Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 3" 65-3s @ J&G in Prescott

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    All better (10 yards, no rest):

The yoke button was welded up and machined down. The barrel was brought back into line. I got a nice group at 15 yards into the head. Painted the sights and put on correct (Pach) grips. GTG!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I was just wondering how that turned out, thought about sending a note to ask. Looks like your guy got it up and running alright. Cool.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Most of the delay was waiting for the welding. My gunsmith sends out stainless jobs to someone who specializes in welding stainless and other exotics. Once the part came back, he machined it down and then torqued the barrel a little. He stopped a little short of where he thought might be spot on, for he wanted me to shoot it and see how it printed.

That took it from shooting over a half a foot to the left at ten yards to a couple of inches. I took it back, he tightened it a RCH and that was all it took.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 05-28-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typros
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I once watched a S & W factory-trained San Francisco Sheriff's Dept armorer align a fixed sight S & W revolver. He used a lead window sash weight, with the caveat
    "...I usually don't let anyone watch this part..."

Several brutally precise blows later, the poor stunned thing fired to POA at 25 yards, and still does to this day, 25 years later.

Glad to see things come to a good end, Stephanie!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Stephanie continues to be one of my favorite people I hope to meet one day.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I once watched a S & W factory-trained San Francisco Sheriff's Dept armorer align a fixed sight S & W revolver. He used a lead window sash weight, with the caveat
    "...I usually don't let anyone watch this part..."

Several brutally precise blows later, the poor stunned thing fired to POA at 25 yards, and still does to this day, 25 years later.

Glad to see things come to a good end, Stephanie!
    What was he hitting with the weight? Was he rotating the barrel or bending the sight?

I am guessing he chose a lead weight for the combination of softness and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    What was he hitting with the weight? Was he rotating the barrel or bending the sight?

I am guessing he chose a lead weight for the combination of softness and weight.
    He was aligning the barrel with the frame. Few things are as effective a dead-blow device as a lump of lead.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    He was aligning the barrel with the frame. Few things are as effective a dead-blow device as a lump of lead.
    Babbit that bitz:

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    https://www.amazon.com/Lead-Hammer-K.../dp/B01NBF1Q8M

My only problem is with leaving lead residue all over stuff. Ended up picking up a soft copper 2 lb hammer from Harbor Freight instead for my mechanical work.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I just picked up the one I bought second hand from a guy. I gave him $300 bucks for it. He got it from a guy who paid $537 out the door for it at a metro Atlanta gun shop. $300 bucks for a Model 65 3 inch. I love it!. Mine is in good shape, clean and tight. No push off, cylinder locks up and it doesn't seem abused at all. So far, so good. Haven't popped a cap in it yet..that's tomorrow

User Tag List