Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any AR pistol love?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I live in a non-NFA state as well. It wasnt too long ago I looked at these things as "novelty toys". Somewhere along the line my opinion changed. They are handy as hell and make a great truck/travel/woods gun. The 5.56 in 11.5" barks pretty loud. More of a sharp crack actually. I put a Noveske Pig on mine which made it more of a directional "boom" but made accuracy go south. With regular 55gr ammo youre looking at maybe 50yds tops for an effective range. More like about 35. With some of the newer offerings you can prolly manage 75yds or so with something like the Barnes 55gr.

I took it one step up and bulit a 8" .300blk. The 5.56 sits on a shelf now. For my needs the .300 loaded with 110gr Barnes TSX will do everything I need in the truck or in the woods. Since it's a pistol, you can have it loaded in a vehicle, take it across state lines and have zero worries. I carry mine in a VERY discreet Philz violin case. Its been a whole bunch of places that peoples heads would explode if they knew. Only change from below is the PA light has been replaced by a single AA 400L.

I have it up north with me right now. Its my constant travel companion. Try to getbsome updated pics tomorrow when its light.

pic uploadcertificity.com
    Last edited by entropy; 04-17-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I spell like a 1st grader

Nice 300 BO! NFA is GtG here in NH so if I ever take the leap for a suppressor, it will go on a 300 BO upper and I'll run it with sub-sonic ammo.

So far my 11.5" ELW BCM upper is showing respectable accuracy with iron sights. With my current go-to load - the Speer Gold Dot 75 grain .223 - it's holding better than 2.5 MOA precision at 50 yards (the same load in my 16" ELW BFH carbine with a 1-4 LPV scope is close to 1 MOA);

Yeah, these things sure are handy and fun to shoot. I have enough confidence in mine now (and my ability to use it) that I would have no hesitation to depend on it in dire circumstances. A good read on the AR pistol configuration by Gabe Suarez here.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 04-18-2017 at 05:11 AM.

An AR pistol is in my long-term plans, with vehicle carry while traveling in multiple specific states being a significant factor, as I near retirement. Here in Texas, loaded long guns inside vehicles are OK, but several states are much less-friendly regarding loaded long guns. Another reason is that my aging eyes are starting to demand illuminated-dot optical sights, and a Picatinny on an AR receiver's rail is a no-compromise way to have a sturdy Aimpoint Micro and really good iron sights.

Site Supporter

Any AR pistol love?

I have an 11.5" that I like quite a bit. FWIW, I've found it's a tenth or two slower on most drills (e.g. the CSAT Standards), due to the lack of a proper butt stock, but it's very light, handy, and transportable, especially with the LAW adapter. I haven't really seen any meaningful differences in accuracy under 250m compared to a normal 14.5 or 16" carbine with similar optics, but it takes me a bit longer to set up the shot.

Sling arrangement needs a little adjustment, but other than that I'm happy with it. If I were doing it over, I'd have bought the version of the cheek weld adapter without the QD's though...they are no value added in the present configuration IMHO. Eventually, I'll add a 6.8 upper, since I'm already vested in that caliber, and an SBR lower, if I can get settled in a state with sensible laws.
    Last edited by Dave J; 04-18-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Ive never really run drills against the timer on it. MThe balance is a bit different, even for mag changes its just a little "off" but certainly something that can be worked thru. I would like to take it to a formal class, but need to find one where I wouldnt be looked at cross-eyed. I agree on the QD with the Thordsen device. Shot it exactly once with the QD installed. Once. Lol. Combine either with a 20rd mag and its just about perfect in balance.

Here's a better pic with the Streamlight multi-fuel light. Certainly a more compact package and puts out enough light for my needs. Im back and forth on the Vortex magnifier. Its better with it off, but when it is Im reminded how bad my eyes suck...so it goes back on. Humph! Age stinks.

post a picturecertificity.com

Here is a pick of the 5.56 and .300 uppers together. I tried to set them up as close to identical as possible. The light mount on the 300 is a Thorntail. The mount on the 5.56 is a Proctor. Both had issues I can expand on if you want. They are both more than servicable however. I found I needed the bigger Magupul foregrip to balance the bigger 5.56 upper in my hands.

upload an imagecertificity.com

Here's the case. Best $20 (on sale) Ive spent in a log while. I have a couple patches that say "Carry On and Play The Violin" and "Chamber Music Lives". I need to have the wife sew those on. Lol. There is a slot to put the violin bow on the edge where the zipper terminates. Ive found a cleaning rod fits perfect. Who woulda thunk??!!

image upload no adscertificity.com
    Last edited by entropy; 04-19-2017 at 11:55 AM.

User Tag List