Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard to switch eyes?

How hard to switch eyes?

I'm right handed, right eye dominant and also a senior citizen shooting steel challenge. I've experienced some issues with my right eye which may or may not be correctable. I don't think I'm going to have a dominance issues since my left eye vision is now so much better, but can some folks who've had to do something similar comment on the challenges? I'll really have to work coming out of the draw and preferring to shoot left to right I may have to change that. The biggest question I have is how to achieve a natural alignment of eye and sights: 1)rotate head to align with sights or 2)position/rotate grip to naturally align with left eye? I believe #1 is a loser, but it would be interesting to hear other's experience.

I did a combination of 1 and 2 for many many years. Works quite well.

Just close your right eye and the draw will take care of itself. You can then decide if you want to open the eye or not, once you get it down.
    Last edited by SLG; 03-06-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Right handed, left eye dominant here. For me, it's a combination of both #1 and #2. I'm going back to shooting with one eye for right now, but regardless of that I find that a slight head turn and a grip adjustment (both movements are now natural for me) offers me a good balance to align sights to eye and maintain a good ISO stance.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Definitely a combo of one and two. Sort of a meeting in the middle. Most people close their right eye when they are switching.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Right handed and left eye dominant. Tried to tilt my head, but that did not work well for me especially if you're using an isosceles stance. Weaver you might get away with it by using your bicep as a cheek rest.

Not sure what you mean by rotate the grip. I simply keep the gun level and move the gun over till the sights line up with the dominant eye. Head and gun stay upright.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Right handed and left eye dominant. Tried to tilt my head, but that did not work well for me especially if you're using an isosceles stance. Weaver you might get away with it by using your bicep as a cheek rest.

Not sure what you mean by rotate the grip. I simply keep the gun level and move the gun over till the sights line up with the dominant eye. Head and gun stay upright.
    By rotate I mean rotate the gun slightly about the vertical axis. My draw brings the gun up to line up target, front sight, rear sigh and right eye. If I keep everything the same I've go to move the gun over about 2.5" and rotate it slightly to the right. I don't think this is a big deal, but there are many tens of thousands of rounds downrange using my right eye.
    Last edited by rdtompki; 03-06-2017 at 05:55 PM.

I misunderstood what you are saying, and now it sounds like I do neither 1 or 2. There is no need to rotate the gun at all. Bad.

There is no need to rotate your head. Bad.

I move the gun to the left slightly, and move my head to the right slightly, while keeping them both vertical, as they should be. Done.

I am right hand and left eye dominant.

I shot right hand, right eye for years. Until I realized I shoot way better with my left eye at pistol accuracy drills. I started out closing my right eye as I was used to defaulting to it. Now it is natural for me to use my left eye.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I switched eyes recently, due to a detached retina in my dominant eye. Details in this thread, here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eyes-dominance

TL/DR: it took less time than I thought. Mainly because it's pretty natural to, you know, want to see the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I switched eyes recently, due to a detached retina in my dominant eye. Details in this thread, here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eyes-dominance

TL/DR: it took less time than I thought. Mainly because it's pretty natural to, you know, want to see the sights.
    From the Range - turns out the vision in my left eye is so much better that my brain is handling the whole transition "thing". I do find during rapid transitions I'll have to retrain my grip slight to keep things lined up. So, good news (sort of): poor vision in my right eye, but we are a naturally adapting species.

Of further interest: my shooting glasses have a distance prescription in the left eye, 25" in the right eye, but with Kensight night sights the large white circles work even with the left eye prescription. Might just keep it that way and see how things go.
    Last edited by rdtompki; 03-08-2017 at 03:53 PM.

User Tag List