Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangemaster, Tom Givens Handgun Core Skills Test.

Rangemaster, Tom Givens Handgun Core Skills Test.

I got this from Tom Givens ( www.rangemaster.com) its a really good simple course of fire.

I normally score in the high 130's to Mid 140's. Tom just told me he did a 161 the other day!!!!!!!

Give it a try and see how you do.

Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test, Comstock Count
    Use electronic timer and record the time for each stage.
    3 yds Sidestep, draw, and fire 4 rds. _________

5 yds Sidestep, draw and fire 5 rds total , 3 to the chest,
    2 to the head. _________

5 yds Start gun in dominant hand only, fire 4 rds. _________

5 yds Start gun in non-dominant hand, fire 5 rds. _________

7 yds Draw and fire 6 rds. _________

7 yds Start at Ready, 3 rds only in gun. Fire 3 rds, reload, and
    fire 3 more rds. _________

10 yds Draw and fire 3 rds. _________

15 yds Draw and fire 4 rds. _________

25 yds Draw and fire 3 rds. _________

40 rds total. Total time __________ Target points _________
    IALEFI-QP scored 5,3,0/RM-2 scored 5,3/VSRT scored 5,4,3
    Score targets. Divide points by total time, for Index. Multiply Index X 20 for Final Score. Par Score = 100.
    80-100 = Very good. 100-124= Advanced 125+= Master

Score_________ divided by ___________X 20= _____________

so anyone shot this drill yet?
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

We are diminished
    P -- Can you be more specific on the IALEFI-Q scoring? What zones score 5 and 3?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    P -- Can you be more specific on the IALEFI-Q scoring? What zones score 5 and 3?
    IIRC, its 5 for the 8'' circle and the head box circle, 3 for the rest of the "bottle"

So you could use the PT.com target and just count the center 8'' cirlcle as 5 as well as the 3x5 in the head box, then 3 for the rest of the bottle. Make sense?

I think it's a heck of a 40rd skill test.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

We are diminished
    Excellent, I was hoping we could run it that way with the PTC target. I'll try to run some guys through it over the next month or so.

I've used a IDPA target as well, scored 5 for the 0 down and 3 for the down -1 head box scored 5 ( for head shots only). Its not exact but close enough to get a good feel for the test.

Nevermind, I found my answer when I reread the OP
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Shot it today. Since I am a masochist, I shot it with a Ruger LCR. I used an IPSC target (cuz that's all I got right now), and I shot the final stage from 20 rather than 25 yards.

I did not make par, if I'm doing the math right I got a 44.39. I had 38 out of 40 hits. Looking at the attached picture, the pasters are hits, I used them to count my outside the A zone hits.

I'll try it again in a few days with a K-frame.

Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I like it!

Wow wheeler you are a masochist to do it with a LCR. Nice job!

I shot it today with my Glock 19 RTF2, CTAC holster, and BMC mag holder from concealment on PT.com target with scoring listed previously in the thread for it. Is it supposed to be from concealment? May of messed that part up.

I wasn't shooting at my normal level today judging by my performance tracking on other drills I did. I did this drill at the end of my range session. I think the heat 98 degrees with wind blowing my target stand over constantly wore me down. At least that is my excuse.

I really like the test and it's going in my routine to due once a month like the dot torture but think the scoring may be a little easy for Master rating? If I was shooting this on a normal range and did not trip twice during side step portion I think I could of hit Master which isn't where I would rate my self. I think 135 or 140 will be my goal on this drill.

Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test, Comstock Count
    Use electronic timer and record the time for each stage.
    3 yds Sidestep, draw, and fire 4 rds. ____2.62_____ 2x at 3 points

5 yds Sidestep, draw and fire 5 rds total , 3 to the chest,
    2 to the head. ___4.44______ 4x at 3 points

5 yds Start gun in dominant hand only, fire 4 rds. ____3.16_____

5 yds Start gun in non-dominant hand, fire 5 rds. ____3.49_____ 1x at 3 points

7 yds Draw and fire 6 rds. ___5.78______

7 yds Start at Ready, 3 rds only in gun. Fire 3 rds, reload, and
    fire 3 more rds. ___5.78______

10 yds Draw and fire 3 rds. ____2.89_____

15 yds Draw and fire 4 rds. ___3.42______

25 yds Draw and fire 3 rds. ___3.59______

40 rds total. Total time ___33.02_______ Target points ___186______ 33x-5 points 7x-3 points
    IALEFI-QP scored 5,3,0/RM-2 scored 5,3/VSRT scored 5,4,3
    Score targets. Divide points by total time, for Index. Multiply Index X 20 for Final Score. Par Score = 100.
    80-100 = Very good. 100-124= Advanced 125+= Master

Score____186_____ divided by ____33.02_______X 20= ______112.65_______

Crap picture. Wish I was closer to target but wanted to show why I was falling all over myself on the rocks.
    Last edited by Pennzoil; 04-17-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo on 3 point hits

I like the LCR as an all-the-time carry gun. It's very pointable (is that really a word?), light weight, and the recoil is very managable. I was doing ok until the test stressed the limitations of the gun and associated manual of arms.

1: 7 Yards, Draw and fire 6 rounds. I accomplised this in 17.18 seconds. The reload was performed with a speed strip carried in the strong side front pocket. The short ejector rod was an issue, even with a slap, 2 cases decided to not come out, requiring a bit of mental cursing.

2: 7 Yards, 3 rounds only in the gun. Start at ready, fire 3 rounds, reload, fire 3 rounds. I accomplised this in 17.29. Same issue as above.

3: At 15 yards I was starting to have Point of Aim/Point of Impact failure. I attribute this to A: The short sight radius; B: Ruger's funky (to me) double action trigger; C: I've spent a long time shooting S&W revolvers, and have spoiled myself to their trigger. At long range, I tend to slow down the trigger pull to maintain the sight picture. With the Ruger, it seems to like to be pulled faster. I haven't spent enough time with a Ruger to really dissect this issue. For all I know it might be Operator Failure.

4: 20 Yards, see #3 above. More of the same.

All presentations were performed from concealment.

All reloads were performed with speed strips.

Another note on the accuracy and trigger of the LCR. My previous J Frame style wasa Taurus 605, which had (in my opinion), a better trigger and enough weight to help keep the gun still and steady in the hand. I had consistantly shot the 605 at 15 and 20 yards, and felt very comfortable with my abilities with the pistol. I'm not knocking the LCR, there is definately a learning curve associated with it.

Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List