years. My ultimate goal is to work up a subsonic load for hard cast(maybe coated) heavies. I'm looking at a 247 gr 4 cavity hollow point mold from NOE
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=999

I'll bring some of the formed brass, what I have already loaded(not much), the little bit of S&B factory stuff I have and maybe load up another handful for comparison. I doubt I'll have the RCBS die by Friday, but it's possible.
    Hopefully we can shoot it on the range. I'll bring some of my loads and a variety of factory loads to test. I'm guessing the issue is with your LC Converted brass. But that's just a guess.

I'll bring my sizing die and hand press too.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I just loaded up 20 of the 178 pills at 13gr CFE BLK and 18 chambered fine, 2 did not go into battery. I separated them for comparison.

I think you are correct in that the issue is the Lee sizing die was just not meant for forming new brass. The interwebz consensus is the RCBS SB die is the best non forming sizing die for the job.
    TANSTAAFL

I just polished the base of the Lee full length resizer with 2000grit and Berserker Blue. Maybe removed .0001(maybe not). There was a small imperfection and a visible concentric ring on the base that are now gone and it's polished to a mirror finish so there was definitely a bit of material removed. My measuring equipment is not that precise. This should effectively bump the shoulder a tiny bit.

I'll load another 20 rounds with the polished die later and bring those along as well.
    TANSTAAFL

User Tag List