Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 207: Hyper Mozambique

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I probably don't shoot enough at 3 yards so I decided to run this with my G17 carried OWB. I shot a 5.94, clean. Fun drill.
    That's lightning, sorry I'm new so not familiar but what's your set up? (gear)
    Last edited by SsevenN; 03-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    That's lightning, sorry I'm new so not familiar but what's your set up? (gear)
    Nothing special. The gun is Gen4 G17 with Heinie Ledge sights carried under a flannel shirt in an old Comp-Tac slide holster and the reload was from a Comp-tac single mag pouch.
    C Class shooter.

Gun, target and spacing used : G17 MOS w/DPP, USPSA target with 3 yard spacing.
    Total raw time : 7.12
    Total penalties accrued : 0
    Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued) : 7.12
    Observations: anything you noticed: This one read easier for me than it turned out. Part of the problem was that I just didn't shoot it fast enough. All my hits were A's even the head shots. Should have used the whole target on head like it said. Other problem was reload which really shouldn't be since you can do most of that work dry. Something that effects that though is that when I dry work reloads it is either from my USPSA gear or my EDC gear and in a nice warm house. I shot this in my USPSA gear but with a lot of layers including a sweater and coat that were getting in the way. I know, whine, whine, whine.

Gun, target and spacing used : Ruger 1911 OWB holster, USPSA target spaced 3 yards apart.
    Total raw time : 7.92
    Total penalties accrued : 0
    Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued) : 7.92
    Observations: anything you noticed : Pretty much the same as above. I do have to slow down with the .45 a little as I am not used to working with the heavier recoil with only around 1,000 rounds through this, my only 1911.

Week 207: Hyper Mozambique

Gun, target and spacing used: Glock 19 w/ trijicon hds, jmck George. Uspsa targets spaced 3 yards apart.
    Total raw time: 7.58, 7.04, 6.65 videod first two runs only. Should've done the last one!
    Total penalties accrued: 0
    Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued): 7.58, 7.04, 6.65
    Observations: here is the video

My first run had a few issues. I forgot I needed to reload before the second target. My gun didn't lock back (grip issues) I feel like I recovered fairly quickly once I realized it didn't lock back. Second run went better. My reloads need improvement. In need to keep the gun higher to get back on target faster.

This is a really fun drill. Because it's a three Yards I could shoot fast (for me). Who doesn't like to do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JCS; 03-22-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Mr. White can I ask do you bother tracking the front sight at this distance or is it Kinesthetic shooting for you?
    Sorry SsevenN, this slipped by me before.

I pretty much shoot with a hard front sight focus at any distance where I am fully extending the gun - so pretty much anything beyond two arms' lengths. Shot that way in this drill. Three yards is close enough that factually, a lot of times I could get away with not bothering to get hard/sharp/clear focus on the front sight. But my shooting is simply night-and-day better when I do get hard/sharp/clear focus on the front sight so I pretty much just do that.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Beretta 92G, USPSA targets, three yards, one yard spacing due to range constraints
    Total raw time: 7.03
    No penalties
    Grand total score: 7.03
    Split times: 1.48/.24/.24/.20/.37/.35/2.69/.25/.23/.23/.49/.26

Quick, fun drill. I would like to try it again with 3 yard spacing. My draw time and reload time have improved in the past few weeks. I'm happy with the progress.

I did this three times in a row today.

I shot with my Beretta PX4 full size 9mm, shooting IDPA targets at damn near three yards apart (265cm to be precise...), from concealment.
    Raw times were 8.13s (bad reload) with 0.25s penalty, 7.36 clean, 6.90s with 0.25s penalty.
    So total scores were: 8.38s, 7.36s, 7.15s
    Observations: I don't know how to shoot from three yards away. I keep wanting either to aim or start moving back. Also, my slide lock reloads suck. (Today was pretty much the first time this year the ground in the outdoor range I shoot in wasn't too nasty to dump magazines to. So I've got a grand total of one slide lock reload under time pressure under my belt for this year, prior to today.) I had left 3x5" post-it notes to the head boxes since I was running low on time. Turns out if they are there I want to aim for them, whether I need to or not...

This was a fun drill. I'm going to make this into an IDPA stage.

Name:  IMG_20170409_175051728.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  19.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170409_175100377.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  19.1 KB
    Last edited by That Guy; 04-09-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added photos

G34, USPSA, 1 yard spacing
    Raw time: 5.91
    Penalties: 0
    Total: 5.91
    Observations: need to be more target focused need work on draw. saved time by transitioning my hips while performing the reload.

Shot this from a 50 yd indoor range so had to go with 1 target and keep the body and head close together. Offset it slightly by using a B8 instead of the more generous body. I figured it shouldn't impact time too much on the body, but realize the transition may be impacted more.

Shot with a CZ 75 SP-01 from my CCC Gestalt holster.

Total raw time: 6.32 sec
    Total penalties accrued: I scored two penalties. One shot left on the body, and one low on the head that landed high on the B8.
    Grand total score = 6.82 sec
    Observations: Needed to tighten up on grip post reload so I don't drop shots and incur penalties. Even though only one penalty on head box, two barely squeaked in.

Name:  hyper mozambique.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  29.6 KB

User Tag List