Thread: Trijicon HD XR rear sight loose in dovetail

Trijicon HD XR rear sight loose in dovetail

Was swapping out the sights on my 229 Legion for Trijicon HD XRs. I got the front sight pushed in well and it's snug; not going anywhere. Went to install the rear sight and I can push the sight completely across the dovetail with firm thumb pressure. If the sight base was a few thousands larger I wouldn't have an issue. Some quick Google-fu suggested to peen the rear sight and then install. I would do that, except this Trijicon rear sight is hollow on the bottom, so I can't peen the sight.

Name:  IMG_1651.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  31.5 KB

Any other suggestions that I can do at home? I really don't want to re-install the factory sights and send this sight off to Trijicon for a replacement. Maybe I should try to peen the sight base? Just don't really have anything to hold the sight while I peen it. I don't know if Red Loctite would be enough to hold the sight secure.
    Shoot more, post less...

Disregard above. Fixed the issue. Pinched the sight base horizontally in a vise a little bit to spread the base out. Pushed the sight in and it's holding steady. If it comes loose I'll just squeeze it a little more and then re-install.
    Shoot more, post less...

A dab of blue loctite will help as well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

In my experience, if a rear sight is loose on a Glock, I first consider the rear sight dimensions. Conversely, with a Sig P series, I tend towards the dovetail being out of dimension.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In my experience, if a rear sight is loose on a Glock, I first consider the rear sight dimensions. Conversely, with a Sig P series, I tend towards the dovetail being out of dimension.
    I installed the same sights on my 226 Legion and my West German 228 and those sights fit with no issues and were snug in the dovetails. Maybe my rear dovetail is slightly out of spec on my 229 but I still think it was the sight. At any rate, it seems to be fixed for now. If it comes loose in live fire I'll address it again.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List