Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another winter adventure in Idaho!

Another winter adventure in Idaho!

The family pup Henry and I decided that we needed a guys weekend this last weekend (I have all girls in my house). So I decided that it was a good time to head for the cabin. I grabbed some gear, snow shoes, a rifle and we headed out.

He was pretty happy to look at the scenery and smell the smells!

The wind chill in the truck was brisk though.

When we got to the cabin I was glad I brought the snow shoes.

Henry was probably wishing he had some a couple times:

More to follow

The wind was up and it was fairly cool, but the view from the porch is always good:

The peak in the center of the pic is Mount Borah, which is Idaho's tallest, at 12, 600 and change.

I was glad I brought in my snow shovel, as stuff was buried. The wood pile is about 5 feet tall, and only the top pieces were visible. The generator shed and outhouse had a bit of snow built up around them too, though not as bad as the drift against the wood pile.

Here is a shot of Mount Dickey, which is a bit over 11K I think.

I have seen ski tracks down the face of that before, during the spring season.

The generator shed was pretty buried.

More to follow

Cool pics! You know it snows when your generator needs a shed!

The wind came up and completely blew in our tracks.

I had stomped down a path to the outhouse when I went out there to close the door that somehow got unlatched. The path was gone.

Being that it was a "Guys Weekend", Henry got a "Guys cabin meal".

Better shot of my very humble place. It has a great little wood stove though and is dry and warm. We hunt elk in December, and when it is 25 below, the cabin is a welcome sight.

After a day of playing in the snow, Henry likes the wood stove too:

The closest small town is about a 50+ mile round trip. I had run in for supplies, and stopped to get 2 to-go orders of biscuits and gravy for the morning. I heated up the biscuits and gravy for breakfast, and we were both happy campers!

I figured he needed a good meal, as I wanted to go hike in the mountains a bit further south, where there was less snow.

We took off up the side of an area where I often hunt elk. I have seen big cat sign, and it was only a few miles from where I lost a quarter of an elk to a mountain lion a few years back, when I was packing out quarters. Plus in December I had seen some very healthy coyotes while trying to get my daughter onto an elk, so I figured I would pack a long gun. Normally I just roll with a handgun. Naturally since I had the rifle, I never saw a coyote, but they were singing all around me a couple times.

We climbed about 4 hours or so, then took a break.

Hot tea (or any hot beverage) on the mountainside, when it is cold out is always a good morale boost and gets me charged to hike more.

User Tag List