Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stage Planning - Tips & Tricks

Stage Planning - Tips & Tricks

I though it would be good to share ideas about stage planning and mental prep.

I'm very much aware that this is a muscle that can only be trained by shooting more stages. I found myself very behind on time in my last match due in part to some stage planning and prep errors and I want to learn more about this aspect of the game.

One thing I learned at my last match:

1) Once you have set your plan and mentally run through the stage thoroughly, it's best to stick with the plan, even if you see someone do something that is faster. I made this mistake on my first stage at the last match, and changed my stage plan right before I stepped up to the line. The result was two botched reloads and improper positioning at a critical part of the stage. I figure it cost me at least 4 seconds.

So if you have some tips and tricks about stage planning please share. Perhaps we can make this thread a resource for others!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Take a few moments to look at the stage before jumping into a plan. If you start walking a plan straight away you will start that groove in your head and sometimes miss better options.

Understand that unless your plan is mouth breather stupid it's not going to make that much of a difference. Your ability to execute the plan and the skills therein are what get results not the half step you save in a spot.

Generally plans with silly chance taking backfire. A simple easy to execute plan that doesn't require perfect foot placement and body placement beats the one that's therotically easier but has you more focused on where to step than pulling the trigger.

If you can make the shots easier make the shots easier. As with everything it's about "within reason" so don't run 25m to get 5m closer to the target. But often times while the bullet travels 5m faster than you do getting to the easier position speeds up set up and shot time enough to be worth it.

Make a plan that works for your skill level. That goes both ways, don't try execute the plan of the dude in your squad who can hit four targets between hitting and activator and the activated target coming out, if you can only hit one in that time. By the same token if you can hit four targets with a good degree of certainty don't chicken out and waste time .

If things go pear shaped get back on plan as soon as possible and just continue executing it.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

How many of you sketch out a plan for each dtage? I have seen a few do that, thinking about giving it a try.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bummy425 View Post
    How many of you sketch out a plan for each dtage? I have seen a few do that, thinking about giving it a try.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    In IPSC we only have 5 minutes to walk the stages and may not step onto them before that, so theres no time for a any sketches.

I've seen guys try use the diagrams from the COF to make plans and it generally ends in tears.

During the walk through, go down range behind the walls and find and count all the targets. Make sure you have found all the hidden targets.

Never, never, put a partially loaded magazine back in your pouch.

Relax. Isn't this supposed to be fun?

show up early and help build the stages

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    show up early and help build the stages
    We have people to do that for us

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    In IPSC we only have 5 minutes to walk the stages and may not step onto them before that, so theres no time for a any sketches.

I've seen guys try use the diagrams from the COF to make plans and it generally ends in tears.
    No field course stage design survives construction.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Focus on identifying a correct plan (engage all targets), a simple plan, a low risk plan. Program the plan thoroughly and try to execute it well. Be aware of your level of skill and plan accordingly.

I'm going to guess too much time obsessing about stage planning and not nearly enough time spent on stage programming (at least 10x, can you wordlessly do it with your eyes closed envisioning every sight picture?). In Ben Stoeger classes he routinely takes a complex stage and executes it to the best of his ability with the best and worst proposed plans. There isn't much difference - at least for him. Us mortal folk have more opportunity to screw things up with complex/risky plans.

Compound with not enough practice so you are trying to add 'one more thing' like grip/trigger/whatever consciously and it is a recipe for inconsistency at best.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Agreed...a simple plan, executed aggressively is far better than a complex plan that you screw up.

I like to get round count and target count, first, take a walk through, make sure my math lines up with the round count so I know I have all the targets. Then I plan round count and then reloads. For instance, if I have a 24 round count stage with 11 paper and two steel targets, I make sure that I count up 11 paper and two steel. Then I start working up a way of moving through the stage, counting the rounds (2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,17,18,20,22,24), then I start working out when I reload while moving through the stage (2,4,6,8,reload,2,4,6,reload,1,2,4,6,8,10).

From there I make sure I have a reference point where I execute my reloads, and just kinda visualize afterwards.

User Tag List