Thread: Steyr M Series Safety

Hammertime

Steyr M Series Safety

I have a Steyr M9 that I keep mostly as a curiosity. I have shot it little, but am impressed with the build quality and ergonomics. It is just a neat pistol design.

On disassembly, I can not find any sort of firing pin safety or stop. I have researched it a bit on other forums and it appears that the Steyr relies on the sear-firing pin tab interface as well as the integrity of the frame-slide fit to hold the striker in its fully cocked position.

Steyr claims the pin isn't fully tensioned, but from measuring it, I don't think that is true or maybe it is 99% tensioned when loaded.

I am uncomfortable carrying this thing chamber loaded due to the above considerations. It is probably silly, but if I can't understand how a gun prevents an inadvertent discharge from a drop or other mechanical failure, I don't want to carry it. The limitation is my understanding, because I am sure this thing passed a bunch of drop tests, etc.

Does anyone who understands the trigger system car to take the time to to plain how it works? Is the thing safe/unfireable so long as the trigger is not pulled?

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 03-04-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Firing pin catch?

I remember this subject on Steyr forums, that might be your best bet.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List