Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stage Planning - Tips & Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    One thing I have been doing is trying to squad with the best shooters in my club. I watch their match prep and stage planning closely and ask questions when it's appropriate.

Thanks for the responses in this thread, it's all good stuff to think about.
    Excellent suggestion. You can learn plenty from watching the grown ups and how they approach things. And most of the guys will go out of their way to help a new shooter as long as you aren't a dick.

Two quick hints on that though.

Don't start asking questions when he's on standby and is getting his shit together to shoot the stage. Or even worse when he's walking to the line.

Don't tell the dude who just crushed you on the stage how he's wrong when he gives you advice because Mcmillan Rosebush and Instructor 32 degrees on you tube said you should do it differently

Oh and Matt Hopkins is right

On your walk through
    "Exit out the back of the stage!!"
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Shoot slow, do everything else fast. Well, you want to shoot fast too, but time between shots is where you can make up time.
    Chuckle...
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Here's some things I find useful in stage planning:

1. The most important thing to do to improve efficiency is to reduce # of shooting positions. I count even shuffling my feet a few inches to bring a target into visibility as an extra shooting position. If you save a reload but added a shooting position you lost time almost without a doubt.

2. Choose the least risky plan. Finishing a second or two down on a stage will not hurt your match score much when the winner just had a better plan, but blowing the same stage bc you tried to go to slide lock 3 times in the stage and ended up doing standing reloads as a result will kill your time.

3. Once you have a plan, mentally rehearse it over and over and don't change it even if a shooter on your squad ahead of you does something you think is much better/smarter.

4. Try setting up a stage in practice. Run it the most efficient way you can 5 times. Now run it the least efficient way you can think of 5 more times and compare results. I think you'll be shocked at the outcome. Hint, they will be very close, which leads me back to the first three points above.

Another fun stage comparison to do in practice: setup a stage and shoot it where you run through the stage as fast as you can, and shoot it again where you walk between positions, but shoot, draw, transition, etc at the same speed as your fast run. Be aggressive with your walking, I.e. Enter positions with gun up ready to shoot, leave positions quickly as you're firing your last shot, but walk between shooting positions. I think the results will also surprise you outside of stages you have to run 10+ yards between positions.
    Last edited by Gio; 03-11-2017 at 02:55 PM.

User Tag List