Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangemaster, Tom Givens Handgun Core Skills Test.

131 from concealment with closed front garment, glock 19, comp tac infidel at 4:30 position.

My training buddy shot a 98 from an open leg rig...

Both shot with no warm up, and was the first time we shot the drill.

This seems like an excellent drill... Big thanks to Tom Givens

All this talk has me wishing I had thought to run this early today before class.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Here's a clue about the typical skill level of the folks that frequent this forum:

This past weekend we taught an Advanced Firearms Instructor Course at my range. 20 students from all over the country, many active LE firearms instructors. Way above average shots, all.

We did the Handgun Core Skills Test and scored it 5 in the 8" circle, 4 in the 10" circle and only 2 in the bottle, above the belt. Zero for everything else. Average score was right at 100. Best two scores were 137 and 126.

You guys that think 125 is just "good" don't get out enough.
    I'd throw out that while this is a great contest between shooters, I think of it more as a gauge for an individual to challenge themselves and check progress.

I was the 126 Tom mentioned, first time I ever shot that COF. Although I didn't do nearly as well as I thought I should have, I liked it.

I was down time due to one shot dropped into the 2 zone, one draw flubbed a bit due to a T-shirt glitch and switching from my IWB to an ALS holster due to my back being angry that day, and a reload that I botched that added like half a second or more.
    The guy shooting the 137, AJ, had very solid gunhandling skills, and we had a chance to work on his trigger press all morning (he started out that day with a pretty noticeable slap and was chasing that perfect sight picture doing the "NOW!!!!" thing, which really affected his accuracy). He was also shooting a pretty nice 2011 type 9mm with a small magwell, and drawing from appendix, so getting speedy was a bit easier for him as far as equipment.

Anyway, I guess my point is that this test will quickly tell you where your strong and weak points are, and what you need to work on. I think this is a very "street" relevant test for someone with good gun handling skills and a solid marksmanship base.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 06-10-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'd throw out that while this is a great contest between shooters, I think of it more as a gauge for an individual to challenge themselves and check progress.

I was the 126 Tom mentioned, first time I ever shot that COF. Although I didn't do nearly as well as I thought I should have, I liked it.

I was down time due to one shot dropped into the 2 zone, one draw flubbed a bit due to a T-shirt glitch and switching from my IWB to an ALS holster due to my back being angry that day, and a reload that I botched that added like half a second or more.
    The guy shooting the 137, AJ, had very solid gunhandling skills, and we had a chance to work on his trigger press all morning (he started out that day with a pretty noticeable slap and was chasing that perfect sight picture doing the "NOW!!!!" thing, which really affected his accuracy). He was also shooting a pretty nice 2011 type 9mm with a small magwell, and drawing from appendix, so getting speedy was a bit easier for him as far as equipment.

Anyway, I guess my point is that this test will quickly tell you where your strong and weak points are, and what you need to work on. I think this is a very "street" relevant test for someone with good gun handling skills and a solid marksmanship base.
    Glad you weighed in on this Chuck. I was curious as to how that all went down. You are right that it is a god test to use as a gauge for weak points. Me? 25 yards and offhand shooting. Not necessarily at the same time. Next time I run this it will be with my regular G17 with the pro sights as opposed to the RMR. Tom thinks the dot was slowing me down at close range and I don't strongly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    What's the diameter of the circle in the head on that target?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    What's the diameter of the circle in the head on that target?
    I think it is 4", but I'm not certain of it.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Ya'll are going to make me drive down to the range with a tape measure.

I just measured one of the 97 currently stacked on what is supposed to be my conference table. Just under 4.5" was the verdict.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I need to shoot this agin soon.. And Tom is right.. a 125 is a dang good score on this.!!! I can remmember the days that I could not do a 125...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

The scoring seems to be a bit different on some of the posts. I recall we scored 5-4-2 when I shot it, some of the posts indicate 5-4-3 scoring.

User Tag List