Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacramento sheriff revokes dozens of concealed carry permits

Sacramento sheriff revokes dozens of concealed carry permits

As of February of this year, Sheriff Scott Jones had revoked more than 150 permits for a variety of reasons, including arrests and other contact with law enforcement that didn’t lead to arrest, such as making threats or misusing a weapon. That’s more than any other law enforcement agency in California, according to data from the state Department of Justice.
    http://www.sacbee.com/news/investiga...104717046.html

This seems like the usual slanted report. The Sheriff issued 8,000 permits and had to revoke 78 after the person was arrested? That's 0.975%. Not exactly a terrifying number. If oh look at the chart included in the article for why the permits were revoked, 36 were for DUI. Also, with a couple of the folks profiled in the article, there's definitely more to those stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    If oh look at the chart included in the article for why the permits were revoked, 36 were for DUI.
    Does DUI equal permit revocation?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I guess it does in Sacramento. I believe it also might in other jurisdictions. I only mentioned it because the article reads as if all of these permits are being revoked because the permit holder is unstable or violent and I saw that such a large percentage of the revocations were for DUI. The chart lists 30 for clerical/non specified activity and 17 for contact with police - no arrest.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 03-06-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Site Supporter
    It does in TX. 5 year ineligibility.

GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.
    Text of subsection effective on Jan. 1, 2016
    (a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
    (4) is not charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense, or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense, or of a felony under an information or indictment;
    (8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense;
    TX DUI (first) is a Class B Misd.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 03-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It does in Utah.

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title53/Ch...53-5-S704.html

In FL it's revoked on the second DUI conviction.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Did the guy illegally revoke the permits or did he have legal justification for doing so? Remember a CHL is nothing more than a permission slip form the government. It comes with conditions. If you don't abide by those conditions you will not have your pretty permission slip.

Also, if you're retarded enough to drink and drive you have no business carrying a gun on public.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Did the guy illegally revoke the permits or did he have legal justification for doing so? Remember a CHL is nothing more than a permission slip form the government. It comes with conditions. If you don't abide by those conditions you will not have your pretty permission slip.

Also, if you're retarded enough to drink and drive you have no business carrying a gun on public.
    My very cursory review come up with a misdemeanor DUI not being disqualifying per-se in Cali.

http://www.shouselaw.com/concealed-weapon.html#2.4
    http://www.shouselaw.com/felon-firearm.html#3

I guess the revoking Sheriff could argue that DUI is not "good moral character", a condition for a Cali permit..
    http://www.shouselaw.com/concealed-weapon.html#2.1
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

A DUI in Connecticut is not a statutory disqualifier but it can cause a suitability revocation.

User Tag List