Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratcheting EDC Dress Belt.... Do they exist?

Site Supporter

Ratcheting EDC Dress Belt.... Do they exist?

Started to post this in the Mastermind Tactics sub-forum as a question, then realized I can't post new threads there.. Yes, I'm slow sometimes.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a dress belt that doesn't scream GUN, but that also can be adjusted in increments smaller than the space between holes in a leather belt? A half inch can be the difference between "gear falling down" and "uncomfortably tight" for me.

Does anyone make a good dress-quality EDC belt that uses an adjustable system similar to this one?
    Does it work, or is an EDC load too heavy for that sort of closure?

Everything I've touched that uses this system is way too lightweight for a gun.
    Previous thread on "Nextbelt" didn't see any rave reviews..

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Anyone know if this ratcheting system is patented?

Would be interesting to see a JRC or similar quality belt with this closure system and a dressy buckle.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The weak link will be the molded insert that the ratchet catches. Maybe that system incorporated by a quality, non Chicom MFG would be more robust.

I think that a lower profile version of Ares Aegis belt buckle on something like biothane that looks like leather would be more robust for EDC. That lock up system pretty much means you have to tear the belt to have it come loose.

Site Supporter
    Thinking out loud. ..

It would be pretty easy to die-cast the notched side of the ratchet in some sort of design that allowed for it to be either stitched (stitching around cast-in slots or tabs) or riveted (better) in place. Downside is some loss of flex through that area and some additional assembly cost.

More difficult but still possible to improve the strength of the notched plastic by molding in metal edges/catches during the molding process.

Or.. maybe it would work ok as-is.. with just a better quality belt. ?

Trying to make belts that don’t look like a gun belt but still function like one has been a priority of ours.

We have been experimenting for quite a while trying to figure out how to make a leather/biothane belt infinitely adjustable and we haven’t found any way as of yet that would work better than the way a tail on a webbing/velcro belt secures. We are trying to avoid any unnecessary complications so a ratcheting buckle would be a good solution but they are quite abrasive to the leather/biothane compared to a webbing belt (since the ratcheting buckles bite into the tail to secure it). We are still working on it and will come up with a solution eventually.

Our Hybrid belt will be the first of many purpose built carry belts that have a much more refined and ‘non-tactical’ appearance. Although it does not use the ratcheting system you have inquired about it will offer extremely fine adjustments throughout the adjustment range. We are hoping to release the belt within the next 7-10 days, at which point many more pictures and a lot more information about the belt will be available.

As mentioned above the Hybrid will be the first of many belt options that have a dressier aesthetic. We are working on a project that will also offer a much broader range of material selections.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    ............We are trying to avoid any unnecessary complications so a ratcheting buckle would be a good solution but they are quite abrasive to the leather/biothane compared to a webbing belt (since the ratcheting buckles bite into the tail to secure it). We are still working on it and will come up with a solution eventually.
    Seems that the mating surfaces both being plastic (in the above photo) would lessen/prevent damage to the leather/dressy surface, since the locking contact is plastic to plastic... At least it appears that way. I don't read of any surface damage problems with the "Comfort Click" version, but they are not trying to support a gun...

Either way... sounds like you are trying to solve the same problem I'd like to find a solution for.. so.. looking forward to upcoming news from Mastermind.

How do you carry? I have a nexbelt and I actually use it as a dress belt now. It was too stiff for use an edc belt. I carry aiwb and it does the hoola hoop effect on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Been running a next belt for a few months. It works but won't outlast my atlas. Next belt is showing wear/warped at the 6'clock. AIWB every day M&P 9fs or a shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

https://www.boxertactical.com/product/apogee-belt-1-5/
    I have been running a Boxer Tactical Apogee belt for about two weeks now. It's pretty nice. Buckle is lower profile than the Aegis buckle, belt is biothane material that has a give but won't crush under your Holsters attachment points. Completely USA made is a plus as well. Here's a pic of mine when I got it. Maybe not exactly a "dress" belt though... So maybe not an option for you?
    Name:  IMG_1548.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  75.1 KB
    Last edited by CDFIII; 03-08-2017 at 07:46 PM.

User Tag List