Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flinch? Or compensating/anticipating recoil? I really would appreciate some advice.

Ball and Dummy drills are good to tell you that you flinch but not the way to stop doing it.

Once you know you flinch now you have to take focus away from "noise, sound, flash, recoil" and direct that attention to the positive. Aiming correctly and pulling the trigger correctly; controlling the lift, bringing the sights back to target, then "sending" the sights back up as you shoot again.

This is mental. Let recoil flash noise happen; control it - you make it happen; focus on the sights, your trigger, your grip...
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 03-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    A71593

In short, practice even more. Dry fire at the range between live fire, dry fire at home, etc. Eventually you'll start tuning out the 'splosions and focus on the fundamentals.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Ball and dummy wont fix it and for most people, neither will dry fire till the cows come home. Dummy and ball will fix it, and Ive written that out before, so maybe a search will prove fruitful, idk. Or, see LAV, as he is where I learned it some 13 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Ball and dummy wont fix it and for most people, neither will dry fire till the cows come home. Dummy and ball will fix it, and Ive written that out before, so maybe a search will prove fruitful, idk. Or, see LAV, as he is where I learned it some 13 years ago.
    Larry Vickers runs a great drill in his class where you work with a partner. Your partner sets the gun up and you don't know if you have a live or empty chamber. If you flinch you are required to do 10 perfect dry fires. Larry ups the difficulty with a timer beep and the requirement to break the shot during the beep. Another drill with a partner LAV runs is the empty case on your front sight. Dry fire at your pace and then dry fire on command. Really good drills to help those afflicted with El Scatcho syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Larry Vickers runs a great drill in his class where you work with a partner. Your partner sets the gun up and you don't know if you have a live or empty chamber. If you flinch you are required to do 10 perfect dry fires. Larry ups the difficulty with a timer beep and the requirement to break the shot during the beep. Another drill with a partner LAV runs is the empty case on your front sight. Dry fire at your pace and then dry fire on command. Really good drills to help those afflicted with El Scatcho syndrome.
    Thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    @Gio I agree, that was more of a slow fire bulls eye type shooting, not during a match. Should have used your analogy but bullseye shooting is so lame I try not to even type it

But in a match context there still will be a different amount of force used for 2 25 yard head shots and a quick hose with .11 split
    I agree with you for the most part, however, I still disagree with the part in bold. In any kind of action pistol shooting (competitive match or defensive shooting), there should not be a difference in how you fight recoil between 25 yd head shots and quick hoser shots. The only difference should be in how fast you press the trigger and how much you need to see on your sights before shooting.

That Larry drill seems almost identical to a ball and dummy drill and dry fire, only you don't know when the dummy rounds will happen. I solve that by loading 5 magazines with very little attention paid to what I'm loading in what

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I agree with you for the most part, however, I still disagree with the part in bold. In any kind of action pistol shooting (competitive match or defensive shooting), there should not be a difference in how you fight recoil between 25 yd head shots and quick hoser shots. The only difference should be in how fast you press the trigger and how much you need to see on your sights before shooting.
    I certainly loosen my trigger hand when shooting at in-your-face distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    That Larry drill seems almost identical to a ball and dummy drill and dry fire, only you don't know when the dummy rounds will happen. I solve that by loading 5 magazines with very little attention paid to what I'm loading in what
    Yes you can do that. However the drill really changes (increased difficulty level) when you are required to break the shot on Larry's command.

Another variation of the case on the front sight it trigger finger starting position. On the trigger is the easiest. Trigger finger along the side of the frame in the "register" position as Hackathorn calls it is a lot more difficult.

So does Ben Stoeger, so you're in good company
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List