Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flinch? Or compensating/anticipating recoil? I really would appreciate some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I certainly loosen my trigger hand when shooting at in-your-face distances.
    The rational there escapes me. I have one grip and one grip only.

I think the observation that people do different things with their grip depending on the shot difficulty is more about 'something that people do' as opposed to 'how it should ideally be if they were perfect or at least a lot better.' That's always been my impression of those kind of observations.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I agree with you for the most part, however, I still disagree with the part in bold. In any kind of action pistol shooting (competitive match or defensive shooting), there should not be a difference in how you fight recoil between 25 yd head shots and quick hoser shots. The only difference should be in how fast you press the trigger and how much you need to see on your sights before shooting.
    I disagree, but that's ok we are still Internet friends
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I agree with you for the most part, however, I still disagree with the part in bold. In any kind of action pistol shooting (competitive match or defensive shooting), there should not be a difference in how you fight recoil between 25 yd head shots and quick hoser shots. The only difference should be in how fast you press the trigger and how much you need to see on your sights before shooting.
    Maybe that's why Gio is a GM?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    The rational there escapes me. I have one grip and one grip only.
    Standard crush grip doesn't cut it on a 3 yard bill drill I'm trying to burn down. Finger can't actuate quickly enough when the hand muscles are all tensed up. My grip also loosens up during things like reloads where quick and smooth movement is desired.

From a competitive drill standpoint at least. YMMV but I think that's very typical of many shooters. If I could be as limber with a Vader choke I'd go that route obviously, but I don't have ahnuld hands that can be at full exertion all day.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-06-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

In dry fire make sure you are pressing the trigger hard. For me, recoil anticipation is the cause and trigger jerk is the symptom. The Vickers partner drill seems like it would be a good one, at speed that is. Especially the part about the 10 dry fire reps if you flinch. The Frank Garcia dot drill is a good drill - 2" dot at 7 yards, 6 shots in 5 seconds. It is not either/or with Flinch and trigger jerk/low left. They are connected. That you are not seeing the dot go low left in dry fire, but you are in live fire, indicates recoil anticipation due to the noise/recoil/blast. Focus on isolating your trigger finger and pressing hard in dry fire. But like some have said, you have to somewhat shoot out of it, but you have to make sure you are mentally working on it at the range. Just throwing lead downrange in large amounts won't work.
    Last edited by cheshire_cat; 03-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Flinch? Or compensating/anticipating recoil? I really would appreciate some advice.

Peally's explanation mirrors my experience. Also, when I'm at full crush, I feel like my upper body isn't as mobile, probably because of added grip pressure from outward rotation of elbows (Vogel method). For a classifier like CM06-03 Can You Count, you've got to have a super fast draw (less time to form a crush grip), ripping fast splits, 1s reload, and a fast, fairly wide transition. My hands feel much more relaxed than on 25+ yd standards type shooting.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-06-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Maybe that's why Gio is a GM?

Is he? Not that it matters. Just curious
    i used to wannabe

removed, waste of time.
    Last edited by SLG; 03-06-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    removed, waste of time.
    I'm guessing this was a reply meant for me? I wasn't being a troll or trying to start anything. Genuinely curious. There are a bunch of shooters on here and a uspsa classification is one way to tell how skilled a person is. How skilled they are also doesn't correlate to how much knowledge they have about actually shooting (to a point I guess?).

Him being a GM doesn't change anything for me, lots of GM's share different opinions about things. Once again, just curious, I like GM's and want to be one one day.

Ive learned stuff from D class and GM class.
    Last edited by Luke; 03-06-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List