Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangemaster, Tom Givens Handgun Core Skills Test.

Your tempting me to break my 642 out of safe retirement and run the test again just for fun but I know I'll short stroke the reset for half the test then when I go back to my Glock 19 I'll be all messed up.

Out of curiosity, does Tom Givens shoot from a Weaver or Modern I stance?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Out of curiosity, does Tom Givens shoot from a Weaver or Modern I stance?
    Well, kinda Weaver??

Just know that he can out shoot most Anyone!!!!!!!! Including my self!!!!! And Im one of eleven, that has passed his "Handgun Master Test" And at ( ah well a man of his age) I SO hope I can Draw a gun when Im his age let alone SHOOT the way he can!!!! Of all the classes I've been in or hosted with Tom I've only bettered his time on some of the drills twice, and I had been shooting all day, Tom did it COLD...

Back to the HCST, The genius of this test is you can do it from Concealment, open, race rig ect and use it to track Your performance!!!
    I run it from concealment using my EDC gear, as I think this is the best way to do it.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I think Tom uses a Modified Isoscoweaver stance

Just out of curiosity, using an IPSC target, how does that corelate to the targets you were refering to?

Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Just out of curiosity, using an IPSC target, how does that corelate to the targets you were refering to?
    Man I guess you could score it the same way 5,3,0 but your score would be a bit skewed from the larger 5 zone. The common theme with all the other targets is the high center chest 8'' zone, or close to that. ( the VSRT is a bit smaller).
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Man I guess you could score it the same way 5,3,0 but your score would be a bit skewed from the larger 5 zone. The common theme with all the other targets is the high center chest 8'' zone, or close to that. ( the VSRT is a bit smaller).
    I'm sure I can adjust accordingly. Thanks for the feedback.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
    Your tempting me to break my 642 out of safe retirement and run the test again just for fun but I know I'll short stroke the reset for half the test then when I go back to my Glock 19 I'll be all messed up.
    Don't do it! You'll stick that Glock back in the blister pack if you start shooting a J-Frame seriously!
    Julius Caesar

My Glocks are already scheduled to go back into the blister packs just waiting on everything to arrive before I switch. I have a ton in Glock so think large blister packs.

More I look at my test results and analyze where I want to improve the more excited I get about this test. Next time I do this test I think I'll take more time and tape the target between stages to get more feedback.

I didn't mention it earlier but thank you for sharing this test Prdator!

Bringing this back to the surface:

My time for the target below was 24.95 shooting a Gen2 G17 from a Safariland GLS holster open carried:

Is the big circle the 5 point ring or is the small circle?

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Rangemaster, Tom Givens Handgun Core Skills Test.

I shot it twice more today. I wore a typical IDPA "shoot me" vest for both runs, and I shot the same G17 as in the above run both times. On the first run, I used the Safariland GLS. On the second run I used a Talon Tactical paddle holster.

I fumbled the reload on both runs. On the second run, I drew and fired three rounds at the 15, started to lower my pistol, and then remember it was four rounds. It is amazing how much a second here and there impacts the score. The one thrown shot on the first run is from the 15.

Times were 27.77 and 30.32 respectively. Scoring as the small, inner circle being the 5-point ring, that comes to a 133.23 and a 125.89.

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List