Thread: Re-stakingRem. 870 Shell Latches. Northern California?

Re-stakingRem. 870 Shell Latches. Northern California?

Any recommendations?

I have 2 870's that need shell latch re-staking. I could send them off to Wilson Combat, but then I would be tempted to get a bunch of other stuff done. One of them was sent to Wilson years ago for the "Remington Steal" and it was awesome, like new. It had issues with loose shell latches, and ran fine after the work was done. Now one of the latches has come loose again, and i get a double feed from time to time as before. It was manufactured in 1980 or so, it was my first shotgun. The other my dad bought used, who knows when it was made (chrome shell lifter). Both latches are loose, but it does not seem to be a problem with this one, no double feeds. Seems to me that when they become un-staked, the latches no longer have the proper spring tension, and allow two shells to slip past. Sucks, big design flaw. Feeling the love for Mossberg....

Edit to add..

Ordered a staking tool from Brownelles and watched a video. Doesn't look so bad to DYI. Probably a good thing to have on-hand.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 03-10-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Try J.D. at https://www.aiptactical.com/ in Michigan for any of your 870 needs. He is a bit crusty, but he really knows the 870. His work is second to none. He also can get you any 870 part you might need.

Bought the restaking tool, and it does work:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod9495.aspx

A bit awkward to use, and you need to get the point right at the edge of the channel that the latch sits in. According to Brownelles and others, the staking is just for convenience when re-assembling, your 870 should function with them unstaked, it's just harder to reassemble. Fortunately I have two 870's both with the shell 'catch' latch (opposite side of the ejection port) unstaked, one gets double feeds one does not. I took the 'catch' latches out of both guns and swapped them. Both guns now run fine (unstaked), no double feeds with either. Examining both latches side by side, the problem latch was a bit thinner material, and not as springy. The good one seems to be a bit heavier gauge, and has more of a bow in it ( the 870 shell latches are leaf springs FYI).

I am also guessing that the fire control group fits in the receiver of the non problem gun slightly tighter that that of the problem gun, better keeping the problem latch tight against the receiver in it's channel. This provides sufficient sprig tension for the problem latch to function properly. When the problem latch was in it's original gun, it did not have proper tension and would allow a shell to slip past during cycling. Also, the extended magazine would exacerbate this, as the increased rearward pressure on the latch would make the double feed happen more frequently. When tested without the 2 round extension, it rarely happened. I have a couple of new latches on order, since they are $20.00, they are something good to have on hand.

One other area to look at is the tab on the front of the latch that rests on the magazine tube. A bit of filing can help move the portion that actually contacts the rim of the shell inward twords the primer, creating a more positive hold on the rim of the shell.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 03-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.

User Tag List