Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wanna Load Fast

I Wanna Load Fast

Dillon super 1050 press
    Only loading 9mm
    In between Bullets right now, H&S has been treating me well.
    I have been loading 10 grains of accurate #7 (9 MAJOR) but an experimenting with HS6
    Lee undersizing die with the rest Dillon carbide. Plan to swap to Redding micrometer seating die.
    All I've ever used was CCI small pistol, and now I use CCI small rifle due to pressure.
    I was loading to 1.175 with the 125's. New 115's are at 1.160 and seem to run a lot smoother. This gun needs short
    I believe the accurate #7 may not be temp stable. When it was cold they were at 172 and now they are at 185PF.
    I want a load that runs the gun straight and is semi flat.
    Results have been mixed so far. No smoke really and accuracy has been good. Getting to gun to run is another story.

Got the press used, needs a new index paw (ordered a upgraded one) and needs a new toolhead return spring. Doing research on which spring I should go with.

Once o get a load I like I need to clean the press and set it up for that load. The bullet feeder also needs to be tuned if
    I plan to run these 115's, getting some upside down boolits.

Overall I'm very happy with my swap to the 1050. I think everyone should start with a 650 unless your pretty mechanically inclined and have a lot of common sense.

#Dillon1050
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-02-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Dillon super 1050 press
    Only loading 9mm
    I have been loading 10 grains of accurate #7 (9 MAJOR) but an experimenting with HS6
    Lee undersizing die with the rest Dillon carbide. Plan to swap to Redding micrometer seating die.
    All I've ever used was CCI small pistol, and now I use CCI small rifle due to pressure.
    I was loading to 1.175 with the 125's. New 115's are at 1.160 and seem to run a lot smoother. This gun needs short
    I believe the accurate #7 may not be temp stable. When it was cold they were at 172 and now they are at 185PF.
    Results have been mixed so far. No smoke really and accuracy has been good. Getting to gun to run is another story.

Got the press used, needs a new index paw (ordered a upgraded one) and needs a new toolhead return spring. Doing research on which spring I should go with.

Once o get a load I like I need to clean the press and set it up for that load. The bullet feeder also needs to be tuned if

Overall I'm very happy with my swap to the 1050. I think everyone should start with a 650 unless your pretty mechanically inclined and have a lot of common sense.
    How fast do you estimate you are loading with that setup? I pretty much only load 9mm now days, and I am debating selling off my 550b at getting a 650 with case feeder to speed up my process.

With my 650 and no bullet feeder I once hit 100 in like 4 minutes and 30 seconds. That was primo brass and balls to the wall.

Before I can run the 1050 fast I need to tweak it and add the new index paw, it doesn't quite make it all the way into its proper "station" and the align rod helps finish it up, I get just a hair of spilled powder if I go fast due to theses issues so I don't load fast. I'm also loading an almost all the way full 9mm case so this wouldn't be an issue issue with minor.

The 1050 is smoother and easier on the arm to load. I really love no back stroke. I'd imagine this will be a lot faster than my 650 MAINLY due to the bullet feeder. I still think a 1050 with bullet and save feeder is faster than a 650 with bullet and case feeder, but probably not by a lot.

My opinion is the 1050 is awesome, the swaging is a plus, requires less force to load, no back stroke, chicks love a 1050 man.
    i used to wannabe

It think the biggest appeal for me to bump up to the 1050 would be that it has a primer pocket swager in the assembly line. At least half of the 9mm cases I get have primer crimps, and about half of those need to be swaged out before seating a primer. Usually I will just pull a case off the assembly line(or just rotate it to help the alignment) and swag it out if I encounter that seating resistance and move on. I'm guessing that running the 650 with case feeder and full auto index that that process will not work. The process doesn't slow me down a whole lot on the 550b, but it is just one more thing that mentally makes the process take longer.

I might just have to consider a 1050 with case and bullet feeder in the near future.
    Last edited by Flintsky; 03-06-2017 at 11:31 AM.

New load

Do aperently I have a really fast barrel (KKM .355). Chronoed the three loads I worked up with HS6 and 115's. 9.0, 9.3, & 9.5.

Like a good little loader I wrote nothing down and just kinda found an average number to use as the PF for that load. 9.0 was like 179PF and 9.5 was 190PF!!!

Settled on 8.8gr on HS6 with a 115 plated bullet at 1.160 with a .376 "crimp".
    Gun is a 2011 open gun, KKM .355 barrel with 2 popple holes and a 2 chamber 4port compensator.

Gonna sight in sometime this week and hope they are accurate. After Alabama state I will fine tune and do more testing. I hate being rushed!

Bullets

It's so much nicer loading plated bullets, I think I'm going to switch to precision deltas 115 JHP. Price isn't too bad and I'm done with lead in my open gun.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Dillon super 1050 press
    Only loading 9mm

You should use up the 3 of so Dillon 1050 Toolhead springs I have laying around as I don't use springs with the 1050.

Also, I have a less worn index pawl if you are in a hurry.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 03-07-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Doesn't the upgraded pawl wear on the stock shell plate pretty badly?
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-07-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    #RESIST

I eventually replaced the index pawl with the upgraded/hardened one from F&FB, as well as the shell plate itself (for both 9mm and 223). The old one was a bit worn after many 10's of thousands of rounds but still worked.

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop...super-1050/27/
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Jesus dude. 8.8 was 177pf in my gun (fast is kkm standard from what I can tell), as long as your SD supports it, I'd bet you'll like it better in the 170-175 range.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    You should use up the 3 of so Dillon 1050 Toolhead springs I have laying around as I don't use springs with the 1050.

Also, I have a less worn index pawl if you are in a hurry.
    I'd love to buy one from you! The index paw from the fast brass and friendly or whatever should be here soon. I took the shell plate off last night and the index paw looks fine but it's not indexing far enough, stop screw is out all the way. Found some interesting things on dillons website on adjusting it.

This is why I called you last night but no... a board of directors meeting is more important than getting my 1050 running.. I'll remember this next time you want to give me stuff and help me

i used to wannabe

User Tag List