Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta To Do

Atlanta To Do

I have a trip coming up to Atlanta and am looking for advice on things to see or do, I'll have several days to burn.

Currently the only thing on the list is the Aquarium and perhaps Stone Mountain. I'm open to most ideas or even leaving Atlanta proper for a couple days. We enjoy brewery and distillery tours if there are any good ones in the area.

What needs to be on my list?

I spent a day at the Porsche Experience Center there last week. Highly recommended. 911 Turbo S hauls ass!

Kennessaw Mountain Battlefield
    Coke
    CNN Center
    Stone Mountain
    Talulah Gorge (a couple hours north.)
    The Varsity
    Warm Springs, The National Infantry Museum (a couple hours south.)
    The High Museum

It's a short list, Atlanta is a sports and party town.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I have a trip coming up to Atlanta and am looking for advice on things to see or do, I'll have several days to burn.

Currently the only thing on the list is the Aquarium and perhaps Stone Mountain. I'm open to most ideas or even leaving Atlanta proper for a couple days. We enjoy brewery and distillery tours if there are any good ones in the area.

What needs to be on my list?
    Monday Night Brewing
    Sweetwater Brewery
    American Spirit Works
    Wrecking Bar (brewpub)

For BBQ see Das BBQ and or Heirloom BBQ

Personally I'd skip the aquarium; it feels like a shopping mall with fish tanks.

If you want to go on a hike check out Kennesaw Mountain

Grab a burger at The Vortex

Explore the Atlanta Belt Line( get on near Piedmont park). Nice walking and bike path connecting different parts of town.

Good bar scene in Virginia Highlands and Little Five Points

Brilliant authentic Mexican food at Bone Garden(not Tex mex)

Bufford highway is littered with good korean/Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants.

I've heard good things about the new Porsche HQ

Stoddard's indoor range in downtown is nice.

Chattahoochee National Parks (near I75 and I285) has fantastic trails for running and mountain biking.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 03-08-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    Jekyll Brewing is another you can tour -- a bit North of town.

If you plan to be there during warm weather, Lake Lanier offers water sports and a resort.

Unicoi Start Park up near Helen, GA offers good hiking and scenery -- 2 to 2 1/2 hours away depending on traffic.

I live halfway between ATL and Dahlonega. Dahlonega is a cool historic little town for eats and light shopping and great folks. If you aren't dying to get the heck AWAY from Atlanta which is how I am about all cities, not just ATL, then the above threads are full of great ideas. Particularly the micro breweries. They put out a lot great beers.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-09-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Jekyll Brewing is another you can tour -- a bit North of town.

If you plan to be there during warm weather, Lake Lanier offers water sports and a resort.

Unicoi Start Park up near Helen, GA offers good hiking and scenery -- 2 to 2 1/2 hours away depending on traffic.
    Seconded. Helen GA is worth a visit. It is small town that's got a theme going of a German Alpine village. A bit kitschy but kinda cute. Good German beer und Brats.

When we still lived in South FL, Helen and Dahlonega and the Dillard House restaurant were regular stops on our motorcycle trips up to the Smoky Mtns for some hiking.

Now that we actually live up here we don't get down there all that often anymore. Lots of scenic areas in north GA.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I wasn't terribly impressed with Helen. If you like crowds, difficulty parking, and then walking around a touristy collection of overpriced shops, then you'll enjoy it.

It's a little bit of a drive, but Wild Animal Safari is a blast. https://www.animalsafari.com/Wild_Animal_Safari.html
    Rent their car with bars for windows, buy a few cups of food, and drive through the park feeding animals. The giraffes and deer and whatnot will come right up to your car and stick their faces in to get you to feed them. It's the only place I know you can pet a giraffe's nose while it nibbles food out of your hand.

Stone Mountain is a lot of fun. Take the train ride and eat at the restaurant with Coke-marinated ribs.

http://tellusmuseum.org/ is a cool museum just north of Atlanta.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I wasn't terribly impressed with Helen.
    Yeah, we don't typically visit Helen for the town itself -- but Unicoi is a very scenic State Park and I just use Helen as a reference point.

User Tag List