Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn, I like a revolver!

Bowen's website might as well be redtube for people like us.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I miss carrying a revolver as a primary but I don't know that I could ever go back but in limited circumstances.
    Wait until you retire. Then, it is a an enign new game... You what you want to do about taking caring yourself.

I've got a month or two left before the sudden health loss takes me out. I'm aleady past my favorite HKs and have gone to single-round-Grock mags; light enough to make a difference, which was a bit interesing. Last will be one of my AirWeight J frames; the lightest real pieced their is. And then, once I can no longer basic care for my self, I'm stuck in the rack until it's done.

I had a real set-up to finish my self while I still can; the wife wouldn't buy it. :G

But, but God, it was a good life... I have no complates or cares. Hopefully I call still watch the crew here... Always an interesting place.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Wait until you retire. Then, it is a an enign new game... You what you want to do about taking caring yourself.

I've got a month or two left before the sudden health loss takes me out. I'm aleady past my favorite HKs and have gone to single-round-Grock mags; light enough to make a difference, which was a bit interesing. Last will be one of my AirWeight J frames; the lightest real pieced their is. And then, once I can no longer basic care for my self, I'm stuck in the rack until it's done.

I had a real set-up to finish my self while I still can; the wife wouldn't buy it. :G

But, but God, it was a good life... I have no complates or cares. Hopefully I call still watch the crew here... Always an interesting place.

Brother, it saddens me to hear this though I know it awaits us all. If there's anything I can do just shoot me a PM. Even just to b.s. if so inclined.

I've been retired for several years already as I got out early...when I met age and service requirements. I don't regret it for a moment but I do miss the chase and a (very) few partners.

I had occasion to mention you and your brother LSP the other day while shooting at a neighbor's backyard range. He had a friend shooting with us who was from somewhere along the I-49 corridor in the Natchez - Natchitoches area, I forget where exactly. He worked at a paper mill and retired to this area here a few years back. Said he occasionally shot at an outdoor range with some of the local police when I mentioned knowing you two from online.

I've been up that way by motorcycle in years past...thought I was going to fly away in a tornado somewhere around Alexandria.

Be strong. You'll be in my thoughts.
    Last edited by blues; 03-12-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Well, darn.

Site Supporter

Damn I am sorry to hear this.

I'm focusing plastic people poppers on Glock and SIG since they are what we will be using at work so I just traded my VP-9 for a Ruger March champion. I would not feel under armed with it.

Guy I traded is rangemaster for our local SO range who also teaches part time for a regional academy. He wore the Ruger while teaching recently and had cadets asking him "what kind of gun is that ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Actually, a compact Glock is nice, as a secondary weapon to back-up a serious sixgun.
    I believe Jeff Cooper said that was the best role for the S&W 39/59 back in the early 1980s.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have no words.

Thank you for your words, and your deeds.

I care. I pray.

If I can do anything for you, well, there are plenty of nice bridges to get me across the Sabine River.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I believe Jeff Cooper said that was the best role for the S&W 39/59 back in the early 1980s.
    I believe you are thinking of Elmer Keith.

Praying for you Steve . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I'm focusing plastic people poppers on Glock and SIG since they are what we will be using at work so I just traded my VP-9 for a Ruger March champion. I would not feel under armed with it.

Guy I traded is rangemaster for our local SO range who also teaches part time for a regional academy. He wore the Ruger while teaching recently and had cadets asking him "what kind of gun is that ?"
    In 1997, I had to decide which handguns I wanted to "grandfather" as duty pistols, because as of September First, all newly-added duty pistols had to be one of three specified decocker DA .40 auto-pistols. I decided to go all-1911, and let my revolvers lapse, except for a J-Snub. My favored GP100 sat in the safe until the year 2000, when seven inmates escaped from a state prison in southern Texas, and remained together as an armed burglary gang, hitting SE Texas, and the DFW area, where they murdered a Garland PD officer while stealing AR15 rifles from an Academy store.

We had not been carrying patrol rifles since an edict* in 1983, when I was still in the application process. Shotgun slugs, always off-again, on-again, were off again. I considered my 1911 pistols to be 50-yard weapons, but, I remembered my flat-shooting GP100, pulled it from the safe, and shot a qual with full-pressure Magnums. (It could not be my "primary duty" pistol, but no rule stated that a "back-up" gun had to be small.) I fired fast, intending to be "tactical," rather than trying for a high score. Well, my target had not been scored, because back-up guns are pass-fail, based upon the number of holes within the scoring rings, but my aggregate group would have been a very satisfying duty pistol qual, fired deliberately with a 1911, with which I was training regularly. Three years of no training, versus training regularly, and I shot the GP100 as if I had never set it aside.

To be clear, I do not claim to be an accomplished, skilled, handgunner. I suck less with some handguns, compared to others. My medium/large-frame DA revolver skill is less perishable than my skill with other systems, and the pre-Hogue GP100 factory grip fits me better than anything I have tried, on any revolver.

I really like autos; my first handgun was a 1911, in 1982 or 1983, but I had to start my LE career with revolvers, so made the effort to learn them well, and, goodness gracious sakes alive, I love revolvers.

*The new patrol rifle program was started soon after 11 September 2017.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-12-2017 at 02:33 PM.

User Tag List