Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to EDC a pistol without a traditional belt mounted holster? (medical problems)

How to EDC a pistol without a traditional belt mounted holster? (medical problems)

Obviously a quality gun belt and traditional leather or kydex holster is by far the best option to carry a pistol.

How do you EDC a decent pistol if you can't use a normal belt and holster arrangement? Think abdominal injury, hernia, surgery, medical conditions, etc..... belt pressure is no bueno.

Shoulder holsters obviously come to mind, but I won't carry a gun in a way that flags everyone around me such as a horizontal shoulder holster. External packs would be conspicuous as hell for many occasions.

Any bright ideas?

How to EDC a pistol without a traditional belt mounted holster? (medical problems)

Ankle or pocket...

Here is a cargo pocket holster for my SIg P938.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Obviously a quality gun belt and traditional leather or kydex holster is by far the best option to carry a pistol.

How do you EDC a decent pistol if you can't use a normal belt and holster arrangement? Think abdominal injury, hernia, surgery, medical conditions, etc..... belt pressure is no bueno.

Shoulder holsters obviously come to mind, but I won't carry a gun in a way that flags everyone around me such as a horizontal shoulder holster. External packs would be conspicuous as hell for many occasions.

Any bright ideas?
    You have some pretty narrow parameters to meet. The waist and chest are out, based on what you have said. That leaves an ankle holster or some type of "off the body" carry. What pistol will be carried?

Obviously this is highly individualistic, and may require tuning for your shape. I’m not tall and not skinny, but I’ve found two methods work very well for me:

An LCR in a Dark Star Gear clip straight draw Kydex. I use this going to the gym or for a walk in draw-string shorts.

I also really like pocket carry with a Desantis Nemesis holster. In this case I still use pants with a regular belt however. I’ve done this with both my LCR and P365XL, and Shootin’ Partner’s P365.

Hope this helps.

I have been through some of that. The Mika pocket holster (many work, just my preference), the Fist Model 70 vertical shoulder holster, and the ankle/calf holster got me through it.

Vertical shoulder holster, pocket holster, or ankle holster are your best options based on the parameters.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Issues of all sorts has me unable to wear a belt.

I pocket carry a 42 with a JM Customs Kydex holster and a double reload on the other side with a pocket shield and blue line double pouch.

I am rolling with suspenders to support the weight.

I pocket carry a j-frame S&W 340pd in an Uncle Mike's size #3 holster.

You may want to try suspenders for added support. Wouldn't be confining to your waist area.

Site Supporter
    Galco and FIST both make vertical shoulder holsters with the figure-8 harness that I would recommend for maximum comfort.

Pocket carry, as mentioned above, is a good option. Aholster makes the best pocket holster I have found, although I suggest wrapping some Moleskin around the hook by the rear sight to protect your pocket.

I would discourage ankle carry if recovering from an injury or surgery, but if it works, it is better than nothing.

I hesitate to suggest off body, but depending on where you are going and what kind of bag would not look out of place and could be kept within reach, perhaps it is an option.

I had two abdominal surgeries last fall, one to fix a hernia and the other to clean out the wound cavity after it became infected. When I started going back into public, I carried my G17 in a belly band up high around my rib cage. After a few months, I was able to carry it strongside IWB in my gym shorts. I've just now got to the point I can wear britches that require a belt. I still can't carry AIWB unless it's a quick trip to the store.

User Tag List