Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire Revolvers

I like the 617's, but you need a Sherpa to actually carry it around. If I'm going to carry that much weight I'll just break out a S&W model 41 that has a better trigger and really does shoot like a rifle.
    For plinking, it's hard to beat a S&W model 63-5 3" barrel with the FO Sight, or if maybe you want to have a CCL BUG that is also a blast to shoot- the S&W Model 43c (the c stands for Centennial) is really a great J DAO Hammerless J frame. I have a couple of the 317's, but why really have a hammer on a aluminum J Frame that you are going to shoot DA anyway.
    A lot of the older .22 S&W Revolvers in good shape are getting to be very expensive & hard to get parts for. Pretty much for the Collectors at this point.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 04-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Anyone mention that Ruger has a LCR 22 coming out with a hammer?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-3-lcrx-22-lr/
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 04-13-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Anyone mention that Ruger has a LCR 22 coming out with a hammer?
    My 6" 617 is the one I shouldn't have let get away, but I am interested in the LCRx. Small and light but not tiny, at a (presumed) price point where I want be for what I want a 22 revolver for. Familiarizing new shooters would be one use.

Found this 1961 Bearcat in a shop when my wife was pregnant with our daughter, so of course daddy had to buy it for her. She turned five today, so in a couple more years we'll get her behind it. I shoot in the backyard every 4th of July and New Years, she has a giggle, then we wipe it off and tuck it back away.

I always have my eye out for a 617.

Last edited by StraitR; 04-16-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Anyone have experience with the LCR-X 22 ? The three inch adjustable sight version ?

Not any way close to a classic S&W .22, but I spent way too much for a S&W 43c a few years ago (just as .22LR dried up, timing is always my strong point ). But if you want to go to school on J-frame like sight and trigger control, it is humbling (for me at least) and economical way to work on those skills.

If I fished in places with Copperheads,etc, I'd take it along. Rattlesnakes around here aren't really a problem. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Anyone have experience with the LCR-X 22 ? The three inch adjustable sight version ?
    No experience, but I plan to spend some time at the Ruger booth next week, fondling the LCRx and 9mm LW Commander...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    No experience, but I plan to spend some time at the Ruger booth next week, fondling the LCRx and 9mm LW Commander...
    Just back last night, quite the trip, 1065mi and 18,600 steps (according to my phone).

The LCRx is a neat little package, the longer grip is very nice in my hand. One reflection is that as others have experienced with the SP-101, the 22 has much greater spring pressure. The LCRs were all right next to each other and the centerfire versions were all VERY much smoother. One consideration might be that the other models have been out for years and those particular guns that are tied down to the display have probably been dry fired a brazilian times. Dunno if there are lighter springs available for the LCR?

Another consideration is the 22 SP-101 was right there too, and that was the first time I fondled one. Since I have a 3" SP (that has been to Gemini Customs) it would be cool to have the twinner. It too has heavy springs but BehindBlueI's has posted good results with alternative springs. It is heavier and probably $125-$150 more, but probably has a heavier hammer and be more likely to tolerate light(er) springs.

It would a tough choice, but doesn't matter to me right now because I am trying to figure out selling a bunch of unused archery gear to get one of the 9mm commanders...

I have one of the newer SP-101 22LR 4".... seriously considering having it chopped to 3". Can't find a single pic of this on the interwebz but it keeps popping back into my brain, unbidden by any sense of need, just WANT.
    Last edited by jandbj; 05-01-2017 at 07:51 PM.

This was my Dads. I've never actually seen another Dan Wesson 22. It had a 6" Vented barrel on it and I wanted a 4" V-Heavy. Made a call to DW and they built the new barrel for me.

User Tag List