Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard to switch eyes?

What works for me is to only move my head, I just put my nose on the other side of the slide and my left eye picks up the sights. I'm fairly cross dominant so that may help, I use that to shoot weak side barricades etc while still shooting right handed.

OP here (again). In a totally bizarre turn of events my right eye has returned to its state of slight blurriness which is adequate for SC. In a few weeks I'll get in to see an ophthalmologist, but I could tell on the drive to the match that my right eye was "back". I did try a few stages with my left eye, but it was very difficult not to switch during left-to-right swings.
    Last edited by rdtompki; 03-12-2017 at 08:57 PM.

I am naturally right hand and left eye dominant, but have always shot using my right eye.

Recently, due to presbyopia, my right eye has been giving me a slightly more blurry image than my left. I decided in December to start using my left eye. It took me a good month of daily dry fire to make it natural and get my index developed.

I try to bring the gun over to my left eye instead of heavily moving my head. I may move it some, but it is minimal. I have found that brushing my arm/wrist along my rib cage during the draw stroke (OWB, right side holster) gives me a better index and doesn't negatively affect speed.

After almost three months of using my left eye it feels as natural as using my right eye used to, and I'm very glad to have a crisp, clear, front sight back.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 03-12-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

OP here by way of a close-out. I'm switching eyes at least until I have cataract surgery on my left eye. I can see the sights with my script focused at 24", but because of all the scatter in the right eye I have very little contrast. I made a real effort today to use left eye only with my alternate Rx insert which is set up for left eye. I'll have to work every day dry fire to draw and transition maintaining sight alignment, but once I get that going I'm going to be miles ahead. Even know with crystal clear sights shooting left eye I can at least make very fast corrections. Today was really the best practice I've had in two months; I should have bailed on the right eye sooner, but hard to give up on a body part.

Thanks for starting the discussion, as I am interested in reading the responses. I am naturally left-handed, and naturally left-eye dominant, but chose to carry "primary" on the right hip in 1983, because I am naturally right-armed when throwing, and using some larger, heavier tools. The drawing of a heavy, fully-lugged-barreled revolver from the then-PD-issued low-slug, swiveling flap holster was much like the start of an underhand throw. (Drawing into a high #2, and pressing-out, was not part of the equation in those days.)

I tried a few self-taught solutions, including tilting my head when shooting PD-taught modified Isosceles, which we now know is not a best practice, and a Weaver-ish stance with a head-tilt, using my right inner deltoid and bicep muscles as a cheek rest, which is probably not a best practice, either. (Both methods involved keeping both eyes open, and for reference, my vision was 20/13 or better, at the time.) To be clear, I am not recommending either of these self-improvised solutions. Better to keep the head up, and bring the weapon to high-center. When I have done that, only the most alert firearms instructors have noticed I was shooting "cross-dominant."

Now, at age 55.5, with both near and far vision needing correction, I find my dominant left-eye's distance vision to be worsening more quickly than that of my right eye, and in some environments, I find myself closing my left eye, and sighting with my right. I am very interested in reading everything I can find on this matter, so will gratefully follow this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Thanks for starting the discussion, as I am interested in reading the responses. I am naturally left-handed, and naturally left-eye dominant, but chose to carry "primary" on the right hip in 1983, because I am naturally right-armed when throwing, and using some larger, heavier tools. The drawing of a heavy, fully-lugged-barreled revolver from the then-PD-issued low-slug, swiveling flap holster was much like the start of an underhand throw. (Drawing into a high #2, and pressing-out, was not part of the equation in those days.)

I tried a few self-taught solutions, including tilting my head when shooting PD-taught modified Isosceles, which we now know is not a best practice, and a Weaver-ish stance with a head-tilt, using my right inner deltoid and bicep muscles as a cheek rest, which is probably not a best practice, either. (Both methods involved keeping both eyes open, and for reference, my vision was 20/13 or better, at the time.) To be clear, I am not recommending either of these self-improvised solutions. Better to keep the head up, and bring the weapon to high-center. When I have done that, only the most alert firearms instructors have noticed I was shooting "cross-dominant."

Now, at age 55.5, with both near and far vision needing correction, I find my dominant left-eye's distance vision to be worsening more quickly than that of my right eye, and in some environments, I find myself closing my left eye, and sighting with my right. I am very interested in reading everything I can find on this matter, so will gratefully follow this discussion.
    The progression should be something like this for you given your age + left eye issue:

7 yards, 2 inch target, close left eye and only use right eye to aim - slow fire of about 5 rounds, perfect shots, all in the 2 inch target.

Repeat until you get all 5 rounds into the 2 inch target without issue, after you do that, move onto:

7 yards, 2 inch target, both eyes open, low or high ready, on command or buzzer, acquire 2 inch target and close left eye in transition to acquiring target.

Repeat until you get all 5 rounds into the 2 inch target without issue, after you do that, move onto:

7 yards, 2 inch target, both eyes open, holstered (preferably concealed) pistol. On command or buzzer, draw and acquire 2 inch target, close left eye in transition to acquiring target.

7 yards, 2 inch target, both eyes open, holstered pistol. On command or buzzer, draw and keep both eyes open only using your right eye to focus the entire time while acquiring target.

Repeat until you get all 5 rounds into 2 inch target while focusing with only right eye.

Once you do the above, you can repeat at 15 yards and 25 yards.

You may need to shoot each step several times and/or go back and forth between steps to iron things out.

This can also be done dry fire, and I would suggest doing it dry fire for a while before hitting the range.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    ...I should have bailed on the right eye sooner, but hard to give up on a body part.
    I hear that. FWIW, I'm back 100 percent, so far as accuracy goes. Still working on speed, but i'm convinced: use the eye you see best with. Done.

Shot my first left-eye match today. Used a bit of painter's masking tape over the right lens to eliminate binocular rivalry. Sight picture at initial press out isn't great, but the clear sight picture is easy to correct. Transitions still find the sight alignment wanting to drift back to the right eye, but that will come with time. Of course whenever you're working on something at what passes for speed other skills suffered. Over this next month I'm going to slow down in practice and work on creating the proper mechanics. I see this as an opportunity to improve my shooting faced with the necessity of really concentrating on fundamentals.

A LEO family member had a medical incident that caused them to have to wear an eye patch over their dominate eye. They had to do so for a fairly long time, enough so their other eye became dominate. When the patch came off, in the first week, major headaches became common as both eyes fought for dominance.
    The comment made to me was they were happy they didn't have to use their gun, because they really feared if they would shoot straight.

I've pretty much got this thing licked after a few wrong turns. I tried rotating my head to the right to get my left eye behind my normal draw; didn't work well as my software really wanted to keep my head square to my shoulders. Tried an eye patch, but that proved to be really annoying. Finally, I let my brain figure things out; close right eye, index on the draw target, draw, rinse, repeat. Didn't take all that long before my brain rewired things and I don't really have to think about my left eye.

This exercise produced a number of unexpected benefits. I was caused to think very hard about my mechanics and found I had really fallen down in several area. So life handed me a (small) lemon, but I turned it into lemonade. I'm shooting better now than anytime in the past 6-8 months.

User Tag List